Why an Escape????????? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer: none
Why an Escape?????????

I am about to buy a used Airstream because they are simple and will last along time. But, and there is always a but, in my trailer life mag this unit has my interest and but I do not know what RV stands 4 or can spell it. Get me in the loop. Thanks Spikedog
spikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Spike, to the non aluminum fiberglass world. Escape Trailers, hand built in Canada are shaped like Airstreams but do not have any rivets, which the typical Airstream has 3,000. Each rivet is a potential leak. The solid fiberglass only has openings for windows and roof vents. If a leak were to occur there are drain holes to allow the water to escape. With an Airstream any leak means floor damage. Fiberglass walls are warmer and cooler in winter and summer whereas aluminum will transmit the heat and cold to the inside via the metal walls. In addition you will find the Escape trailer will be lighter. Check them out Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia
Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I watched a TV show on where they showed how Airstreams are built. They rivet the sections together and then caulk all of the seams. A caulked seam is bound to leak sooner or later plus how much vibration comes into play when on the road will be a factor. Escape has one seam which is fiberglassed when the top and bottom are assembled. Durability and quality were the number one requirement I had and Cathy loved the interior so we put our money down on an Escape. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
If really want to spend the big bucks you may also take a look at Oliver fiberglass trailers.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
But (IMHO) boiling it down to the most directly practical difference between the two types, the weight factor is key. I see Airstreams as beautiful, luxurious, solid tanks. By comparison, I see the Escape as a beautiful, practical feather. More weight translates into higher driving costs... not just sticker price, or MPG, but tow vehicle limitations too. If the virtual cost of ownership keys on where the buck stops, you gotta go fiberglass.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
RV = Recreational Vehicle
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
spikedog, go ahead and buy the Airstreem if you're getting a good deal. The fact that you're willing to buy one is proof that they are still desirable which means you'll be able to sell it when you change your mind.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Spike, if you're seriously considering purchasing a used Airstream, I strongly suggest you join the Airforum. It's a forum, owned by Social Knowledge who also owns the EscapeForum. You'll be able to gain knowledge from Airstream owners, particularly on issues to check out when buying used.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedog View Post
I am about to buy a used Airstream because they are simple...
I can't think of any way in which an Airstream is any simpler than other travel trailers. They generally don't have slide-outs, but most brands and types are available in models without slide-outs.

An Escape is as simple as an Airstream, except in the construction of the body shell, which is simpler than an Airstream.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Ever seen an Airstream which has hail damage, its not so pretty... and I imagine very expensive to repair. Fiberglass on the other hand is very tolerant in similar situations.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Why an Escape?????????

Weight? Advantage Escape.
Cost? Advantage Escape.
Durability? Advantage Escape.
Maintenance? Advantage Escape.
"Fancy-shmancy" factor? Advantage Airstream.
Nostalgia? Advantage Airstream.

My two cents.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I was looking at airstreams before I got my escape they are very pretty always like their style. But I live in a very wet area really didn't want any leaks also I too was afraid of the denting from hail and rocks it seems they really should be covered. They are heavy too would need my truck to hall.i could get an escape for less money well laid out for caming light and camping off the grid. Very happy with my 17b.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When we purchased the Escape last year the intent was to buy the last trailer we would own.

We seriously considered one of the Airstream 28'ers as it had the full size queen bed in it. The Airstream forum shows many folks with window leaks and Filiform corrosion, coming from a conventional trailer that had leak issues, it was the last thing I wanted to hear, especially for the price. Consensus seems to be the newer trailers are not as well built as they are commonly believed to be.

When I read Escape had come out with the bigger 21 and was thinking about a like sized fifth wheel (I had looked over the 19 a few years before) we took a look at one which decided the issue.

These smaller trailers are certainly not for most.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Before we ordered our Escape, we had a 1968 Aristocrat trailer which we restored. A lot of work although it was well built. I listened to the Vintage Airstream Podcast and learned about the usual problems in vintage airstreams, and they have them, especially rotted floors. This is not to say that when my Escape is 40 years old, it won't have some problems, but I bet they will be fewer.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Reace put a used Escape 19 up for sale on this forum and it was sold in a little over an hour. It might have taken a little longer if we were in November but that is another very good reason to own an Escape. Resale value. That was another large factor in our choosing an Escape. Sometimes plans change and we can't use some of the things we have but if there is a good market for them, it can be a win win situation for both buyer and seller. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Spikedog,
With Airstream, you get a corporation, although it is one that has been around for many decades.

With Escape you get a family owned and operated business run by a very caring and accessible husband and wife team who you can actually call on the phone and talk to-- Tammy and Reace. Try it. Production of all the various sized units now total in the 1100 to 1200 range, I'd guess. If you have any concerns, you do not get lost in the shuffle. Very loyal customers. Also the U.S./Canada exchange rate is wonderful right now.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quality, Airstreams are being made in less than a day whereas your Escape will take a couple of weeks.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Spike seems to have disappeared after posing a question. First post on the forum and doesn't know what RV stands for? My troll alarm is buzzing.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
First post on the forum and doesn't know what RV stands for? My troll alarm is buzzing.
Yah, I'm normally a helpful person but when I see posts like that I don't even think of bothering to respond.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
spell check does such odd things!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote