Canadian Customs Purgatory - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
He replied " you are from Texas and don't own a gun?". I said "that is correct and I knew you would say that".
I got that question too. The only gun I own is a 22 caliber pellet rifle with a hand pump that I’ve had since I was 16. I just searched my Google Photos for “gun” and I found one photo of a wall of automatic weapons in a Taiwan store that only sells replica guns that shoot plastic pellets. I guess I should delete that photo.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Border guards need to do their job, and this includes random searches of folks, no matter how innocent they may be or seem. If they slacked off at all, it would only encourage folks to circumvent the law. With these random checks, it keeps people in check, and less likely to consider doing anything illegal.

I applaud them for doing their job. I know it is a pain in the butt, but you got through in the end, and have a good story to share. You likely witnessed some of the toughest and meanest you will encounter in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Anyway, during the questioning by the US immigration officer, he said “The stars at night are big and bright”, and I replied “Deep in the hart of Texas” (it is a song). He was testing me to see if I was really from Texas.
I knew the response to that, and I am far, far from Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Once a long time ago I was camping with my kids in Glacier NP. An archaeologist we met suggested a trip across the border to Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump. I didn't give the fact that I was a single mom crossing into Canada with two children a thought, but the border police sure did.They asked if I had permission from their dad to take them out of the country, and I said no, we were just on an impromptu day excursion to the above mentioned site.

I was immediately separated from the kids, interviewed, all my id/credit cards etc run, and the kids were interviewed separately from each other. Luckily they were not at an age to be frightened. After about an hr, we were cheerfully told we could proceed. It was a bit scary, but I knew all the info I provided was accurate and that the kids would tell the same story. In the end, I was grateful that they are so vigilant on behalf of children.
One time, about 35 years ago, when going into the US, we were randomly checked. They had us raise the top on our tent trailer, went through everything there, as well as the truck.

We got asked for our kids birth certificates, which we never thought to bring. Our response was that given the way the kids were with us, it was obvious they were ours. Their response was that most abductions are from relatives. In the end they let us go through, and said it was because both parents were there, and if it was just one of us, the result might be different.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
In the sixth grade I was on the safety patrol. One day the teacher called me in and said that I needed to start reporting more people for infractions.
I hope never to become accustomed to being treated with disrespect.
Hey Ruthe
I was on the school safety patrol as well. My experience was slightly different. The Capitan as we called him, was a little overzealous at handing out demerits. I would antagonize him by wearing my belt inside out, folding the belt in a non regulation way, etc. Then as now I was always proud to lead the school in demerits per month, always just below the dreaded suspension. He’s dead now and I’m still breaking the rules. 60 years goes by in a flash.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #44

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not sure why people get so upset when they cross a border into a foreign country. Just because the border agents speak English and maybe better than "you" do, the laws of that country are not the same as what you're used to. If things head south, it will not be a problem for your BIL the attorney in Oklahoma, but the US State Department. Strict border checks are part of the world we now occupy. Get used to it, I bet it gets worse before it will ever get better.
Donna, This made my night. Thanks.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
My 3 short boarder stories:
I went across the boarder with my friend soon after getting my drivers license at an young age. I drove up to the booth and the officer asked where did you come from. I answered truthfully and said “from back there”

About 15 years ago we were on a charter bus trip from BC to Las Vegas. On the way down the US officers came on board the bus and pointed me out. I was the only one that had to get off the bus and they went through my luggage. On the way home the Canadian officers point only me out and again I had to get off and open my luggage. This was about 1 year after I had retired from being an RCMP officer for 26 years.

About 3 years ago we took our Zoom trailer across the boarder. They wanted the keys to the trailer and looked through it while we had to sit in the truck. Soon they came out with 3 wooden marshmallow sticks that had been in the closet. We had forgot they were even there. I said throw them out but they would have non of that. They had to take them into the building for inspection...l could see a special person examine them with a magnifying glass. I can see the point to look for bugs but as I am writing this thousands of real, almost live Xmas trees are crossing the boarder for sale!
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #46

The winner

Best three stories today, and all happened to one Eggscapee.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 01:55 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Hey, Moderators, are you watchin' this guy carefully enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
....... Then as now I was always proud to lead the school in demerits per month, always just below the dreaded suspension. He’s dead now and I’m still breaking the rules. 60 years goes by in a flash.
Iowa Dave
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #48

Fires

Hey Don
Are you ok out there? Hate to see the news with all the fire and think about friends and Escape owners ( friends I haven’t met yet) being in danger. Keep safe.
Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
We crossed the border at Sumas when we picked up our trailer in April. The Canadian customs officer asked several times about any weapons we had. The officer had trouble believing someone from Texas didn't have a gun or knife. I finally told him we did have some kitchen knives. I guess that could have been taken as a smart aleck answer, but I wanted to answer truthfully when he specifically asked about knives.

Crossing into Canada at Sumas may make it easier since they are familiar with exporting/importing Escape trailers into the US and US buyers going to Canada to get their trailers.

A few weeks later we went back into Canada and returned after a few weeks via Sumas. I didn’t have a license plate on my trailer at that time, and I figured Sumas was the safest way to cross. They did want to see my paperwork. Anyway, during the questioning by the US immigration officer, he said “The stars at night are big and bright”, and I replied “Deep in the hart of Texas” (it is a song). He was testing me to see if I was really from Texas. My wife, who isn’t from the US, had no idea what just happened.

By the way, I don't think there are problems with taking large amounts of cash into Canada if you declare it at the border. There are other discussions on this form that have talked about this in regards to making the final trailer payment.

I would have answered, “And Bob Wills is still the King.”
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hey Don
Are you ok out there? Hate to see the news with all the fire and think about friends and Escape owners ( friends I haven’t met yet) being in danger. Keep safe.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... They might just need a "Fire Escape"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #51

Bob Wills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
The Light Crust Doughboys on Vocalion doing “Alice Blue Gown” just about makes me cry.
That Was Music.
I’m going down to Texas some day to visit a couple area museums and I don’t mean the Alamo.
Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Yessir. Never another.

'Deep within my heart, lies a melody...'

It's too bad he's buried in Tulsa. Someone should fix that. Belongs to Texas.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Hey Don
Dave
Thanks, Dave. We are OK. All the Escape owners in Ventura Co. that I know of are in Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Oxnard, or Camarillo, so.. are OK. We are 10 mi. south of the Thomas Fire, but the winds are from the east. Many friends in Ventura and Ojai are affected, however. Also, power is out to perhaps 20,000, with unknown repair date, due to high voltage distribution lines damaged in the midst of the Thomas Fire area. It's at 95,000 acres, has reached the Pacific Ocean, and we have a new wind advisory for today, for 10 mph higher velocity winds than any time so far.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Everyone, good responses. Ruthe, Ron and the Jims said my bit so I'll just add:

As a "young guy" with a nice vehicle, I usually get "turn it off, go the office" about every third trip when solo to the States. I assume it's a drug mule screen. Having a trusted traveler card and firm destination plans has reduced the number of questions from the years when I was just a passport holder. I just assume they will stop me (USA side especially, but prepare for both) so eat and pee just before crossing.

I've had literally 0 questions asked and 60 questions asked. The 60 question day, looking back, it was just a perfect storm for being hauled in to the office.

Plus, I've had the mistaken identity once too, but it was license plate related and a rookie was manning the booth.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #55

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Brother, someone should write a book about border stories.

My experience over the years has run from the good, the bad and the ugly. The worst, crossing back into CA from Mexicali. And all over half a grapefruit that we asked to put in a garbage can.

I've done the crossing with more than the $10,000 thing and crossing with firearms thing and never had the slightest problem because I did the paperwork required. But you can't blame border guards for following up if they have a suspicion about an illegal firearm. The sad truth is a huge number of folks lie and many illegal firearms are seized each year.

The past 3 months I've averaged one border crossing a week. Nothing but "have a nice day" both coming and going. And my sister's sundeck is finished.

Ron
[emoji848]
Just curious, would this be a problem at the border?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
[emoji848]

Since I've worn either a Gerber or Leatherman for just about every land crossing that I've made as an adult, I don't think so.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #57

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
A normal pocket knife that takes two hands to open or a non folding knife “should” be no problem as long as it is not on your belt while crossing. Just put it in the tool box or somewhere not easy to assess from the drivers seat.
This knife however looks to have the bump on the blade that allows one handed operation with the blade being opened by the thumb. This bump seams to be allowed unless the officer wants to call it a button. Then that is a whole other story.
Best to Google what is legal in Canada and make up your own mind.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #58

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
[emoji848]

well if its in your hand like that It could be a problem....... but if folded and declared i would not think so.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #59

Knives

The knives that can be opened without spring assistance are popular these days. The term for the “button” that I usually hear is a “thumb stud”. Good advice is for that short crossing time put your knife in the toolbox, fishing tackle bag, or other not easily accessible space. That’s what my son and I did with ammo, knives, and a hatchet when we crossed into Canada at Ste. St. Marie to hunt bears in Ontario. Of course we declared our long guns, filled out the paperwork and paid the fee. No problems at all. Declared the bears on the way back with US Customs. No problem there except with a young fellow wearing a Michigan University ballcap and my son Clay with his Ohio State Sweatshirt. Different kind of Studs.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #60

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Just curious, would this be a problem at the border?...
I doubt it. That appears to be a Kershaw Blur, with a normal thumb stud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
A normal pocket knife that takes two hands to open or a non folding knife “should” be no problem as long as it is not on your belt while crossing.
This knife however looks to have the bump on the blade that allows one handed operation with the blade being opened by the thumb. This bump seams to be allowed unless the officer wants to call it a button. Then that is a whole other story.
The thumb stud is fine, and is now a routine feature. The stud just makes it easier to push the blade out; it isn't a button which triggers the knife to opens itself (with a spring). This one also has an internal spring to assist opening (Kershaw calls it SpeedSafe®), but it must still be manually started so there's no problem. There are other designs of knives which are prohibited ("switchblade", "butterfly", etc), but this is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Best to Google what is legal in Canada and make up your own mind.
True. What would be a problem at the border entering Canada is anything which is prohibited by the Canadian Criminal Code. A good description (which references to follow for confirmation) is the relevant section of the Wikipedia page for Knife legislation - Canada.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote