fiberglass trailer discount on insurance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
fiberglass trailer discount on insurance

I went in today to arrange the insurance on our soon to be picked up 21 and was told that under the new State Farm guidelines, fiberglass trailers get a 20% discount off of their regular trailer rates. Has anyone else heard this from their insurance carriers?
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
We were very pleased with the rates from Progressive for our new 21. Roughly $185.00 for the year. No mention of fiberglass discounts. There seems to be quite a wide range in premiums for RVs. Roadside assistance was $10.00 additional for the year.
M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The insurance premium you pay will be influenced by your coverage, your claims record, where you live, where you keep the trailer and even your credit score.
So, discussion of the cost of insurance is a waste of time unless we have all the details. And even then, I wonder.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #4

This is a forum correct? This is a place to exchange information correct? I simply offered my actual experience as a reference for others. Lighten up!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:42 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
After I got Road Side Service through Amica I found there was a $100 max they would pay out per occurrence.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
baglo is correct, in that just about any two of us can go to the same company for the same coverage on the same vehicle, and get different rates. Plus, the coverage that suits one person might differ to the next.

I set up a policy to cover replacement cost of the trailer, the full value to replace it with new. I make certain all contents are covered, and that we are covered for emergency meals and lodging. That's about it, and that cost me about $250 CAD through Aviva.

I have never heard of a reduction in rates for a moulded fibreglass trailer, but it does make sense. They have a WAY better chance of surviving many kinds of destruction to them, whether bad weather (hail), bumps and bruises, to accidents on the road.

I wonder how many of us just never actually tell the broker that we in fact own a moulded fibreglass trailer, and instead just give the year, make and model when getting a quote. Might be something to at least inquire about when looking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hello M.W. Deters,
You got a bargain. I am insured with the same company, but my rate is $715 for a year with one year no claim discount. I knew that there is a difference in rate based on location. But $500 premium difference is unbeliveable. Lets compare the coverage: I have comprehensive (total loss replacement) with $250 deductible, collison with $2,500 deductible, Replacement cost personal effects $3000 with $100 deductible and also have fire department service and emergency expense. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #8

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
I went in today to arrange the insurance on our soon to be picked up 21 and was told that under the new State Farm guidelines, fiberglass trailers get a 20% discount off of their regular trailer rates. Has anyone else heard this from their insurance carriers?
state farm indicated similar rate to this buyer when considering various trailers for purchase...state farm specifically asked prior to giving a quote if it was a molded fiberglass trailer...mentioned that in some cases they were repairable versus other types they considered non-repairable..possibly meaning other types were a total loss in most cases.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hello M.W. Deters,
You got a bargain. I am insured with the same company, but my rate is $715 for a year with one year no claim discount. I knew that there is a difference in rate based on location. But $500 premium difference is unbeliveable. Lets compare the coverage: I have comprehensive (total loss replacement) with $250 deductible, collison with $2,500 deductible, Replacement cost personal effects $3000 with $100 deductible and also have fire department service and emergency expense. Thanks.

Tonny LR
And, that's what I'm talking about. The details.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hello M.W. Deters,

Tonny LR
Hi Tonny,
I have TLR: $1,000 deductible, Collision:$1,000 deductible, Mexico coverage, F.D.: $1,000, Emergency expense:$750, Vacation liability $10,000. Personal effects as well. I purchased through the website. I too was very surprised at the disparity between companies. This is legit, not a quote but an issued policy 2/8/16-2/7/17.
Mark
Old 03-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
Hi Tonny,
I have TLR: $1,000 deductible, Collision:$1,000 deductible, Mexico coverage, F.D.: $1,000, Emergency expense:$750, Vacation liability $10,000. Personal effects as well. I purchased through the website. I too was very surprised at the disparity between companies. This is legit, not a quote but an issued policy 2/8/16-2/7/17.
Mark
Hi: M.W.Deters... We have a similar policy but with one exception. They won't cover anything that we put in a claim for!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
I talked to State Farm [of Texas] to get more detail. The fiberglass discount is new for them, within the last 30 days. The 20% discount applies to the Comp portion of the plan. They said the discount was because fiberglass trailers were easier to repair and almost never had water leaks. Makes sense to me.

Another thing to check when you get a quote is are they giving you a six month quote or a 1 year quote. Presently State Farm quotes are for one year but in the past [with my Casita] their quotes were for six months. If you hear a number that sounds too low, it could be for six months coverage.

As several have noted above, there are lots of variables and it is hard to compare what you pay to what some one else pays. The deductible can be set from $100 to $1000 on comp and/or collision which makes a BIG difference in your premium. Also, are personal contents covered.... the list goes on.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #13
xyz

Trailer: nunya
I appreciated your info and also thought this was a forum for discussion - made me want to go look up my insurance and see if there's a special line item for fiberglass discount. Although the insurance on my trailer is quite cheap already ($975 for truck+trailer), it looks like I only have an "RV multi-vehicle" discount.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #14

Carry on. Discuss insurance, but without details, you won't learn much.
Is your trailer covered for 'full replacement' ( ie. they buy you a new trailer ) or do they pay out some depreciated value they determine? It makes a difference.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
fiberglass trailer discount on insurance

Glenn is right this time (hope he doesn't read this) just stating the cost of your insurance with none of the details means nothing.
It's those darn details that they charge you more for. [emoji6]

Cheers
Doug
Old 03-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #16

My insurance last year was $251 plus another $90 for plate and liability.
Full disclosure:
Attached Thumbnails
Insurance.jpg  
Old 03-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While comparisons of total insurance premium are pointless without all of the details - including information that most would not likely share in the forum such as residential address and driving record - this relative difference for fiberglass is interesting.

If nothing else, it suggests that when buying insurance for an Escape one might want to ask the insurance representative if the fact that the trailer is made of fiberglass has been considered. Given the existence of the K-Z Spree Escape line (which has an aluminum roof), they might not even clearly understand what trailer they are insuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
I talked to State Farm [of Texas] to get more detail. The fiberglass discount is new for them, within the last 30 days. The 20% discount applies to the Comp portion of the plan. They said the discount was because fiberglass trailers were easier to repair and almost never had water leaks. Makes sense to me.
That makes sense to me, too. I suspect that they mean any fiberglass exterior layer, not just an Escape-style moulded shell. To their list in some areas I would add that fiberglass (moulded or Filon-style wall cladding) is less susceptible to damage by hail than the traditional alternative (which is the aluminum cladding, often multiple panels of siding with joints, that is now relatively uncommon).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Carry on. Discuss insurance, but without details, you won't learn much.
Is your trailer covered for 'full replacement' ( ie. they buy you a new trailer ) or do they pay out some depreciated value they determine? It makes a difference.
I worked as an insurance agent for 3 years - I understand how insurance works. I'm not interested in sharing the details of my policy, as I know how much pricing varies from person to person, and with my and my wife's ages being approximately 30 years younger than the average member of this forum, our premiums will be in no way comparable.

I was simply intrigued about a 'fiberglass discount' - because it's interesting.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #19

My additional coverage is not $90; it's Basic ( $26 ), Third Party Liability - $3,000,000 ( $28 ) and the tag ( $23 ) for a total of $77.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #20

Trailer: oliver
I could not pass up commenting on this topic. I was proud to see a MA guy recommend the best company for insurance Yes, there premium are high but the level of service is top touch I worked for them for 15 yrs as an adjuster, and regret leaving them. I pay whatever premium they change for rental properties home and rv because you get service. Just my two cents worth which is worth nothing!
kevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote