Canadian Customs Purgatory - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #121
Senior Member
 
santacruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 751
I suspect that today they would not be so lenient as to simply confiscate the weapon!
__________________

__________________
2009 Tacoma Crew Cab, TRD 4WD
2007 Tundra Double Cab TRD 4WD
2014 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #122
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - improved version
Posts: 2,434
Traveling to Canada has never been a big issue for us - yes we get the multiple questions because of the concealed carry permit I have but still nothing unusual.

Getting back into the US is another matter.
First time, I had to set in the office while they searched my truck - I got the "random" search ball.
The second time, the immigration officer wanted to see my vehicle registration papers. Oops, Texas doesn't issue registration papers - they issue registration stickers. Well, after a "long" delay at the gate, multiple questions, and insinuations about my intelligence, another officer came over and whispered to my officer that Texas doesn't have registration papers. That's when I got the "MOVE ALONG" multiple times from the red faced officer.
__________________

__________________
If It Isn’t Perfect, It Isn’t Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 6,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I grew up just going over the border both north and south with a drivers license or birth certificate but apparently they changed that and I'm assuming it is still that way.
When I was a little kid my grannies place was a couple of miles from the border. Dad would take us across the border to get ice cream. No passport, license or b/c. Times have definitely changed.

I remember the first time he said that we were going to the United States. We entered Blaine and I looked around and evidently said, "it looks the same." I guess I was expecting that people and houses in the US would look really different.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #124
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Traveling to Canada has never been a big issue for us - yes we get the multiple questions because of the concealed carry permit I have but still nothing unusual.

Getting back into the US is another matter.
First time, I had to set in the office while they searched my truck - I got the "random" search ball.
The second time, the immigration officer wanted to see my vehicle registration papers. Oops, Texas doesn't issue registration papers - they issue registration stickers. Well, after a "long" delay at the gate, multiple questions, and insinuations about my intelligence, another officer came over and whispered to my officer that Texas doesn't have registration papers. That's when I got the "MOVE ALONG" multiple times from the red faced officer.
Very similar to my experiences. The Canada side, no issue - returning, more of a hassle.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #125
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 2,063
i forgot i had pepper spray in my truck but remembered when the boarder guard asked me about weapons I told her i had it and she asked me to pull over and turn it in. Her big concern was i would not get the spray back- i told her it was OK i should have left it at home it was my fault i know their rules. They were very nice.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #126
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,584
Pepper spray is ok if it is Bear Spray. It must clearly be labeled with a picture of a bear and the words “Bear Spray”. And it is a crime to use Bear Spray on a human in Canada. That’s when it instantly becomes a prohibited weapon. We’ve taken our Bear Spray across and back at least a dozen times in the last two years. Just declare it if they ask, and all is good.
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:49 PM   #127
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Wow, great news! Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your work on the trailer. Looks like I have to make sure to reserve two Pins/buttons now to welcome our Canadian friends. Ron's and Jim's are on hold.
We are looking forward to it very much too. Definitely save me one of those pins.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #128
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I may be wrong as it has been since 2015, but at that time the birth certificate no longer was acceptable for the children and we had to have at a minimum passport cards for the adults and the kids.
I grew up just going over the border both north and south with a drivers license or birth certificate but apparently they changed that and I'm assuming it is still that way.
A passport is required for entry into the US if you are going by air or ship. By road a birth certificate for children (I think under 16) is acceptable. As mentioned earlier we often pass through MN on the way to Thunder Bay as does my son and his family. They have four kids the eldest three have passports, the 3 year old does not and they've never had an issue. We have crossed with her and her birth certificate as well.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #129
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
When I was a little kid my grannies place was a couple of miles from the border. Dad would take us across the border to get ice cream. No passport, license or b/c. Times have definitely changed.

I remember the first time he said that we were going to the United States. We entered Blaine and I looked around and evidently said, "it looks the same." I guess I was expecting that people and houses in the US would look really different.

Ron
I have to tell the story of our eldest grandson who lives just down the dike protecting our town from the Red River from Cdn. customs. He liked to ride to the end of his road which went up a hill to the dyke so he could ride down when he was about five. It's absolutely flat here, only hill is our dike. He would say to his mom "Don't worry I won't go to the United States"

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #130
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 1,533
Another story, when going through MN eastbound we cross at Warroad, never an issue there. Coming westbound we cross at Baudette, every time there we get extra questions, and if we have the trailer they always want to peek inside. Anyway one time crossing at Warroad with our four grandkids (with a letter signed by both parents) he asked us to pop the tailgate of the van. The boys had two nerf guns back there. Next thing we hear is a stern "Whose guns are these. You know you must declare any guns entering the US." We looked back to see our grandsons quivering in the back seat. Of course he was kidding and quickly sent us on our way whilst laughing.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #131
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
A passport is required for entry into the US if you are going by air or ship. By road a birth certificate for children (I think under 16) is acceptable.
Adrian
Ah, I remember now you are correct. We had to get passport cards because one of our kids was 16, so we ended up just getting them both passport cards since they were not expensive.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:33 AM   #132
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Trailer: 21' due April 25, 2018
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
It sounds like what's creating your problem is the post-conference "sales trip" aspect. Couldn't you simply leave the silencers with your father after the NRA conference and just enjoy the "camping adventure" part of your trip to Canada? You wouldn't be able to write your trip North off on your taxes as a business expense that way (which may be your intent), but that's not the end of the world. Our government could use those extra tax dollars.
Haha I wish we could write it off! I have no idea what'S deductible anymore in 2018! My priorities were build sheet, file taxes without an extension this year, then figure out what the heck is still deductible!

No we're actually going to expand exposure by meeting with dealers and distributors as we travel. By working to build a dealer base as we go, we justify more time on the road. We don't want to rush back. Ideally no work would happen on the road, but it would really be best. It's funny, neither of them are serious gun people (although they owned guns before this), my dad just happens to be a design engineer and redesigned silencer function when he decided to make his own personal one. Now here we are traveling with guns and silencers!
__________________
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein (or someone else)
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:15 AM   #133
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,381
Combining business with camping sometimes creates problems. Most people want to escape their work by camping. Not that there is anything wrong with using your camper for sales meets, but I'd make them separate trips, sales or family vacation, not both. That way it would be easier to designate personal vs business trips in lieu of trying to figure out how many hours were for personal and business and what percentage was vice or versa. Believe me, that is how it is done. But if the entire trip is one or the other then it simplifies things.Make a choice and stick with it, it will make it easier rather than trying to combine both in one trip.
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #134
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Trailer: 21' due April 25, 2018
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Combining business with camping sometimes creates problems. Most people want to escape their work by camping. Not that there is anything wrong with using your camper for sales meets, but I'd make them separate trips, sales or family vacation, not both. That way it would be easier to designate personal vs business trips in lieu of trying to figure out how many hours were for personal and business and what percentage was vice or versa. Believe me, that is how it is done. But if the entire trip is one or the other then it simplifies things.Make a choice and stick with it, it will make it easier rather than trying to combine both in one trip.
Are you mainly referring to the enjoyment aspect, tax aspect, or all of it being difficult if it combined?

We hadn't talked about tax impact at all, but if we decided to not deduct anything the trip would still be a major gain. If we did deduct anything (after I relearn what's deductible this year), it would just be if we went out of our way for a specific company, and wouldn't be much. If it's too messy to involve the IRS, we won't! We should talk with our CPA I guess. Off-the-cuff here as we were more excited about the opportunities than the deductions! But in the event there are some legitimate deductions we'll conference with our CPA before we go. If it can't be separated we won't try. The benefit of combining the trips was really just making use of covered geography. My husband is one of two in the company and it would be hard to take the trip without providing some benefit!

We have to have fun while mixed traveling, because it's part of how we justified doing this! The business may soar or crash or somewhere in between but we hope to have fun meeting with the connections we have, and making more!
__________________
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein (or someone else)
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:38 AM   #135
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,381
You may have a better concept after talking with your accountant, until then good luck and just enjoy the trailer. Later on you will have a better handle on how to benefit both personal and business, once you are informed and after becoming acclimated with camping.
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #136
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Alright, I am troubled now. My husband has a concealed carry, and my husband and dad together design, oversee manufacturing, and sell firearm silencers. Seriously, our trip up is going to be to go to the NRA conference in Dallas, where they have a booth, then keep driving to BC. We will bring silencers with us on our trip, and our trip will be a camping adventure sales trip. My husband is a respectable attorney, but they're going to act like he's Rambo. I NEVER thought about the border. We now have two issues: 1. Where will we store the silencers and assortment of firearms when we go to into Canada?? Get a storage room in the US? My sister lives in Portland, but no-one else can be in possession of the silencers. 2. What the heck is going to happen when he tries to cross? We'll have two dogs and a toddler and we cannot go through this. How long is the process from entering Canada, orientation, then crossing back? Should I cross without them and do it myself?
Hey Adrienne! So how did your boarder crossing to pick up your new Escape go? Inquiring minds want to know. I hope all went well. If not, let us know if we need to start a "Go Fund Me" for your bail out of the Canadian pokey!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:55 AM   #137
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Looking
Posts: 3
Customs Officers in training are told that US campers heading to Alaska ALWAYS are carrying weapons.
Wayne Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:08 AM   #138
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 15,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Henderson View Post
Customs Officers in training are told that US campers heading to Alaska ALWAYS are carrying weapons.

And, these customs officers are often right.

But, there are regulations and protocol that would have allowed those campers to take their weapons through Canada to Alaska, if they followed the rules and didn't have an inflated sense of entitlement.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #139
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,960
Training

While I have not participated in this training I do have a high respect and empathy for these people. I also would expect that the trainers are well informed to substantiate whatever information they are teaching. So with statistics in hand their training becomes valid and their duty to uphold the regulations is reinforced. I’ve been asked about weapons just like everyone else when I cross into Canada. I have taken weapons into Canada, declared them and paid the fees. Perhaps this information from nearly 10 years ago remains on their computer screen when they scan my I.D. I don’t know. But when asked a the same basic question twice, I refer to the fact that we hunted bear in Canada previously and that we got the proper permit that time but that we are not hunting bears this time. Every time I have been respectfully treated by Canadian customs and passed through in a short time with good wishes for the time we will spend in Canada. Bear spray is allowed in Canada and that’s all we are packing. The streets of my home town on a hot Friday night scare me more than a very chance encounter with Mr. Grizz. So I’m good with the gun totin profile they may be expecting, but the only heat I’m packing is Jalapeño SPAM.
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #140
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 7,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
While I have not participated in this training I do have a high respect and empathy for these people. I also would expect that the trainers are well informed to substantiate whatever information they are teaching. So with statistics in hand their training becomes valid and their duty to uphold the regulations is reinforced. I’ve been asked about weapons just like everyone else when I cross into Canada. I have taken weapons into Canada, declared them and paid the fees. Perhaps this information from nearly 10 years ago remains on their computer screen when they scan my I.D. I don’t know. But when asked a the same basic question twice, I refer to the fact that we hunted bear in Canada previously and that we got the proper permit that time but that we are not hunting bears this time. Every time I have been respectfully treated by Canadian customs and passed through in a short time with good wishes for the time we will spend in Canada. Bear spray is allowed in Canada and that’s all we are packing. The streets of my home town on a hot Friday night scare me more than a very chance encounter with Mr. Grizz. So I’m good with the gun totin profile they may be expecting, but the only heat I’m packing is Jalapeño SPAM.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... To me it's all SPAM!!! Is it Sept. yet? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________

__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×