Took delivery of E19 today - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2022, 11:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Took delivery of E19 today

After a LONG wait, we finally took delivery of our E19 today in Sacramento and drove it home to Napa. It looks spectacular and for all of my concern about towing with our Honda Pilot, it handled the trailer with ease (in 114F heat)!

This is our first ever camper trailer and I didn't have much time to mess around with it once I got it home, and still haven't figured out how to turn the power on

Also I discovered that the freezer door handle is broken - cracked in two places. So I'm hoping that it is just a part that can be replaced and not a full fridge replacement. Otherwise things look to be in great shape.
Attached Thumbnails
HondaEscape2.jpg  
chicojerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Looks good, I like how the blues match

Glad you survived a first tow in that insane heat, I'm up in Tahoe and it's hot as all get out even up here!

Anyways for power, do you mean when plugged into shore power, or just on its own? Do you know about the battery disconnect switch?
Old 09-07-2022, 09:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Anyways for power, do you mean when plugged into shore power, or just on its own? Do you know about the battery disconnect switch?
Just on its own. I don't know about the battery disconnect switch, but I did find a little power button under the dining table and when I pressed that I heard something come on under the bench and I noticed the clock on the oven came on, but I still couldn't get interior lights or the maxx fan or anything else to work. I am a 100% newbie at this
Old 09-07-2022, 09:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0
That sounds like it was the inverter that you turned on, I'm guessing you had a solar system installed. Look for another switch, instead of a soft push button it will be a metal toggle switch (up/down), probably in the same general area. Mine is an older and different model, but my switch is on the other side of the dinette as my inverter switch...maybe someone with a newer 19 will chime in on where yours should be.

Or maybe it was PG&E, they were threatening to turn everyone's power off yesterday...
Old 09-07-2022, 11:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
That sounds like it was the inverter that you turned on, I'm guessing you had a solar system installed. Look for another switch, instead of a soft push button it will be a metal toggle switch (up/down), probably in the same general area. Mine is an older and different model, but my switch is on the other side of the dinette as my inverter switch...maybe someone with a newer 19 will chime in on where yours should be.
The newer style battery disconnect switches installed since late 2019 should be located under a dinette bench seat. Red switch on a black backplate as seen here:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post393555
Old 09-07-2022, 01:07 PM   #6

Thanks all! I haven't had a chance to get back into the trailer, but it sounds like the battery disconnect switch is probably in the "off" position. I do have solar as well as inverter which I now understand bypasses the battery disconnect so that's why when I turned the inverter on I was getting power to some appliances but not the rest of the trailer. When I get home from work today I'll flip on the battery disconnect and hopefully will be in business.

Next question: I'm assuming the A/C will need shore power or a generator to operate? Is this the only appliance that requires shore power/generator?
Old 09-07-2022, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicojerms View Post
Thanks all! I haven't had a chance to get back into the trailer, but it sounds like the battery disconnect switch is probably in the "off" position. I do have solar as well as inverter which I now understand bypasses the battery disconnect so that's why when I turned the inverter on I was getting power to some appliances but not the rest of the trailer. When I get home from work today I'll flip on the battery disconnect and hopefully will be in business.

Next question: I'm assuming the A/C will need shore power or a generator to operate? Is this the only appliance that requires shore power/generator?
Just to clarify your solar is providing DC power but only directly to the battery for charging. If your disconnect position is such that power is off (and everything is wired properly) you will not have any 12V DC power in the trailer. (The only exception is that the emergency breakaway switch for the brakes should stay active even with disconnect off. This is worth checking but typically it's a moot point because an owner should normally tow with the disconnect switch in the position with all power on) When you turned on the inverter you had 120V AC power to all outlets which should include the microwave. Assuming the battery disconnect switch is your issue as soon as it is flipped you will then have power to all 12V DC devices (lights, MaxxFan, range hood, bath fan, 12V outlets, etc.)

Yes, if you have the inverter the A/C is generally the only appliance that requires shore power or generator to operate. The exception is that some of us have generous lithium battery banks and can run our A/C on inverters. Depending on your battery package you may need to be careful with how much you run any high draw appliances with the inverter as you can run the batteries down pretty quickly.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Yes, if you have the inverter the A/C is generally the only appliance that requires shore power or generator to operate. The exception is that some of us have generous lithium battery banks and can run our A/C on inverters. Depending on your battery package you may need to be careful with how much you run any high draw appliances with the inverter as you can run the batteries down pretty quickly.
Thanks for the great info! I've got the lithium batteries and two solar panels, hopefully they don't run down too quickly on the inverter, but we'll get a chance to test that in a couple weeks with our first trip. I am very likely going to pick up the Generac 3300i generator. I've been reading some great things and it should start and power the A/C no problem.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 E19
I'm in my newly acquired 19 in a wonderful campground in Hawkshaw New Brunswick, overlooking the Wolastoq River. About as far away from you as is possible!
I've figured out lots of things about the trailer just by using it and I'm sure you will too. The manuals are a great resource. Today I figured out how to run the water heater on AC power (switch behind the exterior cover). Also sorted out how to run our Norcold fridge on propane. Plus I realized that if I plan on showering outdoors I need to bring flip flops!
Have fun!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Today I figured out how to run the water heater on AC power (switch behind the exterior cover).
One popular mod is to add an interior switch for the water heater. The exterior one stays on permanently. Saves having to go outside in wet etc. and turn it on.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
One popular mod is to add an interior switch for the water heater. The exterior one stays on permanently. Saves having to go outside in wet etc. and turn it on.

Ron
That makes sense. I'll put that on the list, thank you!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I'm in my newly acquired 19 in a wonderful campground in Hawkshaw New Brunswick, overlooking the Wolastoq River. About as far away from you as is possible!
I've figured out lots of things about the trailer just by using it and I'm sure you will too. The manuals are a great resource. Today I figured out how to run the water heater on AC power (switch behind the exterior cover). Also sorted out how to run our Norcold fridge on propane. Plus I realized that if I plan on showering outdoors I need to bring flip flops!
Have fun!
Awesome! Our first trip is to a local county park about 15 minutes from our house. Just an opportunity to test things out and have a safety net in case we get into trouble. They only have water hookups, no electricity, so it will be a good opportunity for us to learn how to run on just the batteries with solar recharge for a weekend.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
They only have water hookups, no electricity, so it will be a good opportunity for us to learn how to run on just the batteries with solar recharge for a weekend.
Just remember that folks have been RVing for a lot of years, long before solar and led lighting and managed to go for days without plugging in. With 100W on the roof and 100W portable we can sit indefinitely in one place. It's all about energy management. Treat your electricity like it's a scarce resource and you'll be fine.

On the other hand if you've brought along every electrical appliance from your kitchen, good luck. It's all about priorities.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Awesome! Our first trip is to a local county park about 15 minutes from our house. Just an opportunity to test things out and have a safety net in case we get into trouble. They only have water hookups, no electricity, so it will be a good opportunity for us to learn how to run on just the batteries with solar recharge for a weekend.
That is awesome, chicojerms! Rubicon did a great job explaining the relationship of the battery disconnect switch and the inverter. A good rule of thumb is to only turn off your battery disconnect switch when the trailer is in storage. Keep the switch ON when not in storage. Tow, camp, use the trailer with the switch ON. The inverter stays OFF unless you need a 120 outlet and you are not on shore power. As soon as you no longer need the 120 outlet, turn the inverter OFF. If you are on shore power, the inverter is not needed!

Cheers

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the great info! I've got the lithium batteries and two solar panels, hopefully they don't run down too quickly on the inverter, but we'll get a chance to test that in a couple weeks with our first trip. I am very likely going to pick up the Generac 3300i generator. I've been reading some great things and it should start and power the A/C no problem.
You are all set. Now knowing you have multiple lithium batteries and dual solar panels you can really be quite generous with inverter use and still be fine especially if appliance use is short duration (microwave, toaster, etc). Extreme case but as a point of reference I am able to run my 9,000 BTU mini-split A/C for 6+ hours with trailer in full sun on a very hot day on 400AH lithium battery via 2000W Xantrex Freedom inverter with no solar contribution. With the sun down and more reasonable outside temperatures I’ve been able to run it completely through the night 10+ hours and only bring the battery down about 25%.