What Can't You Live Without - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #21

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
OK, didn't realize that you actually had a compressor fridge. So your blanket condemnation of all absorption fridges isn't based on experience with the current offerings.

Ron
Nope, though were I to speculate, I would hypothesize that there has been little advancement in the technology behind absorption fridges since Albert Einstein invented it.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
We got the back up camera. Used it twice and never since. Would not purchase again. Front storage box is fantastic. Also having 12V drops to overhead cabinets was really useful so I could install LED lights in each cabinet. Not only lights up the cabinets to find things, but also provides nice ambient light thanks to the clear panels in the cabinet doors. Seldom use the overhead lights as the ambient lighting provides enough (except for reading)
We are in the same boat with respect to the backup camera. We have not even used it twice. Will uninstall at some point...
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Nope, though were I to speculate, I would hypothesize that there has been little advancement in the technology behind absorption fridges since Albert Einstein invented it.
We used our 3 way refrig for 4 years in our 21c, it always worked perfectly, even when it was 105 in Kansas. But choice is always good.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:24 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We are in the same boat with respect to the backup camera. We have not even used it twice. Will uninstall at some point...
I sometimes camp alone at music festivals, I had a portable camera, it was very handy to see what was behind me as I backed into the site. Ymmv
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:24 PM   #25

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
LOL! The absorption fridge in our Escape is far superior to those we've had in the past and would buy one again.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Maybe old Albert didn’t like real cold beer? And had a brother in law in the Dometic parts department.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-17-2022, 02:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 E19
I think the installation technique plus vent positioning is 3/4 of the battle with the absorption fridges. Many RV mfrs and their assembly workers give little thought to the install recommendations of the fridge makers, and this often leads to poor performance. Possibly ETI has been more diligent in this regard, although I think I've seen a few (not too many) complaints on this forum in the past.

Of course, even a well-installed, properly operating absorption fridge will be slow to recover after it's been opened a few times. Compressor fridges will always win this battle. Compressor fridges can cool to a greater temp difference versus ambient than absorption units. And the compressor fridge will never have a pilot light get blown out by a strong wind or a big rig passing in the other direction.

Since ETI doesn't offer a compressor fridge in the 17', I only get to choose between 3 cu ft and 4 cu ft. Absent experiential feedback from Escape owners as to whether one will cool better than the other, I may have to flip a coin! But if it doesn't cool to my satisfaction, my backup idea is to buy a small, top-opening compressor fridge that can be plugged into 12V when the ambient temps prevent the built-in unit from doing its job. Some stuff isn't critical and can still ride in the absorption fridge, but I want my milk, meat, leftovers, etc. to stay plenty cool.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:09 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA - June 2022
This is all great information, thanks again community!
Frisco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I think the installation technique plus vent positioning is 3/4 of the battle with the absorption fridges. Many RV mfrs and their assembly workers give little thought to the install recommendations of the fridge makers, and this often leads to poor performance. Possibly ETI has been more diligent in this regard, although I think I've seen a few (not too many) complaints on this forum in the past.

Of course, even a well-installed, properly operating absorption fridge will be slow to recover after it's been opened a few times. Compressor fridges will always win this battle. Compressor fridges can cool to a greater temp difference versus ambient than absorption units. And the compressor fridge will never have a pilot light get blown out by a strong wind or a big rig passing in the other direction.

Since ETI doesn't offer a compressor fridge in the 17', I only get to choose between 3 cu ft and 4 cu ft. Absent experiential feedback from Escape owners as to whether one will cool better than the other, I may have to flip a coin! But if it doesn't cool to my satisfaction, my backup idea is to buy a small, top-opening compressor fridge that can be plugged into 12V when the ambient temps prevent the built-in unit from doing its job. Some stuff isn't critical and can still ride in the absorption fridge, but I want my milk, meat, leftovers, etc. to stay plenty cool.
We had Escape install Nova Kool compressor fridge in our 5.0 last year. We are very happy with it.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I sometimes camp alone at music festivals, I had a portable camera, it was very handy to see what was behind me as I backed into the site. Ymmv
I am still on the learning curve as far as backing 5.0 is concerned. It does not induce as much angst - as I have have made great stride from utterly incompetent to basically incompetent. Also, all of our camping experiences have been (and hopefully will remain) with my wife. I still get out a couple of times to see how poorly I am doing while she tries to keep me from hitting anything. The camera would just lead to more chaos...

But, that doesn't apply to the OP who sounds like an expert...
Old 01-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
I am still on the learning curve as far as backing 5.0 is concerned. It does not induce as much angst - as I have have made great stride from utterly incompetent to basically incompetent. Also, all of our camping experiences have been (and hopefully will remain) with my wife. I still get out a couple of times to see how poorly I am doing while she tries to keep me from hitting anything. The camera would just lead to more chaos...

But, that doesn't apply to the OP who sounds like an expert...

Speaking as someone with a CDL and experience backing semi's, you have the gist of it right.

I understand the angst, especially for people new to an RV and new to backing up any kind of trailer. But in practice the mirrors on your tow vehicle and your head swiveled to the inside turn side are much more useful in backing up than any view from the back of the trailer itself. That's because at all times you are actually judging not only where the trailer is going, but the angle between the trailer and the tow vehicle. Backing up requires management of both in concert.

Some people also like a camera to watch traffic when driving forward, but I expect this means that they don't have a great mirror setup. I put giant tow mirrors on my pickup and I can see everything I need to behind me and alongside.

For the OP, a lot of 'must have' relates to how you camp. We camp dry or boondock and spend most of out time outside (including cooking) unless the weather is really bad. so for us this makes the front storage box and optional hatches very important.

We also would call a full solar / Li battery setup a 'must have' for how we camp, although I did a mix of ETI options and my own installation.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I think the installation technique plus vent positioning is 3/4 of the battle with the absorption fridges.

Since ETI doesn't offer a compressor fridge in the 17', I only get to choose between 3 cu ft and 4 cu ft.
The problem with a blanket general condemnation of a type of unit is that it's often not the type of unit but the individual parts that have been changed over the years.

For example, in compressor type fridges, I had an Engel 220V, 12V fridge in my boat in Europe. It was a pig on 12 volts. The only way to use it was when the boat was running and it was basically running off the alternator. Fortunately I had an engine driven holding plate system that made up for its' deficiencies.

But I had a Nova Kool in my boat here and it was great, almost like a different animal but it also was a 12V compressor fridge.

Which brings up my main point and if a person wants a 12V compressor fridge but for some reason can't get a factory install or work around space considerations there is another option. In my boat here I bought a Nova Kool LT unit, F type which is the compressor unit and the plates with an easy connect hose precharged hose between them. Built my own custom well insulated box. So that options there also.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Speaking as someone with a CDL and experience backing semi's, you have the gist of it right.

I understand the angst, especially for people new to an RV and new to backing up any kind of trailer. But in practice the mirrors on your tow vehicle and your head swiveled to the inside turn side are much more useful in backing up than any view from the back of the trailer itself. That's because at all times you are actually judging not only where the trailer is going, but the angle between the trailer and the tow vehicle. Backing up requires management of both in concert.

Some people also like a camera to watch traffic when driving forward, but I expect this means that they don't have a great mirror setup. I put giant tow mirrors on my pickup and I can see everything I need to behind me and alongside.

For the OP, a lot of 'must have' relates to how you camp. We camp dry or boondock and spend most of out time outside (including cooking) unless the weather is really bad. so for us this makes the front storage box and optional hatches very important.

We also would call a full solar / Li battery setup a 'must have' for how we camp, although I did a mix of ETI options and my own installation.
Thanks a lot! We are way behind where you might be but, after considerable struggle, what we are trying to do seems good. We have good mirrors on F150 and we extend them out when backing up. Similarly while driving, we have are comfortable with the mirrors.

In terms of what we find most useful - good cooking range (we had Escape install Dickinson cooktop), hooks to hang items (I forget the names), Lagun table are some of our favorite features.

No front storage option in 5.0.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:05 PM   #34

When I’m backing into a site and I especially want to be straight in (lined up with the pad edge and to one side or the other of the pad, I remotely adjust my vehicle mirrors down so that I can see the tires in about the middle of the mirror, and can see the sides of the trailer. Going slow allows very accurate adjustment of trailer angle and depth into the site. When done, I adjust the mirrors back up and out a little, back to where they are best when on the road. Having my wife as a spotter is most helpful. She tells me exactly where to go. If alone, there’s no dishonor in using the GOAL method. Get Out And Look. I use Milenco Grand Aero mirrors for supplemental mirrors on the 2018 Highlander. I don’t adjust them to back into camping spots. I have not owned and don’t see needing a rear view camera. I do not like distractions.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-17-2022, 06:31 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ditto. Grand Aero mirrors and eyes on the road ahead, far down the road ahead.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:27 PM   #36

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
As others have said, we use the rear camera for on the road driving seeing what is going on behind us. Never have used it for a backup camera. May have to try that, although that’s not what we use it for.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:33 PM   #37

Distractions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ditto. Grand Aero mirrors and eyes on the road ahead, far down the road ahead.
And when I get to Joliet. Illinois eastbound into Chicago I shut off the radio, take a drink of water and don’t have much to say till I get to Valparaiso, Indiana.

Took three commissioners to a park meeting years ago in 1986. I asked how fast I should drive going through Chicago. The oldest guy, a tail gunner in WWII said simply, “whatever you can afford”. His buddy and only a couple years younger pointed at the lanes ahead and said 5,10,and 15 over and you ought to just about keep up. Breezed through and became the designated driver for about ten years after that. Attention to the task at hand has saved my life more than once. I’m not a multi-tasker.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-17-2022, 09:51 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
We had Escape install Nova Kool compressor fridge in our 5.0 last year. We are very happy with it.
That is news to me that ETI is installing Nova Kool. Very Kool!
Old 01-17-2022, 10:17 PM   #39

Trailer: 2022 E19
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That is news to me that ETI is installing Nova Kool. Very Kool!

Nope, no more customer picked (not on the option sheet) changes for appliances. Except for sinks............Choice of 4 (?)

Dang.........
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:55 PM   #40

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Nope, no more customer picked (not on the option sheet) changes for appliances. Except for sinks............Choice of 4 (?)

Dang.........
Yep. The only compressor fridge offered is the Norcold DC558 (5.5 cu. ft.).

Also, yep, they offer 4 custom kitchen sinks for the 19, both 21s, and 5.0, as well as one custom option for both 17s. We’re going with one of the custom options for our 21C. We’re trying to order it and have it shipped to Escape, but having a little trouble finding a US supplier (Amazon, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and others) that will ship it to Canada. We’ve found it on Canadian sites, but they’re more expensive. Might just have to go that route ().
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0, accessories, modifications