Canadian dollar vs USD - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2022, 01:41 AM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
You are not alone. I think someone mentioned on some other thread they got their trailer a year before their anticipated finish date. I’d love to know how many people had to cancel their order to make that possible… Obvious to me that Escape 2.0 biggest concern is profit while customer satisfaction seems to have taken a nose dive. Word of mouth is invaluable for business growth, as long as it’s GOOD word of mouth.
The exchange was at 1.24 a couple of time this past year which almost puts the price at par. Escape is exporting the trailer for you, so what is the worth to you.

Also remember, when the US dollar goes up do cost of any part they buy from the US for your trailer.

Seems a lot of anger over something else out of some mouths.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:04 AM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Casita STD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
So what are you buying?
I purchased an older used Casita trailer for $20-$40,000? less than a new Escape. We are happy with it. Escape Industries is now extremely profit driven (along with minimal/no customer service). For me, the time to buy an Escape passed when the business was sold & their business practices were drastically changed. I choose to spend my hard earned $ elsewhere.

As long as they continue to sell trailers to US costumers who can afford them, who are willing to accept No exchange rates & minimal customer service - why should they change the business model that is working for them?
freetodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 07:07 AM   #43

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Sumas saves Americans paying 12% tax and allows for easy registration and hence an export price.
Pickup in Sumas did this prior to and without the huge premium over and above the actual currency exchange rate that is now being charged US purchasers via the fixed, separate pricing. Amazing, isn't it, that ETI used to "save Americans paying 12% tax" and "allow for easy registration" without raking us over the coals for several thousand extra dollars?
Old 11-06-2022, 08:00 AM   #44

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
It's kind of an interesting discussion. For US customers, the price is the price. Take a look at what ETI is selling, what else you can buy, and make your own decision. There are other makes, and there are used trailers. What you are not really cross shopping is a new ETI trailer purchased by a Canadian, because you are not a Canadian.

Fundamentally, what that product costs in other countries is irrelevant. This has been the way of things for people who don't live in the US for pretty much forever.

I live in a border town. People have crossed the border before to save a few bucks as the exchange rates and taxes make plausible. But that's for things like clothes, booze and cigarettes. A trailer or car doesn't work well for the same.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:29 AM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetodream View Post
I purchased an older used Casita trailer for $20-$40,000? less than a new Escape. We are happy with it.
Of course you did. You purchased a 2008 trailer and are comparing it to a 2022 trailer. Look at what a 2022 Casita costs and compare that, make certain all options are the same too. You'll find the Escape trailer is competitive.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:54 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post

Fundamentally, what that product costs in other countries is irrelevant. This has been the way of things for people who don't live in the US for pretty much forever.
I follow this thread with a wry smile. Bin there, done that. I owned a manufacturing company selling marine products and exported them to the US. The main product cost several thousand dollars. There were two prices, gasp, one in CDN$ and an exported price in US$. I got the same comments from US buyers who wanted to pay the exchange game but still have it delivered to a US address. Nothing new about this topic, it's been that way for years, only the names have changed.

But, as with other threads, it's one more place for dissatisfied folks to vent and spew.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It's only OK when it's a U.S. product like Ford, eh?
Old 11-06-2022, 12:25 PM   #48

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Old 11-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:23 AM   #50

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
The exchange was at 1.24 a couple of time this past year which almost puts the price at par. Escape is exporting the trailer for you, so what is the worth to you.

Also remember, when the US dollar goes up do cost of any part they buy from the US for your trailer.

————————————————————————————————-

Good point on the anger issues some have with Escape on here. Some have even bought other campers and still won’t let it go.
Others are angry about the new owners pursuing profit, yet have no problem with the original owners leaving the company in their hands for just that very reason themselves. You can be sure the original owners knew just who they were selling their company to and that there would be these changes.
I don’t think the angry people would be interested in their own income remaining stagnate, which in many cases would lead to their personal financial ruin, especially now with this rate of inflation.

I suppose its called motivated by greed by some that one of the reasons I bought an Escape was the incredible resale value, especially when compared with most other campers.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:30 AM   #51

No anger issue here; just disappointment at being priced out of the market (the dual pricing played a role, but it wasn't the primary role). My income did stagnate.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #52

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
No anger issue here; just disappointment at being priced out of the market (the dual pricing played a role, but it wasn't the primary role). My income did stagnate.
Have you considered turning your haulie into a snoozie? I watched an youtube about someone doing this. Even if you had to hire some help I'm sure you could do it for a lot less than the cost of an Escape 17.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:10 AM   #53

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Well, if zigging isn’t working out, maybe try and zag.

Not long ago there was a 5.0 and Ram TV for sale, Arizona Jack had a beautiful setup for a really great price. He was retiring from camping, all accessories included.
Not far from where you are.
The reason that one caught my eye was after just putting in a ton of cash, time and energy into getting my new setup going… I can tell you I would’ve been glad to have flown there and driven a working bargain home.

Usually the really good deals with most anything go quick, those who have prepared, are flexible and stay on the search get those.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #54

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
In comparing the US and Canadian dollar, I think the nod has to go to the northern version because of the variety of colors.

No contest.
Attached Thumbnails
19E2708B-4E13-4185-8AD8-F613234DF2BB.jpeg   F2E2856D-4C3F-4BC5-BCE4-87AE8BB46543.jpeg  
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:49 AM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree, the northern means of exchange is a lot more colorful than that green below the border...
Old 11-07-2022, 09:47 AM   #56

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Or as we say to our American friends, come visit Canada - Land of the Wimpy Dollar.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:03 AM   #57

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
The examples are not apropos. Walmart has stores in both countries. Ford, GM, etc have retail outlets in both countries. ETI sells all of its trailers.... wait for it.... factory direct, from the factory in Canada. Sumas is just a pickup point, not a retail location.
No Sumas or other delivery point in the United States is considered the point of sale. Otherwise, you would have to pay the Canadian Taxes on the trailer. Those Canadian Taxes are no longer rebated to US residents by Canada. That is the whole reason why a US buyer can not pick up their trailer at the Escape Factory.

Edit: by the way, if you Google it, there is a lot of stale information on the Internet about US residents being eligible for sales tax rebates. That is now extremely limited such as conventions.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Well, if zigging isn’t working out, maybe try and zag.

Not long ago there was a 5.0 and Ram TV for sale, Arizona Jack had a beautiful setup for a really great price. He was retiring from camping, all accessories included.
Not far from where you are...
AZ Jack's rig was $96,000. You call that "a really great price," but I call it "astronomical" in relation to my resources.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:19 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
Have you considered turning your haulie into a snoozie? I watched an youtube about someone doing this. Even if you had to hire some help I'm sure you could do it for a lot less than the cost of an Escape 17.
Oh, certainly I have thought and thought about it. And it might come to that. But honestly, I'd have to hire almost everything done. I would be terribly afraid of screwing up if I tried to cut window holes. And I have no good idea of how to shape upper cabinets to match the curved shell and anchor them properly. The thought of trying to plan out where every component must go, how the electric and LP lines will be routed, what must be done before something else, etc, etc, is overwhelming to me because I've never done anything like it in my lifetime. But yes, I could hire it done and it would be less money than a new 17B... but maybe comparable to an older used 17B selling price.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
In comparing the US and Canadian dollar, I think the nod has to go to the northern version because of the variety of colors.

No contest.
Reminds me of...

Click image for larger version

Name:	monopoly-money.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	65693