Young family of 3 searching to start our adventure! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Just my thoughts here as having done a lot of business travel during my career. I found that the second or third night in a hotel, I slept well, but the first night was usually a challenge due to "different noises" at each hotel. I found that sleeping in our Escape was not a challenge as I got used to the same sounds. I tried to minimize the heat noise by turning down the thermostat at night & turning it up before getting out of bed. As to external noise, that is usually loudest on weekends & holidays and pretty quiet during the week. (Especially in the "off season." Many complain about the noise of the AC, but giving the choice of having a comfortable temperature or trying to sleep in extremely hot & humid conditions, I'll take the noise!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
if you are at a campsite and you have 110 V hookup - we like our small Vornado heater (Costco, etc) as it can be set to be thermostat (comes on and turns off as need be) but the fan is always running, so it is a nice steady white noise.

much better than hotel room on & off heaters, plus quieter than the average hotel heater!

Vornado sells a couple different models - make sure you get a model that allows you to keep the fan on constantly.

Ours is a slightly older model - i THINK this current one does what I suggest

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXIY25D...0GLHVZA4800788

But I am more confident that the non-plus version can do the constant fan trick.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GLHVZA...ZA4800788?th=1

maybe call Vornado to confirm?

best of luck to you

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #23

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
... I much prefer traveling in our trailer to motels. Noise levels are similar and depends greatly on the neighbors. It's also a lot more cost effective.
Yeah, in a hotel you always run the risk of hearing the banging of the headboard and a screamer next door faking it.

You don't know what the bed will feel like. Or if the heater or a/c will blow across your face and give you a sore throat/cold. If you have food restrictions you can fix stuff that won't make you sick. Or hear the elevator ding all night long.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of hotels, not one bit. Yet another reason I wanted to get a trailer.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Motels seem to have a proclivity for giving us the room adjacent to their noisiest ice machine. That might not be a such problem in a state with the climate of Alaska, but it can be a serious 24/7/365 annoyance in a state like Florida. We'v never had to fear a noisy ice machine next door while sleeping in our camper.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 21' 2018
Marry I think mentioned getting an electric AC if the built in is too noisy. Is that possible? A space heater is an excellent idea and eliminated the heater issue.

We have a Silversmith to tow. Capacity is 5600#. My husband wanted to avoid a goose neck as he wants to use a camper top for storage. I'm torn now btwn a 19' & 21'. If the overall length is 18" different, that's a whopping 2.25 sq ft difference in floor space or approx 14.5 cu ft or additional storage space etc. What makes me want the 21 is the bigger windows near the dinette. So when eating and visiting you're enjoying your view. We've become experts at blacking out windows and we have little shame with respect to appearance of our set up, so I don't think it would be a huge issue that the big windows will be above the dinette bed for my son.

Regarding AC location, is it similar in both the 19' and 21'?

Oh, and I've been there with the hotel noises. Screaming baby. All night.
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
I'm torn now btwn a 19' & 21'. If the overall length is 18" different, that's a whopping 2.25 sq ft difference in floor space or approx 14.5 cu ft or additional storage space etc.
You're forgetting the 21' is wider than the 19'. If you like to cook, you'd appreciate the much larger counter space in the 21' too.

19' = Exterior width 7'
21' = Exterior width 7'- 4"

You'd think 4" isn't much until you step inside both and compare.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The AC in the trailer is electric.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The DC is too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You're forgetting the 21' is wider than the 19'. If you like to cook, you'd appreciate the much larger counter space in the 21' too.

19' = Exterior width 7'
21' = Exterior width 7'- 4"

You'd think 4" isn't much until you step inside both and compare.
Totally agree. The 21 has way more storage, way bigger countertop, and gives more space in the dining area. The bed is smaller though.
The 19 and 21 have totally different layouts.
We prefer the 19 because we tend not to spend much time in the trailer. Do pretty much all cooking and the dishes outside.
Would I've been a person that loves spending much time inside, I would have gone with the 21. Those few extra inches in the dining area make a huge difference.
Would I be pretty much full timing, I for sure would go with the 21.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Marry I think mentioned getting an electric AC if the built in is too noisy. Is that possible? A space heater is an excellent idea and eliminated the heater issue.

We have a Silversmith to tow. Capacity is 5600#. My husband wanted to avoid a goose neck as he wants to use a camper top for storage. I'm torn now btwn a 19' & 21'. If the overall length is 18" different, that's a whopping 2.25 sq ft difference in floor space or approx 14.5 cu ft or additional storage space etc. What makes me want the 21 is the bigger windows near the dinette. So when eating and visiting you're enjoying your view. We've become experts at blacking out windows and we have little shame with respect to appearance of our set up, so I don't think it would be a huge issue that the big windows will be above the dinette bed for my son.

Regarding AC location, is it similar in both the 19' and 21'?

Oh, and I've been there with the hotel noises. Screaming baby. All night.
Windows, view of 21 is nicer. Especially when sitting down. The windows in the 19 do not go as low as the windows of the 21. That, when sitting, makes a huge difference with what you can see outside.
The AC in both trailers is mounted the same location. But this might be discussable with Reace.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
For some reason I was thinking Reace was increasing the width of the 19 to be the same as the 21 in the new models - guess not.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The a/c in both units is fixed, in other words where the vent is located in the shell. In the 19 it is over the kitchen which is right next to the bed, in the 21 there is a little more distance from the a/c to the front bed, maybe another 2 feet.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sorry. Wrong page in my the dictionary. P: Portable
Old 01-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The a/c in both units is fixed, in other words where the vent is located in the shell. In the 19 it is over the kitchen which is right next to the bed, in the 21 there is a little more distance from the a/c to the front bed, maybe another 2 feet.
The main concern here is the distance between AC and dinette. Assuming children sleep on the dinette instead of the parents
Old 01-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #35

Another option is: your son's bed will be the permanent bed, and you two sleep on the dinette. This will give you the ability to sit at the dinette till it's sleep time for for you two, while your son is dreaming away in the "big people" bed. (just a suggestion....)
Old 01-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I thought she said he needs to sleep during the day....
Old 01-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought she said he needs to sleep during the day....
That's what I understand too. And at night as well. Don't most kids do?
Wouldnt it be nice to now have the option of the curtain around the bed...
Just throwing out suggestions here. But this might be an option that works for all three.
Would love to hear it all works for them once they are on the road and camping away!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Windows, view of 21 is nicer. Especially when sitting down. The windows in the 19 do not go as low as the windows of the 21. That, when sitting, makes a huge difference with what you can see outside.
The AC in both trailers is mounted the same location. But this might be discussable with Reace.
That's all you needed to say. I love a good view!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:11 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Totally agree. The 21 has way more storage, way bigger countertop, and gives more space in the dining area. The bed is smaller though.
The 19 and 21 have totally different layouts.
We prefer the 19 because we tend not to spend much time in the trailer. Do pretty much all cooking and the dishes outside.
Would I've been a person that loves spending much time inside, I would have gone with the 21. Those few extra inches in the dining area make a huge difference.
Would I be pretty much full timing, I for sure would go with the 21.
Just make sure that you spend time in both the 19 and 21. While this is correct, and the 21 does have more room, we still prefer the layout of the 19. But you won't know which you really prefer until seeing them both.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
That's all you needed to say. I love a good view!
Escape can raise your seating up with a platform . Or like many of us have done ,make our own to raise up the seating . If you like the layout of the 19 better , that can be solved . Like has been mentioned , the way to know for sure is sitting in 19 or 21 . For us the extra length of the 21 and layout would of been a problem . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote