Young family of 3 searching to start our adventure! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Young family of 3 searching to start our adventure!

Hi we are a young family in South Louisiana looking for an Escape to begin following my husband on his new work travels. Our 2 year old has lifelong health problems and we hope that a little home away from home may be a little better than a hotel? We have never traveled in a camper with him before. We have hunkered down at home for 2 years and endured the storm, but feel that it's time to try and embrace life while managing the challenges.

We are in the process of putting in an order for a 21', however in the meantime we are looking for a 21' or 19' to snatch up now instead of waiting for the December production date. When December rolls around we'll likely sell the one in use and keep the new one (any advice there is great!! is that a terrible idea? they seem to sell so quickly!)

We need a traveling home that is comfortable and quiet. Aside from wanting to venture out into exploration of the beautiful rises, falls, and water features of this Earth, we also need to follow Dad from town to town when necessary to make sales for our family business. The idea is that we'll tow the Escape behind us, he'll drop us off in a nice spot (with hookups, without hookups?? need your advice there, we have no idea!!) and he'll have his meetings in town that day and come back to us when he can. Is this a terrible idea? Essentially myself and my toddler will be alone with no vehicle in the Escape for an undefined amount of time during the day. Sure if we needed my husband could come back to us, but not for little things.

Additionally, neither my husband nor I have a CLUE about RVs. I'm pretty handy with some light home maintenance and restoration (just don't ask me to install a lightswitch), but I will not be able to be doing any maintenance to the RV while alone with my son!

A huge important thing for us is SLEEP! My son is often awake in pain all night (not trying to be too heavy here, I just need solid advice based on our serious circumstances), and we must have quiet sleep conditions so that he is able to sleep when he feels good enough. This includes nighttime and nap. Have you found in your Escape that you can have peace and quiet at night? What about during the day? We've never been to an RV park and have no experience with the atmosphere!!

Please pour in ANY advice you feel applicable!!

We want to embrace life, take vacations in our home away from home, and follow Dad where he goes. Do you think if we did this in an Escape (or any RV for that matter) we would have a positive and reliable experience? Or would we be better off sticking with hotels since we can't be worrying about big things breaking, etc?

Thank you so much!!!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Hi SouthernCamper.
The name you picked tells me you rather go camping. Your son will love it. It's more an adventure to kids then anything. The advantage of camping is that you can pick your own campground. (Booking a site ahead of time is sometimes necessary) And you have the choice with or without power. In case you need AC, you have to go with a power site.
Due to the fact your son needs to be able to sleep, you simply pick quiet campgrounds.
You might be surprised how your son will do. Being able to be outside in the fresh air exploring things, might be a huge help for his so needed sleep. During the daytime you can nicely sit outside under your awning,watching the birds or reading a book. No comparison to a hotel room!
I think you and your family make the right choice by going the home away from home route.
Just make sure the trailer you buy has the insulation package. Will keep the trailer more quiet.
Hope you find one soon!!
Old 01-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The furnaces and the air conditioners in the Escapes can be very loud and take some getting used to. When the AC and furnace are not running, the trailer is surprisingly quiet inside, especially if you get the extra insulation options.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Contact the factory and ask for owners near you. Escape will put you in contact with them and you can see first hand the build quality.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I think it's an excellent idea. Having said that, you should know that RVs, and particularly fiberglass trailers, are not the best at deadening sound from outside. The shell is thin. Extra insulation and thermal windows help, but they certainly don't eliminate outside noises. Also, as was previously mentioned, the AC and the heater do produce quite a bit of noise.

If you camp away from everyone else, or with at least a decent distance to the next camper, the trailer will be nice and quiet, but you will still have to contend with the noise from cooling or heating. We don't find it to be a problem at all, but then again, we're not a two year old light sleeper with health issues. Not trying to discourage you, just laying it out there.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #6

So when you guys mention AC and heater noise, are we talking pleasant white noise, or junky inconsistent rattly noise? We sleep with white noise and love it for sound dampening, but the way it's being described, it sounds more problematic than just white noise.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Noises at campgrounds can really vary. Drunks wanting everyone else around them thinking they're having fun by laughing loudly over stupid things. Yapping dogs. Kids and adults walking around, shouting at each other. Noisy heater or a/c from a bigass Class A. Diesel trucks idling under the assumption they need to. Fights next door.

However, you can also have sites with the wind in the tree tops, birds chatting to each other and rustling around in the undergrowth, creeks gurgling nearby.

Granted, I only have a one-month motorhome rental to go by, but those were my experiences.

Noises, when I'm trying to sleep, can really bother me and keep me awake for hours on end. I've slept with a white noise machine for years, but recently decided I needed something different, especially when I take The Trailer out. I got this one delivered today and will be testing it out (at home), starting tonight. If it works, I'll order another one to stay in The Trailer. I know me and noises, so I'm really hoping it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

One thing that concerns me about your post is you and your son not having transportation during the day. Will he need immediate medical attention? That could be tricky, depending on where you're at. You might want to consider taking dad to his appointments instead. Plus, that way you can restock supplies and do some sightseeing while you're out and about.

Good luck with your decision! I know I'm really looking forward to taking The Trailer out and about. I've used it as a guest bedroom while I had company, but that's not quite the same as hauling it out of here and getting on the road.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
So when you guys mention AC and heater noise, are we talking pleasant white noise, or junky inconsistent rattly noise? We sleep with white noise and love it for sound dampening, but the way it's being described, it sounds more problematic than just white noise.
It is white noise I guess, but it's the transition when it cycles on and off. The difference in noise level is pronounced. There's no rattling, just the sound of the fan or blower. If it were constant, you'd adjust easily and not notice it. In our case, we will notice it the first one or two times it cycles, but once we are asleep it's not a problem.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Most of the traditional trailers have bunkhouse models that have separate bunk bed rooms for the kids in addition to more private master brs and living areas. It might be a better solution as there will be very lil privacy in molded fiberglass trailers. RV shows are usually going on in every major city and would be easy to see those options close by you.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
The A/C is very loud. There are quieter versions that can possibly be substituted but that would take some looking. The furnace is also loud. May depend on where it is located as to how much of a problem. You definitely need to see the trailers you are interested in with those things running. I didn't think I could possibly sleep with the A/C but have done okay.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I think all the varying and conflicting comments above will not do much more than confuse and maybe mislead you. What I would do in your situation is to try to find a used Escape and try it out. If your completion date is December, then your build date will probably be in early September. That will give you all Spring and Summer to see if it works for you. No one can anticipate how well it might work, including you. But by the end of Summer you will pretty well know, and if the answer is no, then as you point out these trailers resell easily and you can likely sell it for pretty much what you paid.

Please share with us how your experiment works out so it can be shared widely, and we all wish you tons of good luck.

Walt
Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I think all the varying and conflicting comments above will not do much more than confuse and maybe mislead you.
I don't see anything conflicting or misleading. Maybe I missed it.

I do agree however that that best way to tell if it's going to work for you is to try one out, if that's possible.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Camper vs hotels.

We plan to replace as many of our hotel stays as possible with nights in our soon to be picked up 19. Here are a few of the reasons why.

In the camper you know if the sheets are clean. If they're not clean at least you know why.
In the camper there are no bed bugs, unless you bring them in.
In the camper you sleep in your same comfortable bed every night. Hotel beds are a crap shoot at best.
Your clothes are already in the camper so you don't have to pack and drag them back and forth every time you move.
You can stock the fridge and cabinets in the camper with food. You don't have to drag a cooler back and forth every time you move, or spend money eating at restaurants all the time.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
The A/C is very loud. There are quieter versions that can possibly be substituted but that would take some looking. The furnace is also loud. May depend on where it is located as to how much of a problem. You definitely need to see the trailers you are interested in with those things running. I didn't think I could possibly sleep with the A/C but have done okay.
Wow OK. I'm definitely going to take your advice on the noise and hear one running before diving in. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
SouthernCamper, I sent you a private message (to view, click on "User CP" on the left side of the top green command bar above). Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #16

Augh yes it is a little back and forth but the advice is all so helpful! Trust me, I would MUCH prefer a camper to a hotel because it's our and BED BUG FREE!! Not to mention fridge and ease of packing up and heading out as mentioned above. I just tortured myself by looking at a campground in the town we will be hotelling in next week, and I'm drooling. There's a 19 for sale right now, and while we have half a mind to snatch it up as a trial run, my husband doesn't want to get a size too small when we had hoped for a 21 and may avoid having to sell it at all if we choose a 21 for a trial. While resale shouldn't be hard, this current 19' is about $4000 away to have it shipped...or some $$$ and struggle to go across the country to get it. So we'll lose that if we sell it for sure.

That being said, will a used 21' be attainable any time soon?

Is the space inside a 19' all THAT different from a 21'?

Decisions decisions!
Old 01-30-2017, 02:43 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Adrienne,
You did not or I may have missed it, what is your tow vehicle? That will determine or play part of your choice between Escape models. I have owned both models and can tell you + or - for each.
There is only about 18" difference in over all length and maybe 300# weight. Front bed or rear bed and you will be sleeping the kids in the dinette area. I'd suggest one of those single pedestals for ease of daily bed making in either model. The bath is larger in the 21 but the bed is larger in the 19. Then there is the 5th wheel with separate sleeping in the loft, that could be your best bet since the a/c is probably the furtherest away in that model from the bed.
Again there are a lot of variables that go into the ideal trailer/family/tow vehicle combination.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #18

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Air conditioner. noise

In San Diego area a year or so ago the temp was pushing 100 and we don't like the air on at night because of the noise. Locals may not have air so all of the fans were sold out at the normal stores, we found a great looking one at a lighting store, it looks like a jet engine and works really well so we don't need the air when sleeping.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
I wouldn't worry too much about noise. You can always use an electrical heater or AC when you think the one from the trailer is too loud. For your son, being in a spot he feels at home, would be most important and will help him fall asleep. Your own trailer can give him and yourself that. This will never be the case traveling from hotel to hotel.
Understanding your son is number 1, don't forget about yourselves. You probably consider all options based on his needs, but put a little of your own preferences in the scale as well.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
SouthernCamper:

You could pick up another brand trailer to use until your '21 is ready. It would get you on the road now and allow you some experience to put together your "build sheet". I suggest you look at some trailers, Escapes particularly, and listen to the heater and A/C.

I much prefer traveling in our trailer to motels. Noise levels are similar and depends greatly on the neighbors. It's also a lot more cost effective.

Good luck.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote