Wanabee here... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #1

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Wanabee here...

Hello all! Wanting to get a FG trailer sometime in the next year or so and have been doing some research on the available options. Scamp, Casita, etc. I really like the Escape products, at least from what I read about them. Layout of the 19 looks like it would be perfect for me (and possible SO). A bit heavier than the other brands but guess that's the price of quality and space. That said, wondering about appropriate tow vehicle. I'm in a situation in which I need to replace my current car so thinking getting something that would serve as a TV as well would be smart. Seems like the characteristics of a good TV and a quiet/comfortable vehicle are a bit mutually exclusive though. Decisions :-) Looking forward to being part of the community. Hope you all have a wonderful camping season!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Carl,
Any SUV that can tow 5000 lbs and a hitch with 2" receiver rated for 500#, preferably with a tow package and brake controller.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We tow our 19 with a 2013 Pathfinder, with the Fastway E2 hitch. But we only do local, short trips at this point in our lifes. When we retire and want to take longer trips, we will probably upgrade to a truck.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Toyota highlander with tow package is often the choice. Several people use it to tow the 21 so it will probably work well for the 19. I used it to pull my 17B because i wanted car for everyday driving and did not want a truck. Although now i drive an f150 truck because i bought a 5.0 TA. but i still miss my Toyota Highlander!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
You will find people have many strong opinions about TVs. But CPAharley is correct just find a V6 that you like that can tow 5000 pds and has a tow package.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Awd/4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
You will find people have many strong opinions about TVs. But CPAharley is correct just find a V6 that you like that can tow 5000 pds and has a tow package.
I might add that AWD/4WD (all'wheel drive/4 wheel drive) would be a plus feature over 2WD for a 19 or 21. We have a 2WD Honda Pilot (V6, w/factory tow package - 3500 lb. rating) for our Escape 17. It is fine for our size trailer, but the 2WD has been evident a couple of times starting out up-grade
on gravel, dirt, or slick paved roads. (Detail: because of the differential mechanism in the final drive system, in loose or slick areas where you loose traction in one wheel, you're essentially using one-wheel drive, and it's the one that's spinning). If we were to get "2 foot-itis" and go to a 19 or 21, I would definitely go with AWD.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Have you been in one of the nicer four door trucks lately? Our 2010 F150 Lariat is very plush, quiet, comfortable; and a more than capable TV. It also handles two foot iitis without a hiccup!

And tow packages on pickups are quite nice with factory integrated brake control, tranny cooler, 7 pin plug, etc. and wider tow mirrors are readily available. And lots of room for stuff.

IMHO the comfort cars of my parents generation: Lincoln Town Car, etc., have been replaced with luxurious pick ups.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My parents owned a Lincoln Town Car, leather seats... electric everything. My 2014 Ford F-150 has better amenities, rides better and is more comfortable. Trucks today... are not your Grandfather's farm truck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
Seems like the characteristics of a good TV and a quiet/comfortable vehicle are a bit mutually exclusive though.
We tow our 19 with an F150 Lariat 2.7L EcoBoost and I can't begin to tell you how smooth, quiet and comfortable it is. And, with only 2WD, no HD Tow Package and a standard axle ratio, we can still tow up to around 8000 lbs easily, and average around 16 mpg doing it. Times, they are a changin'.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
If you like pickups, my Toyota Tacoma with tow package works very well with the 21.

I think the Ford F150 with HD tow package is probably overkill: that will pull Hell off its hinges.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
If you like pickups, my Toyota Tacoma with tow package works very well with the 21.

I think the Ford F150 with HD tow package is probably overkill: that will pull Hell off its hinges.
At this point in time, I'm thinking the Tacoma will be my next vehicle. But that could change when the time comes to buy in a few years.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #12

Thanks for that! I have been considering the Highlander as my next vehicle but was not sure a unibody SUV would be up to the towing task for the heavier Escape trailers. Sounds like your experience was positive so that's great to know. Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #13

Thanks! 16mpg... is that towing or not towing? I've owned turbocharged cars for the past 30+ years so am sold on that technology!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We tow our 19 with an F150 Lariat 2.7L EcoBoost and I can't begin to tell you how smooth, quiet and comfortable it is. And, with only 2WD, no HD Tow Package and a standard axle ratio, we can still tow up to around 8000 lbs easily, and average around 16 mpg doing it. Times, they are a changin'.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #14

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info! I will most likely purchased a used vehicle so it's great to know what some of the options are. Highlander is on my list though I could see going with a pickup of some sort if test drives are positive ;-) Tacoma seems to be popular though pricey in the pre-owned market. What kind of fuel economy do folks experience while towing with their particular TV? I'm used to 40mpg in my VW TDi so whatever I buy is going to be a big drop!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks! 16mpg... is that towing or not towing? I've owned turbocharged cars for the past 30+ years so am sold on that technology!
That's towing Carl. Unhooked we get around 25.5 average.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Surprisingly, the new Toyota Tacomas are not much smaller than an F150, and the fuel economy of a V6 Tacoma with a good tow rating is no better than an F150 with the eco boost drivetrain.

In the "old days" my Toyota SR5 pickup was truly a small truck. Anymore, everything has gotten bigger.

Another side "benefit" of an F150, IF YOU BUY USED: F150s depreciate much faster than Toyota Tacomas. So my five year old used F150 with 12,000 miles on it cost less than half of original MSRP. Now if you buy new, its the total opposite. And my truck will continue to depreciate which is bad if I resell it but OK if I keep for the duration.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and so has the price tag grown, a nicely equipped unit will be in the 40's.....
Old 06-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... In my days in the biz...we had a base Dodge short box slant 6, 4 spd. manual for $6995.00. The boss used to say "Heaven help the guy that sells that one"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the helpful info! I will most likely purchased a used vehicle so it's great to know what some of the options are. Highlander is on my list though I could see going with a pickup of some sort if test drives are positive ;-) Tacoma seems to be popular though pricey in the pre-owned market. What kind of fuel economy do folks experience while towing with their particular TV? I'm used to 40mpg in my VW TDi so whatever I buy is going to be a big drop!
Carl,
We turned in our VW TDI 6-spd manual last month, and replaced it with an Audi A6 3.0 TDI. Now that's a car. We tow with the Ram 3.0 diesel, and love it, but you can't buy them right now, at least not new ones, due to emissions litigation.
The recent 6,000 mile trip calculated out to 18.2 mpg, but I don't usually go over 60 mph.
As you choose a tow vehicle, you should decide if you want one that will do pretty well, or one that will tow like there's almost nothing behind you. Our 4Runner was the first type, our Ram is the second.
In your original post you mentioned "quiet/comfortable". The modern pick-ups are definitely that, and a lot more. Don't drive either of the Ford turbo's. You'll fall in love with the power. You might see if you can get those Ford engines in one of their SUVs, if your family is uncomfortable with a pick-up.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Make that 50's if you want leather (Lariat or higher trim package), and a Supercrew cab.

In my case, a lease is better than a purchase. I'm out of town alot on business, and pretty much the only miles I'm putting on the truck are when I'm towing the trailer. Have an ultra low mileage lease currently, and will still be under the mileage allowance in March of next near when I trade it in for a new one. It also means a loaded truck for around 500 a month. Works for us.

Tags
19 foot, tow vehicle, wannabee