Finally got licensed and titled in California! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Mt Shasta

In and out in about 45 minutes with plates in hand at Mt Shasta. Easy peasy...
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Blowing a raspberry at you, Patricia.

Thanks, Don. If it comes in 5 weeks I'm good.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Back atcha...
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:37 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Just recently tried to title/register in Anchorage at the DMV and was told they had to physically inspect to verify it meets DOT motor vehicle standards. On the DMV website all it says is that an imported vehicle has to meet the standards. I had the declaration from Escape that it does but it wasn't good enough for them (supervisor joined the discussion by this point). I made my argument in a professional manner but wasn't getting anywhere so I just left before my frustration meter started rising.

Decided to try a DMV contractor (they charge a fee above the DMV rate) and they agreed with me that they had all they needed with the declaration and issued the title and registration without any further issues.

So in the end it cost a few more dollars ($30) than the regular DMV which is a small price to pay to avoid the added hassle of traveling without registration and then making an appointment to inspect the trailer at the DMV later.

I had noted the advice from others here to try a different DMV location and it worked well for me.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:34 AM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
when I brought a used escape into california from Texas, I had to bring it to the DMV for a VIN verification. the guy read the vin off the sticker, wrote it on a sheet of paper, and signed it, then I had to include that sheet with the signed off texas title and my application form and check for the registration fees and use tax....
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Reimporting an Escape to Canada

I hear how complicated getting registration and title for you US citizens in different states can be. Just thought I'd post about bringing an imported to the US Escape back to be registered in Canada.

Despite the trailer being made in Canada I still had to pay over $300 to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles online after paying the 5% federal GST at the border. At least they used the Bank of Canada exchange rate, considerably less than what I'd pay for US$ at the bank.

So what did I have to do for my $300? Print out an inspection form. Hook up trailer and drive to my closest Canadian Tire 50 minutes away. Fellow came out with form, spent two minutes looking at the plate with VIN and weights. Checked the tires. Interesting the last question on form was if this is NOT a trailer check here.

Stopped at our insurance place on the way home but could not register since I didn't bring the bill of sale and title from WA. They already had copies faxed to them from Spokane in order to get a temporary permit. But they needed the originals of course. So returned next day with originals which they put into the fax machine and sent off to Winnipeg. How the government knows they were not copies and not originals faxed I don't know. Anyway paid my insurance and the 8% provincial tax and got my plate.

The RIV sent me a nice sticker saying the trailer complies with Canadian regulations. Of course it already has that being made in Canada.

I think if we ever buy another Escape (unlikely) we'll order new or buy used from a Canadian owner.

To add about towing without a plate. I just brought back a trailer from Indiana for my son without a license plate and was not stopped.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #47

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
titled in AZ

Friday we went to the contract DMV station in Tucson. One of the first things I heard was that I would need an inspection and I said I don't believe so as I have done this twice before at the same office. After reading the forms a little more closely she discovered the statement that the trailer was built to Canadian and US standards. Thirty minutes later and $1700 lighter we were out of there with the title and plate.
Now we just need a trailer.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #48

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I was leery of traveling back without a temporary registration as I was stopped in Grand Prairie once without plates (temporary registration) as the officer could not see the new car registration in the dark through a tinted window.

It was not a big issue but I'd rather not be pulled over even when I'm not ticketed
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #49

Trailer: none
We registered a SOB (some other brand) through our local AAA office. If you are a member (you don't need to buy their insurance) you can register your trailer through them.
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
We registered a SOB (some other brand) through our local AAA office. If you are a member (you don't need to buy their insurance) you can register your trailer through them.
local CSAA office said they won't do trailer registrations, I had to go through DMV.

and oh boy was this one fun. first time I went to DMV, all paperwork filled out, I was in lines for 5+ hours (they had some kinda computer problem that didn't get sorted til after lunch), and when I *finally* got to the registration clerk, she looked over the paperwork and declared that there were two names on the texas title, but only one signature, had to have BOTH signatures. "Um, the husband died...", oh, then you have to send the title back to the previous owner in texas, and she'll have to apply for a new title with the deceased name striken, then send it to you..... "SERIOUSLY?!?". oh. m. G.

I went back with an appointment a week later, different clerk, no problem, just check for $xxx, and bam bam. ok... except a week later I get a notice from DMV, they need $xxxx more cuz he didn't charge the usage tax. oh geez, well, send that in, and I now have plates. but what a hassle.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Aaa

We went to AAA here to transfer title for our first Escape, a used 17B. When we asked in advance about the 21 on order they told us they no longer handled a new imported trailer, so we stopped at Alturas DMV and it was easy; others say same for Mt. Shasta or Yreka.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
local CSAA office said they won't do trailer registrations, I had to go through DMV.

and oh boy was this one fun. first time I went to DMV, all paperwork filled out, I was in lines for 5+ hours (they had some kinda computer problem that didn't get sorted til after lunch), and when I *finally* got to the registration clerk, she looked over the paperwork and declared that there were two names on the texas title, but only one signature, had to have BOTH signatures. "Um, the husband died...", oh, then you have to send the title back to the previous owner in texas, and she'll have to apply for a new title with the deceased name striken, then send it to you..... "SERIOUSLY?!?". oh. m. G.

I went back with an appointment a week later, different clerk, no problem, just check for $xxx, and bam bam. ok... except a week later I get a notice from DMV, they need $xxxx more cuz he didn't charge the usage tax. oh geez, well, send that in, and I now have plates. but what a hassle.

Ours was done through the AAA office in Merced so maybe it varies by office?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Ours was done through the AAA office in Merced so maybe it varies by office?
was it an out of state transfer? I think they'll handle a california to california sale, just not out of state. another thing I had to do was bring it to a DMV inspector for VIN confirmation.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #54

Quote:
was it an out of state transfer? I think they'll handle a california to california sale, just not out of state. another thing I had to do was bring it to a DMV inspector for VIN confirmation.

No, it was in state so that may be the difference.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
For the record, I had planned to stop at the famous Mt. Shasta DMV but I came through on a Saturday and it's closed. I mentioned the Shasta experience others have had to the nice young woman, and she said they probably process it themselves which isn't in the rule book. I didn't argue with her!

The lady at Mt Shasta told us that because they have to send everything to Sacramento and it will take "some time" to go thru, that's why they gave us a plate "so you have something for the trailer" is what she told us

We got the title in the mail like 4 months after we registered the trailer.. just when we almost forgot that we havent received the title.

(registration renewal on the other hand they didn't take their time to mail that out... )
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
It’s About two weeks before I take off for a long trip. If I don’t receive them by then iam seriously considering taking the plates off the aframe in the garage and just putting them in the escape.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:14 PM   #57

Quote:
AAA in SLO handled the title & new plates for our used 17B from Oregon. They just cannot do imported trailers.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:15 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
It’s About two weeks before I take off for a long trip. If I don’t receive them by then iam seriously considering taking the plates off the aframe in the garage and just putting them in the escape.
I wouldn't do that as it is fraudulent and could be a reason for authorities to get their radar way up.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:36 AM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
The lady at Mt Shasta told us that because they have to send everything to Sacramento and it will take "some time" to go thru, that's why they gave us a plate "so you have something for the trailer" is what she told us

We got the title in the mail like 4 months after we registered the trailer.. just when we almost forgot that we havent received the title.

(registration renewal on the other hand they didn't take their time to mail that out... )
we got the plate in the mail along with the registration about a week after mailing in the additional money they needed, and the title came in the mail a couple days after that.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I got my California registration and license plate and it was relatively pain free. After picking up our new Escape 21 in late May, we stopped at the DMV in Crescent City. It was the first DMV office we got to as we re-entered California. We had made an appointment a few days before we arrived. We had not bothered with getting any temporary permits for Washington, Oregon, or California. The lady that "helped" me at the DMV was kinda rude, but I think that is kinda a requirement for all California DMV employees. She insisted that I pay taxes based on the Canadian Dollar. After initially refusing to even try to understand that the value of the Canadian and US dollar was not the same, I told her if I had purchased the trailer in Mexico I would have paid about 585,000 pesos. I asked her if that was the case would she tax me based on $585,000 US Dollars? She then actually looked up the CAD to USD conversion and taxed me correctly. I was also a little concerned because she said the VIN # has to be stamped on the frame, which it is not on Escape Trailers. She said "I'm not sure what Sacramento will say about that." She did complete all the forms and made copies of the documents ETI had provided me. She gave me a 90 day temporary permit and sent the forms/documents to Sacramento. I was there for a total of 90 minutes, which by California DMV standards is lighting speed. Exactly 60 days later by registration and license plate arrived in the mail.