Cancel Escape Insurance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2022, 06:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 deposit in
Cancel Escape Insurance

Last December we were fortunate enough to purchase a 2019 5.0 about 800 miles from us. Within 2 days we were on our way to North Carolina. The next day after completing all paperwork I contacted my long time 'like a good neighbor' insurance agent and gave him a full description including the Title info and Vin # of our new to us 5.0. They of course took my credit card # info. Imagine my surprise when I received a cancelation notice from the 'good neighbor' home office today stating that they cannot find any information on Escape Trailer co. I have used this company for many years with no claims....pitiful.
Patrickinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
That’s too bad. Why not give them the Escape website ? But maybe they don’t use computers yet that’s why they can’t find anything.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Make sure when you do insure that they don't think you have a KZ Spree Escape, which is a piece of junk sticky that won't retain any value.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
Apparently that insurance company's database doesn't know there is a neighboring country to our north. Seems rather provincial of them.

It would be interesting to hear from other Escape owners as to what company is insuring theirs. Might make insurance shopping easier.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The insurance company doesn't need to know anything about manufacturers in other countries, because ETI is a registered in the U.S. federal database for this purpose - NHTSA's Manufacturer's Information Database (MID). Escape is Manufacturer ID 15617. The insurance company (or agent, or broker) is just incompetent, either in their record keeping, or their use of reference materials, or both.

Members of this forum who have been around for a while may recall that ETI had failed to register in this database as had been legally required for years, so they were eventually temporarily blocked from importing into the U.S. until they registered. I note that ETI's new owners have failed to update the record with the names of the current President and company contact.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:35 PM   #6

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Interesting as I have the same insurance company.

I will be reaching out to my agent ahead of my Oct 22 completion date
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
FWIW I'm with State Farm (why be coy?), had no problem whatsoever getting comprehensive (collision and other damage) coverage for my 2021 5.0 and adding it to my 'umbrella' liability policy (policy certificates are in-hand). Liability exposure while towing is covered to the limits of my State Farm vehicle policy, then the umbrella picks up from there (limits of policies are coordinated to avoid overlap).
  • I exchanged email with my local agent shortly after finalizing my build-sheet, providing a link to the Escape website and a copy of my executed build-sheet / purchase commitment with price particulars
  • Got an estimated quote from the State farm agent a few days later after they conferred with the 'home office underwriters', we agreed to a few tweaks on the coverages
  • I provided my VIN a week or so before trailer delivery, the SF Agent and I set an agreed start-of-coverage date (all documented via email and archived)
  • Shortly after pickup I received the policy certificate (showing the prior agreed effective date) from State farm with an invoice slightly below the previously furnished estimate.
Apparently, YMMV, Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2022, 10:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
when we bought our used E21, our insurance company was ready to deprecate it a huge amount per year based on its age, my wife had to explain that fiberglass trailers don't deprecate like that, they last for many years, and have a really strong resale value, she backed this up with a bunch of links to 'forsales' on this and other forums, so the insurance company did it as a 'declared value' policy. I think this was with Progressive.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I'm a bit concerned about my trailer being underinsured. I'm with Farm Bureau and they added my trailer to my existing auto policy without much fuss, but I don't think it gives me replacement value. How do I approach this with my agent? Is there an umbrella policy that is just for vehicles? Should I get a separate policy from a company that just insures RVs? I don't know the lingo or what to ask for.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 21NE
It must be your particular Agent. We have State Farm on our 2021 21NE. I provided a copy of the finalized build sheet, receipt of payment in full and Import documents. Fully covered. Maybe seek out a different Agent?
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickinms View Post
Last December we were fortunate enough to purchase a 2019 5.0 about 800 miles from us. Within 2 days we were on our way to North Carolina. The next day after completing all paperwork I contacted my long time 'like a good neighbor' insurance agent and gave him a full description including the Title info and Vin # of our new to us 5.0. They of course took my credit card # info. Imagine my surprise when I received a cancelation notice from the 'good neighbor' home office today stating that they cannot find any information on Escape Trailer co. I have used this company for many years with no claims....pitiful.
Hi: Patrickinms... Like a good neighbour State Farm is where?
IMHO insurance is a lose/lose situation. Like going to the dentist... it hurts but you have to go!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
It must be your particular Agent. We have State Farm on our 2021 21NE. I provided a copy of the finalized build sheet, receipt of payment in full and Import documents. Fully covered. Maybe seek out a different Agent?

Yeah, I have to be careful. I told another insurance agent that I had traveled to Canada with my trailer. He was puzzled because he thought you had to take a boat to get to Canada. And when I mentioned going to Michigan I had to show him on a map where it was.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'm a bit concerned about my trailer being underinsured. I'm with Farm Bureau and they added my trailer to my existing auto policy without much fuss, but I don't think it gives me replacement value. How do I approach this with my agent? Is there an umbrella policy that is just for vehicles? Should I get a separate policy from a company that just insures RVs? I don't know the lingo or what to ask for.
Just FYI
  • replacement value has to do with loss to your property (the trailer itself); that's usually not covered under an auto policy when towing, is usually covered by a separate 'comprehensive' (collision and damage) policy specific to the trailer
  • umbrella policy usually refers to liability exposure coverage (harm or damage to a 3rd party) for a wide range of situations. An umbrella policy usually must specifically list a trailer to include coverage of liability exposure related to the trailer; you may also get coverage for trailer-related liability exposure through a trailer-specific policy other than an umbrella policy.
  • Trailer liability exposure while towing may be covered by your auto policy to the limits of that policy but that usually does not cover liability exposure at other times (e.g. someone falls while in your trailer at a campground or is injured by an exploding cooktop in your trailer)
Don't be hesitant to sit with your agent and ask them to explain in terms you can understand
  • how your property losses (home, vehicles, trailer, etc) are covered and show exactly which policies cover each and to what limits / methods of valuation
  • how claims of injury or loss to 3rd parties or their property (your liability exposure) is covered for each element in your life (in your home, on your land, in your trailer, as a result of driving your vehicles / towing your trailer, your actions elsewhere, etc); again, exactly which policies cover each and to what limits.
If your agent isn't willing or capable of doing that to your satisfaction, it's time to find a new agent. There's absolutely no reason to be embarrassed or apologetic about needing education on these complex matters, and the devilish details can vary depending on the specifics of your insurance (so it's best to ask this of your agent rather than rely on generalizations or experience from others like me ).

One other generalization - the task of ensuring that you are well-insured can be more difficult when you have insurance from distinctly separate sureties/agents. Not impossible, but it can be more difficult because of the complexities of interrelationships between the policies and the competing interests of the sureties (sureties must and will try to limit their own exposure when a claim is made). The task of ensuring you don't have gaps or overlaps (both which can be costly) may be easier if all of your insurance originates from one source. Again, not suggesting that's a necessity, just that it may be a convenience worth exploring.

Finally, the extent to which an insurance agent is required to act in your best interests can vary from state to state. In Texas, for example, there is no law specifically requiring an insurance agent to act or advise in your best interest (as opposed to the best interests of the sureties they represent). IOW, for example, they don't have a fiduciary duty in law to advise you of gaps or overlaps in your coverage (but they must respond truthfully to direct questions). Caveat emptor certainly applies.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
It’s not reassuring when you know more about the topic at hand than your agent does. We did not have any problem insuring the 19 or the 21. I described the trailer and where it was made, my agent searched for about a minute, and came up with the description including “fiberglass” and made in Canada, and got a price which I paid. My annual rate rate has increased some but it’s still ok with me in my view. I’ve had a few claims on my home and my cars over the years and have been treated well with State Farm.

Years ago we had insurance on our first two homes with a local agent and never had a claim. When we bought the current home I stopped in to the change the coverage over. The owner said I needed to go out and take pictures of the new place. I asked if that wasn’t his job. He got a little testy. I walked out and stopped at my current agency on my way home. An hour later the agent called and said he would be out shortly. I changed over my vehicles, my camper, my home and my personal liability. I vote with my dollars. I’ve heard all the criticisms of insurance but I believe it’s a requirement for responsible civilized living and have never been without good coverage, even when I couldn’t “afford it”.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-22-2022, 10:21 AM   #15

Thanks for the information, Alan. That helps me know what to ask for.

Finding one company to insure everything is a problem in Florida, as most national insurance companies including State Farm quit writing new homeowners policies here several years ago due to losses from hurricanes. So far I have not been able to insure everything under one company but I keep trying.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:27 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickinms View Post
A few weeks ago I gave my Safco agent the vin number and it came up in their system as an error. He said it was no big deal for him to do a force into the insurance system and it was then just added to the rest of my policies.

He asked what I wanted it valued at and the deductible I wanted and that was it, besides sending a check…

I would look at the problems you’re having with your agent as a great heads up as it’s time to find someone else. If this presents such a problem for them and this is their way of handling it, imagine what it’s going to be like when its time to file a claim.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Each insurance company has their warts. With State Farm your policy and your agent are married to each other. When we called to get a name change with some inherited properties State Farm wanted to reset the premiums 4X as all the loyalty discounts went poof! LSS we wanted State Farm for one property yet disliked "Captain Hairdoo" original agent and it was like pulling teeth to change agents.

We have AAA for home, auto & umbrella and no one has ever been able to come close to coverage- even USAA which I had for many years prior to switching 25 years ago. However when it came time to get our van conversion(75% professional 25% me) rated as an RV I got told no a few times, yet was finally able to state a value and get Actual Cash Value less our deductible should it get stolen or totaled the new premium is $104/year more than just a bare cargo van, yet the value is more than 2X. Have the same stated value on my Escape 21 as when I bought it too so I would insist on covereage that is ACV. You're unlikely to get anyone to sell you a Guaranteed Replacement Cost policy when the trailer is more than five years old. Yet, that is somewhat of a marketing tool that is really the equivelant of ACV coverage. I know AAA won't just let you do ACV for a run of the mill passenger vehicle, however one of the reps I was talking to has a '67 VW bug that is restored and he was able to get ACV of $9K to cover his investment in the car.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:

I just insured mine to be. Small local insurance Co. They go to Progressive for what she called "The Toys". You have to decided what you want to cover, only when you are pulling(added to vehicle insurance, OR UNhitched as well as( parked in yard, storage place, camp site, etc.) I had a 8K alum horsetrailer, a tree from 120+' away decided to fall RIGHT on it................not covered.
Attached Thumbnails
Horsetrailer2.jpg  
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
A few weeks ago I gave my Safco agent the vin number and it came up in their system as an error. He said it was no big deal for him to do a force into the insurance system and it was then just added to the rest of my policies.

He asked what I wanted it valued at and the deductible I wanted and that was it, besides sending a check…

I would look at the problems you’re having with your agent as a great heads up as it’s time to find someone else. If this presents such a problem for them and this is their way of handling it, imagine what it’s going to be like when its time to file a claim.

You are so right, time to move on. Was the same with me. Insurance asked me what I wanted to valuve it at. Then told them, it was fiberglass & gaining value right now! She was fine on what I told her. Your rate is then based on what YOU value it at. Value at 40=50K, you pay for that rate all a long.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Yeah, I have to be careful. I told another insurance agent that I had traveled to Canada with my trailer. He was puzzled because he thought you had to take a boat to get to Canada. And when I mentioned going to Michigan I had to show him on a map where it was.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Oh well. Hopefully he knows, now.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote