Capturing favorable US/CAD conversion - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Capturing favorable US/CAD conversion

My Escape 19' won't be completed until January 2014. Right now the conversion is 1 CAD = 0.9507 USD. Have any US buyers set up a bank account in Canada to deposit funds for their future purchase while taking advantage of favorable conversion rates? My thought is that this is kind of like dollar averaging in the stock market. (When the market is down, purchases are like buying stocks on sale) So, if the trend is that the USD is getting stronger, you hold off depositing into Canada, but if the trend reverses, you make your deposits.
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When you send payment to Escape you can tell them to deposit immediately, then you will be given credit for the difference currently or about 5% more. Or you can gamble, wait until January and then make payment. You will be given credi the prevailing exchange rate then. I'm going to send in my money next month and request immediate conversion for my December Escape. I just asked Tammy this same question yesterday.
Right now it will almost pay for my entire 6% sales tax surcharge.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19'
Maybe use a credit card to make a payments from time to time when the rate is in your favor. Well as long as the credit card does not charge a foreign transaction fee and you can pay off the balance before the cc company charges interest. That way you do not have to try and open a bank account in Canada.
Mr.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #4

Most cc will charge a fee, mine did last year while in use in Canada and when I made my deposit on my first Escape earlier last year.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I'd second the credit card method, just shop around if your credit card company charges a fee for one that doesn't. I used my Chase Visa at the factory last month and there was no fee for that purchase.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...da-2064-2.html
The excange rate now is very good:
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/...rom=USD&To=CAD
Old 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, will get better, says those financial analysts. No guarantees though. You could have bought gold...
Old 06-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
May want to check with Escape as they have a wire transfer option. As explained by Tammy. Do a wire transfer to their US account, send them an email and they complete the transfer from their end and credit your payment.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #9

Capital One is a credit card that does not charge a foreign exchange fee. I recently signed up for one and they also had no interest until June of 2014. Are there any financial experts out there who think the loonie will fall any further against the US dollar?
Jrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Go here:
Canadian Dollar/U.S. Dollar News - The Globe and Mail

for recent stories and opinions
Old 06-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Some people buy US bucks when the rate is low and then forget their passports when in a location close enough to the border to shop !!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Our trailer will be built by early February. We've been watching the value of the Canadian/American dollar pretty carefully ever since we put down our deposit. So as of last week the American dollar was trading at a little more than 1.05 Canadian. We sent a wire transfer last Friday which didn't get there until Monday night and Tammy cashed it yesterday. The rate had stayed pretty much steady We ended up getting a rate of 1.038 which was a significant savings. It's a nerve wracking experience although usually the rate doesn't change drastically from day to day (at least while we've been watching) and now the Canadian dollar could go down even more, but we probably won't watch. It's a lot about luck.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've been watching the USD/CDN exchange rate most of the second half of this year. I have a client who is paying in Canadian and started watching the rates in the late summer. Now I have to pay in Canadian for the trailer. Unfortunately, the client isn't paying as much as the cost of the trailer, so I'm not totally matched.

The USD/CDN rate as been between about $0.95 and $0.96 for most of this time. It got up to $0.97+ back in the middle of November during the US government shutdown. I think we have another budget crisis coming up in January or February so that's something to watch.

A few years ago the CDN $ was actually worth a few percent more than the USD. For most of the 90s' the CDN$ was about $0.80 (if only I could pay at those prices).

With the rates being so close, I keep looking at the prices like they are in USD, so I figure it will be like getting a 4-5% discount when it actually comes time to pay.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #14

Goldman Sachs is predicting the Canadian dollar is going to do fairly poorly over the next year. If they're right, you may be better off holding onto your US$ as long as possible.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
That's right. If it goes down a lot more in the next two months we'll probably kick ourselves, but it's so hard to know. I'm just glad we didn't end up paying more than the Canadian dollar amount. Now with the build sheet done and the trailer mostly paid for we can concentrate on planning the trip out west.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Any US buyers with an Escape on order, take note - they're running a sale on Canadian money right now. This morning, the exchange rate is at 8.41% in our favor. You can pay down your purchase at any time. Just be sure to factor in the wire transfer fees.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #17

Wow, maybe we will buy another Escape.:
Old 01-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #18

If it gets too low, they may pay you not to buy one…….
Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #19

I used to follow the daily exchange rate during my past 2 purchasing periods. I learned that the daily rate really does not guarantee you that amount. When I wired money, it took a week, when I mailed money (remember to double your postage mailing to Canada) it took 2 weeks. What you can do is send the money up front and have Escape hold it in escrow and on the date you wish, contact them to process it. That process is quicker. You will also find the rate posted maybe different that the rate you receive, depends on which bank ETI is using. It ended up with too many variables to spend a lot of time trying to get the most favorable exchange. Just my .02$ worth
Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We made our final payment Thursday of last week and, on Monday, I called Escape and found that the money was already in Wells Fargo, the escrow bank. At that time, as Jim indicated, I was given the option to transfer the money then or wait. We aren't W.F. customers but, I was told by our bank, if we had been, the transfer to escrow would have been almost immediate.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote