What Can't You Live Without - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2022, 10:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA - June 2022
What Can't You Live Without

Greetings Escapers! Build sheet should arrive soon (so I've been told) meaning it wont be long before the build starts on our 5.0!

I've owned a large rig before and there is always one or two things I would have loved to have had if only I was able to build it from the ground up. Wouldn't you know I get to do that now!

Curious, if you could have just one thing you absolutely could not do without or wish you had in or on your rig what would it be?
Frisco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A maid to make the bed...........
Old 01-13-2022, 07:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Backup camera.
And we weren't even sure we wanted it.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:49 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Terry wants a queen bed (but no crawl-over), and I want solar (465 watts on ours).

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
One of the wish lists, keyless entry, is on sale at RV lock. Refurb units for 139. I bought one a while ago.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
One of many things we really appreciate having is the exterior storage box mounted on the A-frame. It gives us a place outside of the trailer to put towing gear, chocks, levelers, a floor mat, and other gear that tends to get wet and dirty.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
We got the back up camera. Used it twice and never since. Would not purchase again. Front storage box is fantastic. Also having 12V drops to overhead cabinets was really useful so I could install LED lights in each cabinet. Not only lights up the cabinets to find things, but also provides nice ambient light thanks to the clear panels in the cabinet doors. Seldom use the overhead lights as the ambient lighting provides enough (except for reading)
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Our top list items have been mentioned, but we'll repeat for emphasis.
Solar is our #1. We are off-grid/boondocking for sometimes 5-7 days, and
it's so nice to not have to even think about battery capacity.
The front storage box is a must. All the wet or dirty or otherwise not-wanting-inside stuff goes there.
We got 12V DC drops in upper cabinets in the trailer corners. Over the last 6 years, we've ended up accessing and using them, for rear-view camera power, shelf w/ 12V and 5V-USB for charging up devices, weather monitoring station, wi-fi repeater, power for musical instruments.
We have 120V AC and 12V DC outlets outside (passenger-side, behind the wheel well) for power for stuff under the awning.

The rear-view camera is a recent addition, and we really like the extra visibility it gives us on the road, especially in traffic. It's on whenever we're driving. We don't use it for backing: we use the reliable 'get out and check' method.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Aside from AC, my top pick would be the outdoor shower. We have never actually used it to shower, but we use it for rinsing dishes, feet and rinsing the awning. We had a caterpillar infestation last June. They were everywhere. I wiped them off the awning and some sneered. I don’t know what we would have done without the outdoor shower to rinse. We keep a second 10’ hose just in case.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Solar++ with dual 6v batteries. We are in Florida now, and getting a place when you don't plan 9 months in advance is nearly impossible. However, Florida has plenty of no hookup camping that you can normally get in to.
We got a second panel also. Not sure how necessary it is, but we turn the inverter on, forget to turn it off, so far without any issue.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A maid to make the bed...........
We know we are either very loyal to our wives or getting rather old (or both) when we want the maid only to make the bed. I think I'd pick a chef over a maid, though.

I think the other folks have already named most of my top must-haves (A/C, front storage box, solar with dual batteries), but I'll add this: after wrestling with power cords in past trailers, I think the detachable power cord is a no-brainer.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:33 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
We know we are either very loyal to our wives or getting rather old (or both) when we want the maid only to make the bed. I think I'd pick a chef over a maid, though.

I think the other folks have already named most of my top must-haves (A/C, front storage box, solar with dual batteries), but I'll add this: after wrestling with power cords in past trailers, I think the detachable power cord is a no-brainer.
Just remember, when cold, that removable power cord lying on the ground becomes very stiff, whereas the one that is pull out is at least partially protected by the trailer.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My top pick for accessories was definitely the aluminum wheels. So far we have used them on every trip we have taken since we purchased the Escape new in 2013!

Of course, the factory solar and dual 6V batteries come in at a close second.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco Kid View Post
Greetings Escapers! Build sheet should arrive soon (so I've been told) meaning it wont be long before the build starts on our 5.0!

I've owned a large rig before and there is always one or two things I would have loved to have had if only I was able to build it from the ground up. Wouldn't you know I get to do that now!

Curious, if you could have just one thing you absolutely could not do without or wish you had in or on your rig what would it be?
Factory solar and 2 6 volt batteries. Secondary list removable power cord (never liked the pull out as it seemed to get jammed up and it lets ants in...we know!), outside shower, queen bed w/out crawling over
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Delivery soon!

I will be receiving my trailer soon! I agonized over that list not too long ago...
storage box

As much solar as I could get
Lithium batteries: I know controversial and many people buy their own after market
No oven
Exterior shower for my muddy bike
Lift kit
Lagun table ( We had one in our casita and loved it)

Custom sink
as much storage as I could add

.. Good luck to you!
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
I gotta agree; having wheels has made every mile travelled all that much easier. Other than that, nothing qualifies as “can’t live without”.

I don’t use the backup camera much for backing up, but it sure comes in handy in gauging the road rage index of followers on hills and long and winding roads.

I’d rather have an ice chest over any absorption fridge so the compressor was nice to have available.

Having as few Dometic appliances as possible led me to the Eno 3 burner cooktop.

The front cargo box is a no brainer.

We have solar panels on our house, why not on our camper?

Could have gotten by with 2 6 volt lead acid batteries instead of the lithium, but hey, you can’t take it with you.

The fellow who towed our 21C across the border had trouble disconnecting the coupler from his truck and he does this for a living. First few times (in the rain) were comical, but I have a system down now and I actually believe that I can envision what is happening between the ball, coupler and bizarre clamp every inch of up/down jack movement now. Still a lame coupler, but I can live with it.

Again, the real “cannot live” without things are the wheels.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA - June 2022
Thank you all! Great advice. Appliances are my headache. I am torn between ordering without any and installing my own or just order it complete and deal with upgrades later. Cost versus headache.

I've read many posts about Domenic (not fond of their product) and it's a pain to remove the fridge and upgrade later. Saving the $600 upfront may be the better option but not ready to commit yet. I love the oven idea but its tiny, I've heard and seen Greystone as an alternative to Dometic. Microwave definitely purchasing my own.
Frisco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post

I’d rather have an ice chest over any absorption fridge so the compressor was nice to have available.
Given that your profile lists you as having a 2022 21C I'm a little surprised at this comment. I'm wondering how much you've used your fridge because we've used ours extensively and it's the best rv fridge that we've ever had.

So much better than the one we had in the 19 and we especially love having a separate freezer. In the past we've left home, gone south for a month in the sun and heat and come back home with frozen stuff that we took with us, including ice cream. Must have preferred ice cold beer in Baja rather than ice cream. Never ever could we have done that with the other fridge in the 19.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Given that your profile lists you as having a 2022 21C I'm a little surprised at this comment. I'm wondering how much you've used your fridge because we've used ours extensively and it's the best rv fridge that we've ever had.

So much better than the one we had in the 19 and we especially love having a separate freezer. In the past we've left home, gone south for a month in the sun and heat and come back home with frozen stuff that we took with us, including ice cream. Must have preferred ice cold beer in Baja rather than ice cream. Never ever could we have done that with the other fridge in the 19.

Ron
Not clear on your surprise. The ‘22 had either absorption or compressor and we choose compressor.

We have had 2 absorption fridges; one in a Tioga Class C and another in an Airstream Basecamp. Neither cooled reliably to a food safe temp in the summer. The compressor in the camper works as well as our Sub Zero in the house.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post

OK, didn't realize that you actually had a compressor fridge. So your blanket condemnation of all absorption fridges isn't based on experience with the current offerings.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0, accessories, modifications