Wanabee here... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 1,990
yes i was thinking 40k was low
__________________

Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: In my Escape...full time, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Make that 50's if you want leather (Lariat or higher trim package), and a Supercrew cab.
Wow, that's nutz! Well, at least for this retired guy. Now I know for sure I will be buying a used TV

Thanks again to all for the info!
__________________

CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:01 AM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Trailer: Escape 19 2016
Posts: 7
Any SUV with 5000lbs pulling capacity did not work for us. After months of research on TV, considering all the facts about horse power and torque, we have decided to go for BMW X5 diesel which offers the lb-ft torque we needed to pull our 19' Escape. Our first TV was Nissan V6 Frontier truck with towing capacity 6000lbs. We've learned our lesson hard way when we picked up our trailer delivery from WA and drove back through high elevation terrain 9000 ft. above sea level. We had no choice but drive really slow as it was struggling to pull even the empty trailer on highway. Somehow we've made it home with our new trailer and learned that we need sufficient torque more than anything. Now, we've settle our choice of TV with X5 twin turbo V6 delivers 265 hp, 425 ft-lb torque. We've made quite a few trips since and noticed the difference instantly. In short, whatever the car/truck you choose, the combination of hp and torque makes huge difference.
Dockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:11 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 1,990
Like I said everyone has a strong opinion on this subject! I bought my ( now sold ) 17 from Leon he has been pulling a 21 successfully with a highlander across the country for a few years with no issues.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockers View Post
Any SUV with 5000lbs pulling capacity did not work for us. After months of research on TV, considering all the facts about horse power and torque, we have decided to go for BMW X5 diesel which offers the lb-ft torque we needed to pull our 19' Escape. Our first TV was Nissan V6 Frontier truck with towing capacity 6000lbs. We've learned our lesson hard way when we picked up our trailer delivery from WA and drove back through high elevation terrain 9000 ft. above sea level. We had no choice but drive really slow as it was struggling to pull even the empty trailer on highway. Somehow we've made it home with our new trailer and learned that we need sufficient torque more than anything. Now, we've settle our choice of TV with X5 twin turbo V6 delivers 265 hp, 425 ft-lb torque. We've made quite a few trips since and noticed the difference instantly. In short, whatever the car/truck you choose, the combination of hp and torque makes huge difference.
Curious, was there any change in towing mileage between your two TVs?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
BCnomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: O town, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Posts: 1,470
"When you look for advice, make sure it's from someone towing your trailer, in your backyard, with the same expectations"


-horribly paraphrased quote from another forum
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: In my Escape...full time, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockers View Post
Any SUV with 5000lbs pulling capacity did not work for us.
Thanks for relating your experience. This is one of the things I am concerned about. I know experiences will vary for many reasons which is why I'm thinking a bit of overkill for a TV would not be a bad move. Ideally, I'd like my everyday vehicle to also be my TV. Depending upon what I end up with for a trailer, however, that may not be realistic. Thinking about a Highlander as everyday choice as it's not huge and it is dependable. Some folks seem to have had good luck using it with a 19. Others, perhaps not. Thanks again!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 15,162
It's all to do with expectations. I tow my 17B with a RAV4 Sport V6. I regularly summit the Coast Mountains and the Rockies without difficulty. Maybe not in the fast lane, but without difficulty.
If you need to go really fast, you can always leave the trailer at the bottom of the hill.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,445
Get in line

About nine times out of ten when I'm going over a pass I am not the slowest vehicle in the parade and usually just pull in behind vehicles making an acceptable speed. If there are two lanes I will pass very slow loaded trucks to maintain my momentum. I rarely hold up the parade and if I do, I use a pullout to let the speedy ones go by. A lot depends on highway design too. It's not a race out there and when I'm traveling I don't wear a watch, come to think about it, I haven't worn a watch for about 20 years. I used to be late for a meeting once in a while but it never affected my overall job performance. I worked 55 hours a week average and got paid for 40. Nobody said I was smart, just dedicated.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: In my Escape...full time, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
About nine times out of ten when I'm going over a pass I am not the slowest vehicle in the parade and usually just pull in behind vehicles making an acceptable speed.It's not a race out there and when I'm traveling I don't wear a watch,
Dave
Yep, once I get on the road, I will not be in a hurry

Thanks for the input!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Loserpeg, Manitoba
Trailer: 2010 Palomino y series
Posts: 87
Interesting on the Frontier struggling, how many gears and what year was it? I assume 5 speed auto and 4.0 v6?

I am looking at 19 Escape and have a 2014 3.7 v6 F150. I have towed my 5x10 enclosed with it maybe 3000#s no issue, and I have towed my 2500# or so 10 foot pop up from Manitoba through to Kelowna BC no issue. My truck does not have factory tow package, but I added a brake control. Mine is rated for 5000#s and I dont want to upgrade the truck as its paid off.

Turbo gas engines and turbo diesels dont suffer at altitude like naturally aspirated engines do, so if you plan to tow near your max a lot especially at heights they may be good ideas for TV.
Id say Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner are all on paper capable of towing a 19 for SUVS. Any half ton truck too probably. And new diesel chevy/gmc mid size twins.
__________________
14 F150 SCAB 4x4 3.7v6 Bunch of mods. Pulling a 2010 Palomino Y series made of OSB, staples and glue.
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #32
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
I am looking at 19 Escape and have a 2014 3.7 v6 F150. I have towed my 5x10 enclosed with it maybe 3000#s no issue, and I have towed my 2500# or so 10 foot pop up from Manitoba through to Kelowna BC no issue. My truck does not have factory tow package, but I added a brake control. Mine is rated for 5000#s and I dont want to upgrade the truck as its paid off.
Your F150 will easily tow a 19. And, I think your towing capacity is higher than 5K. Here's the portion of the towing capacity chart for the 2014 F150 with the 3.7L V6. Towing capacity ranges for that engine are from 5500 to 6300 lbs.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Loserpeg, Manitoba
Trailer: 2010 Palomino y series
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Your F150 will easily tow a 19. And, I think your towing capacity is higher than 5K. Here's the portion of the towing capacity chart for the 2014 F150 with the 3.7L V6. Towing capacity ranges for that engine are from 5500 to 6300 lbs.
I do not have factory tow package. This limits towing to 5k. I don't feel like swapping out the rad and adding a transmission cooler at this point either.
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 12,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Your F150 will easily tow a 19. And, I think your towing capacity is higher than 5K. Here's the portion of the towing capacity chart for the 2014 F150 with the 3.7L V6. Towing capacity ranges for that engine are from 5500 to 6300 lbs.
My guess is that footnote (1) says "when properly equipped".
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
19 foot, tow vehicle, wannabee

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×