Canadian Customs Purgatory - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I wore out a leather case. The bottom disintegrated. Replaced it with the woven one which has a pocket for extra driver bits.
Any place for bits on the leather case?
While I much prefer a leather case, I have not worn out the fabric case, though the Velcro closure does need periodic cleaning, and does wear out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #82

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 ta
I was born in Canada, emigrated to the US in 1990. Have gone back & forth across the border hundreds of times. Since hubby has a concealed carry permit in PA, he is always quizzed about firearms. We have never been detained, not even when, shortly after emigrating I forgot which country was my residence! Don't be discouraged. Be polite & completely honest, have your passport, pets vaccination certificates, etc in order, and enjoy the beautiful places both sides of the border. I am fortunate to have lived in 2 wonderful countries.
EllieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Yup. I'm hard on them. Always seem to be squirming around in tight spaces. This one's already beat up and it's only 2 months old.
The first time a fabric one had the drain? hole open up enough that my knife dropped through I was glad it didn't happen when I was doing something like stepping from a wharf onto a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never even handled that one. How does it differ from the Wave, other than having a titanium handle? Looking on the Leatherman site, it seems very similar.
Yes, lot's of similarities but I've never handled the wave so I don't know. I added a snap to the fabric ones because after awhile I didn't trust the velcro to stay closed. This is the one I throw in my luggage when I have to go through security. If I loose it, no big deal. I wouldn't risk the Leatherman in my luggage. Crappy substitute but this one gets to go to the Caribbean next week.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0007_resize.jpg   IMGP0008_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #84

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSiepierski View Post
On December 5, 2017 at approximately 2:30 pm I attempted to enter Canada through the ABBOTSFORD-HUNTINGDON (817)
Canadian Customs office.
I explained to the customs officer that I would be in Canada to pick up a trailer that I was purchasing from Escape trailer Industries in Chilliwack BC. I spoke to the officer with the utmost congeniality and respect.
The customs officer referred me to the office for further investigation.
Two female customs officers searched my truck and I cooperated fully with their investigation.
They asked how I would be paying for the trailer, and I told them that I would be paying cash via wire transfer.
They called Escape trailer Industries, and verified that I would be purchasing a trailer, and that there was no record of a wire transfer at that time.
I provided the officers with the name of my bank in Pennsylvania and the bank officer in charge of the wire transfer.
The officers asked for the password to my cell phone and I cooperated fully, providing it. I provided the officers with the password a second time when they forgot it.
When going through my cell phone they found a picture of a pistol. I explained to the officers that I had purchased the pistol in July , and that the pistol was at home in a safe. They were not satisfied with this answer and insisted that the pistol must be in my truck, and that they would disassemble my truck if I didnt tell them where it was.
They also frisked me and had me remove my shirt, looking for a "money belt". Im assuming that they thought I was carrying 32 thousand dollars cash to pay for the trailer.
After approximately 2 hours, and searching my truck twice, they finally confiscated three apples and let me through to drive to Escape Industries In Chilliwack.
As I was leaving the customs office, one of the officers asked me if I had any questions. I sincerely asked the officers what I had done to warrant such treatment, and how I could avoid difficulties in the future. They replied that I "must have done something, because we dont search everybody", which made absolutely no sense to me.

Some concerns:
-At all times I was respectful, courteous, and genial with the customs officers
-I have absolutely no criminal record of any kind.
-I courteously,clearly and genially explained in detail my business in Canada, where I was going, and how long I would be there.
-Did the customs officers have the jurisdiction necessary to search my cell phone?
-Is the photo of the pistol that they found on my phone sufficient evidence to warrant their insistance that the pistol was in my truck, and that they would disassemble my truck if I did not tell them where it was?
-If the officers did find a "money belt" containing funds would they have confiscated said funds?
If so, I can think of no more effective way of killing Canadian exports to the United States.
I think highly of the products manufactured by Escape Trailer Industries, and had planned on purchasing another larger unit from them in the near future, but I cannot justify making such a purchase, given the capricious behavior of Canadian customs agents
With Regrets;
Dennis Siepierski

Note: I spoke to the folks at Escape about it, and they said it "wasn't our problem", that they have no control over customs. It might not be their Fault, but as an exporter to US customers it is definitely their Problem.
A few suggestions:
- bring the issue to the attention of Canadian export organizations
-do more to make customers aware of potential problems entering Canada (it aint like it was years ago)
- devise orientation resources/ procedures that make it unnecessary for customers to enter Canada to pick up their purchased trailer.
Thoughts?
Why do you think this is a problem Escape Trailers should handle? Escape offers to drive and deliver your trailer across the border so you don't have to. This forum is loaded with testimonies by those that have taken advantage of this option.
You met with a crew of Customs Inspectors that were just doing their job. I think you, and the Inspectors handled it just fine.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #85

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I wore out a leather case. The bottom disintegrated. Replaced it with the woven one which has a pocket for extra driver bits.
I have the original (February '95) Leatherman, and when the leather case wore out (same problem), I just didn't feel right putting a Leatherman in a fabric case. Finally found another leather one.

I also had a battle with Leatherman trying to get a blade replaced that had a broken tip. They are guaranteed for a long time (the original might have been forever) but they stopped making the original and insisted on giving me a new, different model. Since it was a gift form my late wife, I couldn't part with it. No mater how hard I tried, couldn't convince them to do a repair rather than replace. Finally reground the blade, so it is still going strong.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #86

Trailer: 17
Appreciate you taking the time to share your info OP DSiepierski
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #87

Trailer: 21' 2018
Alright, I am troubled now. My husband has a concealed carry, and my husband and dad together design, oversee manufacturing, and sell firearm silencers.

Seriously, our trip up is going to be to go to the NRA conference in Dallas, where they have a booth, then keep driving to BC. We will bring silencers with us on our trip, and our trip will be a camping adventure sales trip. My husband is a respectable attorney, but they're going to act like he's Rambo.

I NEVER thought about the border. We now have two issues:

1. Where will we store the silencers and assortment of firearms when we go to into Canada?? Get a storage room in the US? My sister lives in Portland, but no-one else can be in possession of the silencers.

2. What the heck is going to happen when he tries to cross? We'll have two dogs and a toddler and we cannot go through this.

How long is the process from entering Canada, orientation, then crossing back? Should I cross without them and do it myself?
Old 01-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #88
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Owning firearms or having a CHL doesn't prohibit you from entering Canada. It means you may be subject to additional questioning or a search. Don't take any prohibited items, and answer the border officials questions honestly.

I can't speak to what you'd do with prohibited items. Perhaps an FFL holder near the border can help. This forum isn't really the best place for such advice.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #89

OMG I'm going to have to go by myself and they're going to strip search me and destroy the truck. Hopefully they don't test your vehicle for gunshot residue, bc that won't go well. Anyone local want to hang out with me for the day? It ought to be a fun one. "Ma'am, why is your family not with you today?" "Well, you see they're back in the US, right on the other side of the border, with a load of gun silencers and guns."

He thinks he should go alone, I think he'll never make it through.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #90
Site Team

It's really not like that at all. They will ask if you own them, and of course the answer is yes. Then they'll probably ask if you brought them with you on your trip, and again the answer is yes. Then, if you have them currently, and if not, where did you leave them. Answer truthfully. Honestly the worst that usually happens is a cursory questioning and a vehicle search. But they don't tear things apart. That's reserved for situations such as drug smugglers or persons who come back on their system with a criminal record or such.

They just need to insure prohibited items don't enter the country. Once they've done so, you're good to go. It's strictly a personal opinion, but I've found the Canadian border officials more professional and easy to work with than those in my own country.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's really not like that at all. They will ask if you own them, and of course the answer is yes. Then they'll probably ask if you brought them with you on your trip, and again the answer is yes. Then, if you have them currently, and if not, where did you leave them. Answer truthfully. Honestly the worst that usually happens is a cursory questioning and a vehicle search. But they don't tear things apart. That's reserved for situations such as drug smugglers or persons who come back on their system with a criminal record or such.

They just need to insure prohibited items don't enter the country. Once they've done so, you're good to go.
I'll send him then. But I guess the rest of us will stay south of the border with the arsenal. I can't imagine going through hours at the border kicked out of the car with my son and two dogs! What a mess! Boo, I'm disappointed about missing out on orientation.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #92
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's all kinds of places outside of Seattle that have firearms sales. I bet you could find one that has an onsite rental lockbox safe you could rent for a couple of days. Leave everything there, pickup on your way back. May save you a bunch of headaches and worry. And before you worry about the rental, these places are like bank safety deposit boxes. They don't even ask WHAT you're putting into the safe. Could be a peashooter for all they know.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:23 PM   #93
Site Team

Yes, as I mentioned, perhaps an FFL holder in the area can help. That way, you can all cross, and do the orientation.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #94

My conversation at the US border today;
Where you headed?
Arizona
How long do you plan to be in the country?
5 weeks or so.
Have either of you ever been convicted?
No.
Have a great trip.

Jasper never even got a cookie. [emoji848]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-25-2018, 10:43 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's all kinds of places outside of Seattle that have firearms sales. I bet you could find one that has an onsite rental lockbox safe you could rent for a couple of days. Leave everything there, pickup on your way back. May save you a bunch of headaches and worry. And before you worry about the rental, these places are like bank safety deposit boxes. They don't even ask WHAT you're putting into the safe. Could be a peashooter for all they know.
That sounds wonderfully mysterious!

I just don't think we can risk it. My son is on an ungodly amount of medicine, and if they took issue with us bc of my husband, and something happened to his medicine I'd come unglued.

I just don't see how we can all go now. It's fine. We get the camper at the end anyway!
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #96
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
It will ALL work out. Plenty of people have their trailers delivered and never see ETI or Canada. It's more about the future and what the trailer will represent and the places you will go. I wish you well!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #97

Quote:
Where you headed?
Arizona
5 weeks or so.
No.
Have a great trip.

I've crossed once, just because we are at Glacier NP and I'd never been. They took pretty significant issue with the fact that we were crossing only bc I'd never been there. It was nowhere near the OP's experience, nor was it near the smile and wave we expected. Once we got to a town we looked around for a second, but we were so weirded out by the experience that we decided to turn tail and get out before we did something wrong without realizing it!

Funny now but enlightening then that they really do take that border seriously!
Old 01-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #98

Quote:
Where you headed?
Arizona
5 weeks or so.
No.
Have a great trip.

I lied. I missed one question ;
Do you have any fruits or vegetables?
No.

Never even asked us about meat, of which we only had a couple pieces for Jasper. Looks like we shoulda brought a lot more for him, as we get good deals on it. Oh well, gotta support the American economy.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #99
Site Team

Quote:
Never even asked us about meat, of which we only had a couple pieces for Jasper. Looks like we shoulda brought a lot more for him, as we get good deals on it. Oh well, gotta support the American economy.
And when it comes to beef prices right now, you will! I don't really do the grocery shopping very often in our household, but I did last week. Holy cow the beef prices are ridiculous.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And when it comes to beef prices right now, you will! I don't really do the grocery shopping very often in our household, but I did last week. Holy cow the beef prices are ridiculous.
Buy it by the 1/4 portion! There have to be great options in San Antonio!