Fastest Way to Pay for Final Bill - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Okay, I may have screwed up here and confused a wire transfer with an electronic fund transfer. I'm going to back off what I said earlier until I can clarify this.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
There are NO limits on the amount of cash you can take from the US into Canada. You have to declare amounts over $10K but you can take them.

Cross Border Currency Reporting
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
It's what they do after you tell them you have it that worries me!
Old 09-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
I think calling ETI Monday and getting the routing/transit numbers then calling USAA to do a wire transfer should work. You can't carry a cashier's check across the border as they consider it cash - we researched this recently! I can understand your feeling of panic but this will work out by the time you pick up your trailer! Best of luck��
We did for over 26,000. Just did not volunteer. It was a cashier check . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Well...last time we crossed the border we were searched - apparently just a routine check. They went through everything including my purse. My concern about not being honest would be that if they found something that we had not declared it could be confiscated. Not to mention the hassle of being detained for hours at the border and being denied entry. I would not want to jeopardize my ability to travel to Canada in the future.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I would suggest you call ETI on Monday. When I came to pick up mine, Tammy and I went to her bank and I wrote a personal check after being told there what the conversion amount would be. Previously I'd made payments so there was not a huge balance either. I don't recall totally, but there may have been a small fee for doing this. However, that was 2008, and there may not be time for trips to the bank (or other financial institution.)
Good luck! Safe Travels.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I wouldn't even momentarily consider deliberately hiding anything from border security people, especially a large amount of money. Yes, when you say you're carrying thirty grand they're going to ask why, but when you say "to buy a travel trailer" and show them the build sheet or other paperwork, it should be a pretty short conversation. That's a lot easier than explaining why you hid it, if you don't declare it and they find it.

The alternative is an electronic transfer, which is what I would do, but if anyone want to use a cashier's check or similar paper, that's a valid choice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Well...last time we crossed the border we were searched - apparently just a routine check. They went through everything including my purse. My concern about not being honest would be that if they found something that we had not declared it could be confiscated. Not to mention the hassle of being detained for hours at the border and being denied entry. I would not want to jeopardize my ability to travel to Canada in the future.
When we were picking up the trailer and paying the balance Escape was aware we were bringing the final check . We didn't know anything about not bringing that much money across until we saw the signs at the border . What we were supposed to do at that point ? Just keep our mouth shut . We were never searched or had any problems . I don't usually break the laws but in this case this is what we had to do . Pat
Old 09-27-2015, 01:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I wouldn't even momentarily consider deliberately hiding anything from border security people, especially a large amount of money. Yes, when you say you're carrying thirty grand they're going to ask why, but when you say "to buy a travel trailer" and show them the build sheet or other paperwork, it should be a pretty short conversation. That's a lot easier than explaining why you hid it, if you don't declare it and they find it.

The alternative is an electronic transfer, which is what I would do, but if anyone want to use a cashier's check or similar paper, that's a valid choice.
The check was not mine it was from a bank . No one asked so I am not volunteering . As said previously Escape was aware I was bringing check . We are not stupid if we are told the rules before hand to not follow the rules . We are crossing and there is the sign . Pat
Old 09-27-2015, 01:05 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Pat,
See post 22 in this thread.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:15 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I wouldn't even momentarily consider deliberately hiding anything from border security people, especially a large amount of money. Yes, when you say you're carrying thirty grand they're going to ask why, but when you say "to buy a travel trailer" and show them the build sheet or other paperwork, it should be a pretty short conversation.
I agree, not only the effect of getting caught can affect your border crossings in the future etc. but there's simply no reason to not declare amounts over $10,000.
There's no prohibition, cost or anything negative associated with it at least for me going South. I've done it buying both a car and a trailer from folks who preferred cash. The only "cost" is filling out a form. Considering the cost of getting caught not declaring the money it's worth it to declare it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Pat,
See post 22 in this thread.
Traveling from far away getting there early in the morning , seeing the signs , not fully understanding what the heck this means , no one mentioning this beforehand , no one asking these questions . We didn't volunteer anything . Pat
Old 09-27-2015, 01:22 AM   #33

That's understandable. I'm guessing that if you were carrying it in cash, you would have said so.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I agree, not only the effect of getting caught can affect your border crossings in the future etc. but there's simply no reason to not declare amounts over $10,000.
There's no prohibition, cost or anything negative associated with it at least for me going South. I've done it buying both a car and a trailer from folks who preferred cash. The only "cost" is filling out a form. Considering the cost of getting caught not declaring the money it's worth it to declare it.

Ron
Ron since it is not my country and we don't know or understand the rules , it would have been prudent to have been told what it meant and what to do by ...... Pat
Old 09-27-2015, 01:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's understandable. I'm guessing that if you were carrying it in cash, you would have said so.
Glen I would have been very afraid carrying that much cash , not only from border patrol's . Pat
Old 09-27-2015, 01:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron since it is not my country and we don't know or understand the rules , it would have been prudent to have been told what it meant and what to do by ...... Pat
It would have been prudent to ask.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
What's done is done and we can't change the past. This entire thread is a learning experience for a lot of us. I'm learning things I certainly never knew. I'm sure US newbies to buying a trailer in Canada especially appreciate it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If I'm carrying a a bank check from my bank payable to Escape, where is the cash or issue? I'm just a courier, avoiding a postage stamp, carrying a piece of paper to ETI. I can not cash the check, so why is it my cash? I think some common sense needs to be used. I'm fully aware of banking secrecy laws and the impact 9/01 had on them but still business needs to be carried on and the mail must go through.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If I'm carrying a a bank check from my bank payable to Escape, where is the cash or issue? I'm just a courier, avoiding a postage stamp, carrying a piece of paper to ETI. I can not cash the check, so why is it my cash? I think some common sense needs to be used. I'm fully aware of banking secrecy laws and the impact 9/01 had on them but still business needs to be carried on and the mail must go through.
Thanks for this Jim . Why would I ask about this if I tell those concerned and they say nothing . This is not something I have ever done before . It was a loan check from bank to Escape . Pat
Old 09-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #40

Jim - after googling the subject a bit more it looks like you are correct that if the cashier's check is made out to Escape and has not been endorsed that it does not need to be declared!
After encountering one particularly border security agent as we crossed into the U.S. at Sumas a few years ago (the type whose sociopathic tendencies blossom when given a uniform and a gun) we err to the side of caution and try not to take any items across that could lead to further questioning. He was so nasty I took the time to fill out an online complaint form about his behavior - only to receive a message when I submitted the form that the agency could not accept the form. One way to keep the quality assurance people happy!