What Can't You Live Without - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2022, 10:56 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
bummer and unfortunately not surprised.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:26 AM   #42
Nan

Trailer: 2023 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
We got the back up camera. Used it twice and never since. Would not purchase again. Front storage box is fantastic. Also having 12V drops to overhead cabinets was really useful so I could install LED lights in each cabinet. Not only lights up the cabinets to find things, but also provides nice ambient light thanks to the clear panels in the cabinet doors. Seldom use the overhead lights as the ambient lighting provides enough (except for reading)
Do you mind sharing what and where you got your LED lights for your cabinets? Would you purchase the same again? I love the idea of getting the drops and I want to add them to my growing list for that wonderful day when we finally get our build list together.
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:54 AM   #43

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
Yep. The only compressor fridge offered is the Norcold DC558 (5.5 cu. ft.).

Also, yep, they offer 4 custom kitchen sinks for the 19, both 21s, and 5.0, as well as one custom option for both 17s. We’re going with one of the custom options for our 21C. We’re trying to order it and have it shipped to Escape, but having a little trouble finding a US supplier (Amazon, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and others) that will ship it to Canada. We’ve found it on Canadian sites, but they’re more expensive. Might just have to go that route ().

I had a 25.00 Hepvo Valve shipped. Cost 104.00 to ship plus ETI broke the valve and shipped it broken with trailer. Oh well, plumbers they are not.
Fixed it myself correctly.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:15 AM   #44

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
My top pick for accessories was definitely the aluminum wheels. So far we have used them on every trip we have taken since we purchased the Escape new in 2013!

Of course, the factory solar and dual 6V batteries come in at a close second.
The steel wheels are pretty handy, too. Don't know what I would do without them.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:06 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Do you mind sharing what and where you got your LED lights for your cabinets? Would you purchase the same again? I love the idea of getting the drops and I want to add them to my growing list for that wonderful day when we finally get our build list together.
I'm not Sean, but I did add lights to all my cabinets. I purchased a 16' white LED strip. These strips can be cut to what ever length you want (there are cutting marks between every 3 LEDs), have solder pads that you use to add wires.

I use miniature switches to turn them off & on rather than magnetic switches. I often leave the cabinets open in cold weather to prevent condensation, and want to be able to shut the lights off with the door open.

For those that don't want to cut & solder, I have installed these lamps in cabinets. Unfortunately, they are no longer available at Amazon. I checked the Audew website & they don't appear to list them. While more expensive, something like this strip light would work. Do a search on Amazon for LED Light Bar and you will find bunch of choices.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:08 AM   #46

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
We got the back up camera. Used it twice and never since. Would not purchase again. Front storage box is fantastic.
Same on the back up camera, never use it. I don’t even carry the monitor anymore. Another thing I wouldn’t get again is the TV antenna. Have never used it. The AC have only used 1/2 dozen times in 6 years. Another Max Fan would have sufficed. I think I should have added a light over the front storage box. And 12V drops in the cabinets. And a 12V and 120 outlet on the drivers side dinette. Also an outside plug in for a suitcase solar panel. My wife loves the oven. She’s always baking something.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:29 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
If I had to drive/park solo I'd probably add the backup camera, but as long as I have my crew with me I prefer not to have another thing cluttering my dash. And the last thing I want when I'm negotiating narrow, twisty mountain roads is to be constantly monitoring any traffic behind me and worrying about their convenience. I like to keep it where my stress and speed are in balance, which is usually pretty much at the speed limit anyway.
Any vehicle behind me will just have to bear with it until the passing lane, and the less I think about them the better.

TPMS, on the other hand, I consider a must have. The last thing I need is to be constantly worrying about whether a tire went flat or is about to.

WDH was something I didn't have initially but added it later and I now consider it critical for my current rig.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #48

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I am still on the learning curve as far as backing 5.0 is concerned. It does not induce as much angst - as I have have made great stride from utterly incompetent to basically incompetent. Also, all of our camping experiences have been (and hopefully will remain) with my wife. I still get out a couple of times to see how poorly I am doing while she tries to keep me from hitting anything. The camera would just lead to more chaos...

But, that doesn't apply to the OP who sounds like an expert...
You might try to 'turn later' rather than early. What I mean is it's much easier to increase the angle while backing and stay on target than decrease it if you turned too sharp an angle in the beginning.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:37 PM   #49

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
I had a 25.00 Hepvo Valve shipped. Cost 104.00 to ship plus ETI broke the valve and shipped it broken with trailer. Oh well, plumbers they are not.
Fixed it myself correctly.

Bummer, though I was recently told:

"Kitchen sink plumbing has some changes rolling through manufacturing currently, so customers exact configuration may vary. The trailer in the attached picture (21’C) will most likely have a HepvO trap on his kitchen sink, these also do the job of an air admittance valve and take care of venting. The first few HepvO’s are being installed online right now, still working through testing phase but we will most likely be switching over."

Which would be great......

This yours?

Supply lines look a bit wonky.........
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 21C with HepVo.pdf (33.7 KB, 46 views)
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:49 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 F250
Top on my list: have the walls reinforced where you have stairs or any place where you want to add something. This is absolutely essential. It is very hard to do later.

I installed a disconnecting power cable. I personally found the one that fit in the camper to be a pain. Personal choice.

I replaced my 6 volt acid batteries with 12 V AGM batteries. I just didn’t like the work. As far as lithium batteries go, You might want to consider a security issue of having something really expensive sitting outside your camper. Theft is on the rise and they are very valuable. (Alternatively, if you’re morally bankrupt you could just steal some.)

I think a good strategy is to try to figure out what you want and can afford and have it done by Escape.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:34 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I travel solo & have the back up camera. I've found it invaluable when you need to back up in a gas station or other crowded parking lot. It is amazing how fast someone will pull in behind you or walk behind the trailer so close your mirrors don't help.

I leave it on driving down the road, but rarely use it - the towing mirrors on the F 150 are large & have a convex lower section on both sides.

I've rarely used it for backing into a site - the view is too wide to be all that helpful although after you get used to the image, it can keep you from planting the back of the trailer in a tree or bush.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:08 PM   #52

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
The list of 'must haves' depends upon how you plan to camp. I do a lot of weekend boondocking so my list is:
Solar power
Lithium batteries
12V compressor refrigerator
Extra insulation (no AC while boondocking!)
Somebody mentioned the removable power cord, and that is nice
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Vogel View Post
The list of 'must haves' depends upon how you plan to camp. I do a lot of weekend boondocking so my list is:
Solar power
Lithium batteries
12V compressor refrigerator
Extra insulation (no AC while boondocking!)
Somebody mentioned the removable power cord, and that is nice

Believe the "extra insulation" is standard now........?

It is not an option on the Build sheet nor the "Easter egg" option list.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:25 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Believe the "extra insulation" is standard now........?

It is not an option on the Build sheet nor the "Easter egg" option list.
It is shown as a $840 option on the 2022 build sheets......
Old 01-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #55

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
You might try to 'turn later' rather than early. What I mean is it's much easier to increase the angle while backing and stay on target than decrease it if you turned too sharp an angle in the beginning.
Thank you! I am getting the hang of it - but it is still a work in progress
kavm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is shown as a $840 option on the 2022 build sheets......
Gotcha - for the spray foam underneath.

I was thinking there used to be an option for "extra insulation" inside the shell, that is now standard.......? Might be mistaken...
Old 01-19-2022, 06:31 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Gotcha - for the spray foam underneath.

I was thinking there used to be an option for "extra insulation" inside the shell, that is now standard.......? Might be mistaken...
Yes, there was. It did seem to be a bit of a cheap out. There should have been "extra insulation" aka as insulation in the lockers, the same as the rest of the trailer as there well should be. So, standard now, is probably what it should have been all along.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:27 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
5th wheel backing

Quote:
I am still on the learning curve as far as backing 5.0 is concerned. It does not induce as much angst - as I have have made great stride from utterly incompetent to basically incompetent. Also, all of our camping experiences have been (and hopefully will remain) with my wife. I still get out a couple of times to see how poorly I am doing while she tries to keep me from hitting anything. The camera would just lead to more chaos...

But, that doesn't apply to the OP who sounds like an expert...
I need all the help I can get so try and find ways to cheat, or make it easy on yourself.
I try and make the inside of the backing turn on the drivers side so I can see the trailer and wheels as I back. I have a 6' piece of 2X6 that I use for leveling. I place it right where I want the DS wheels to end up. When backing I have found the the fifth wheel starts to turn at all it is time to try and straighten it out due to the fact that now you are now pushing the front of the trailer more to the PS of the trailer rather than into the backing area. As the wheels line up with the board I can clearly see in the mirror what needs to be done to align the wheels with the board. Then assure the wheels go onto the board. It is not a magic board, you could also use a rope, or crime scene tape, I just happen to carry this board.
HarleyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:52 AM   #59

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Quote:
We had Escape install Nova Kool compressor fridge in our 5.0 last year. We are very happy with it.

Which Nova Kool model did they install? What was the procedure to get it to ETI and have it installed?

(edit): Had not read all the posts to date. It looks like ETI is making changes to the manufacturing process on a continual basis. Probably makes sense to ask at the time of build sheet to see what they are willing/unwilling to do at the time (hepvo, Nova Kool, etc). It also appears that the easter egg list and choices for upholstery, flooring, etc. change also.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #60

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Bummer, though I was recently told:

"Kitchen sink plumbing has some changes rolling through manufacturing currently, so customers exact configuration may vary. The trailer in the attached picture (21’C) will most likely have a HepvO trap on his kitchen sink, these also do the job of an air admittance valve and take care of venting. The first few HepvO’s are being installed online right now, still working through testing phase but we will most likely be switching over."

Which would be great......

This yours?

Supply lines look a bit wonky.........
No mine was under the trailer between bath drain and grey tank.
Wish I had the sink configuration. Maybe ETI has learned something about plumbing. Probably not.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0, accessories, modifications