Georgia 21 Registration - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2019, 02:34 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
When we went to get registered in Texas, the clerk had some hangup in the computer system not getting the dry weight and carrying capacity to add up to the gross weight - those numbers were on separate documents but did add up correctly, some glitch in her computer system though. Finally she just gave up and put in 3,000 pounds for the dry weight and 4,000 pounds gross weight to make it work....so on paper, at least, I have a very light 5.0TA.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
I got lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Platt Bell View Post
So keep looking. You might get lucky and find someone who decides they "need" a 40-foot toy hauler instead of an Escape. But be ready to pounce - when we bought the Casita, there were four people who called the owner and said they would be there the next day with cash.

Robert, I got lucky and agreed to buy a 2014 21' sight unseen, picked it up in Lander Wyoming and brought it home. Registered in Cobb County yesterday for $23.00, considerably less than the $2,100+ Cobb would charge for a new one. I've got to research a propane alarm that appears after about 30 hours. Not all the options we planned for the new 21', but Brenda and I are delighted.

It appears to pull easier than the Casita 17' and the MPG seems very similar.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Titling after the GA system upgrade

For those that may not be aware, Georgia installed a new motor vehicle system over the 2019 Memorial day weekend which meant the employees did not have a weekend at all as they had to work.

I received my "paperwork" from ETI the last week of June, the 25th I think, and was at the tag department the next day paperwork and checkbook in hand. When called to the "next available person" I stated my purpose for being there and started pulling out the various documents. She started with the Certificate of Origin and typing into their computer system. All seemed good at this point, then things slowly started going south. The first indicator was she could not input the Canadian zip code into the system. After that I got the feeling that this person did not want to deal with this, and was using and excuse to have me leave. She finally gets the tax commissioner into the mix and after some discussion it was agreed that they would contact Atlanta and get back with me.

Having not gotten any reply from her I go back on July 1, while in the office at a different window she sends me this:
"I've attached a couple of pages from the state manual regarding your travel trailer. The state will not title or register it until it is physically in Georgia. Since you are now in the office, perhaps our Supervisor, Renae and Commissioner, Rebecca can explain this to you"

The young lady I am sitting in front of, gets the 'deer in headlights' look about her when I explain what I am there to do. I then explain that the tax commissioner knows about this transaction and maybe she can help. I am ushered into the office area and into an office of a higher up worker along with the tax commissioner. After some discussion they start the process of titling the trailer. We are at the point of entering the VIN number which the tax commissioner reads of of the Certificate of Origin. At the 3rd to last number I but in that that is not what I have on another document I am looking at, and upon examining the remaining documents they all have the same VIN number. As you can guess the government stops working at this development. I state no problem and pull out my phone and call ETI only to get a recording on this attempt and the subsequent attempts. So the process stops until this VIN discrepancy is resolved. NOTE: I get home and snoop around the ETI website and I find out they are off on July 1 for Canada Day.

On the 3rd of July I call and ask for the person that sent the documents only to be told that she was off that day and would be back the next day.I explain the situation and eventually get to someone that does the research and determines the Certificate of Origin has the wrong VIN. She corrects it emails me a copy and sends the Certificate of Origin by 2 day FedEx Express.

My next trip to the tag office I by pass the workers and go straight to the tax commissioner. She takes the new Certificate of Origin and fills out the title application then she takes the remaining documents and makes copies to send to Atlanta. A $5 tag transfer fee, $18 title application fee, and tax in the neighborhood of $2400+, I was able to walk out with the ability to legally put my trailer tag on the new Escape, which the driver that brought it through customs did for me.

Now after an afternoon of emptying the bed of the truck, getting groceries, and the worst is figuring out where to put everything.

The moral of all of this is check your documents the check them again, and when you are done with that go back and check the VIN numbers against each other. Enough for now, I am going to finish arranging things and then were going to take the southerly route back to Georgia.
LIJ Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:38 AM   #44

Hello Ellijay

Congrats on transferring your license plate. Hope you have a great trip home.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 07-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
Congrats on transferring your license plate. Hope you have a great trip home.

Thanks Bill, we have made it to the Seattle area for the night. We wanted to spend a few nights and see some of Seattle but everything is booked, I'm going to look online in a bit. As a side note: Seattle traffic is every bit a crazy and Atlanta.
LIJ Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 21”
Today, I spent 40 minutes at the tag office, here in Paulding County, GA, and ended up in the T-22B trap.

Can't get a tag without a Certification of Inspection by a Duly Constituted Georgia Law Enforcement Officer, and can't get a T-22B when your trailer is still in Canada.

To misquote Joseph Heller, "There was only one catch, and that was Catch-22" - Form T-22B, specifically.

Glynn County - I thinkyou were lucky to get the process moving.

Had the supervisor, in Dallas, on conference with the state DMV (the afore mentioned "Atlanta") for about 20 minutes and we did manage to talk them out of a need for the EPA certificate and logged today as my "application date" so I won't get "tagged" with a late fee when the trailer gets on the GA roads in late September.
AndyWillowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #47
Hen

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Hi Andy
My husband and I just purchased a 19’ Escape and live in the Atlanta area. We are picking the camper up in May and are trying to register it beforehand. The DMV is giving us a difficult time. Do you have any advise for us?
Thank you ,
Denise and Henry
Denise
Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #48

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Hello,
Another Escape in Georgia. If you read through this thread I think most important thing is getting Escape to change the sales date so you are not charged the late fee. Sure glad when I bought my used it was easy sailing.
Good luck with all this and hope to cross paths some time.

Enjoy the journey.
Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Denise,
Since you already own a trailer, why can you not take the tags off and transfer them to the new Escape, or are you keeping both? That is what we do for automobile tags when trading in, just transfer them over.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #50
Hen

We are sitting here right now at DMV and tried to transfer the plate but the form T-22B still needs to be completed and the trailer has to be in Georgia before DMV will transfer the plate.
Any ideas
Thank you
Old 12-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #51

You have 2 options, bring the trailer home without a plate, as a lot of other owners have done, or ask them if you place the plate on the new trailer and tow it home and they verify the vin#, can you transfer the plate. I did that on my trailer, took the old one with me and once back in the states just transferred, normally you have 30 days to transfer.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #52
Hen

Because of the date on the Escape paperwork our 30 days ends tomorrow. We are trying to call Escape now to see if they will amend date on paperwork. Escape did however change the date on our bill of sale but not on the other forms. The people at DMV looked at all paperwork dates and told us our thirty days is up tomorrow. We are on the phone now with Escape. If the dates don’t get changed we will be fined over $3,000 for going over the thirty day deadline.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #53
Hen

Escape is working with us on changing date on the Bill of Sale to reflect date of possession. We will then have thirty days to register camper without any penalties.
Thank you so much for your help!
Looking forward to meeting you
Old 12-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #54
Hen

Thank you Steve.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Denise,
Since you already own a trailer, why can you not take the tags off and transfer them to the new Escape, or are you keeping both? That is what we do for automobile tags when trading in, just transfer them over.
State laws vary greatly. That would be illegal in Oregon. Registration, license and tags are for a particular motor vehicle/trailer. Not the owner. That's why when a LEO runs a license plate, it comes back with a description of the vehicle, not a description of the owner
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #56

Penalty of $3,000???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
Because of the date on the Escape paperwork our 30 days ends tomorrow. We are trying to call Escape now to see if they will amend date on paperwork. Escape did however change the date on our bill of sale but not on the other forms. The people at DMV looked at all paperwork dates and told us our thirty days is up tomorrow. We are on the phone now with Escape. If the dates don’t get changed we will be fined over $3,000 for going over the thirty day deadline.

Probably similar to my penalty of $98.09 for being late on a new Subaru Forester bought at $27,230 in 2014.

The penalties are listed as $10.00 for "TITLE LATE PENALTY", and $88.09 for "TITLE AD VALOREM PENALTY".

Hope your result is not too much more than mine - let us know when you complete the registration process.

By the way, I'm not suggesting you weren't told $3,000, I'm just suggesting you find a different clerk or a different DMV location if you get an outrageous penalty.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 12-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #57

https://dor.georgia.gov/motor-vehicl...-and-penalties

I should have looked this up earlier. The penalty is $10 plus 5% per month of the tax due.

It took me about 8 weeks to get the paperwork - another few days and my penalty would have been more.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 12-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #58

Seems to me, regardless of the date on bill of sale, it is the import date that is critical and starts the clock. It is not in the US until then, regardless when it was completed. The excise tax is 6% and I received a bill for every Escape I purchased assessing that import tax. In each case I informed them that I paid a 6% sales tax to DMV and they can go down 2 floors in Harrisburg, Pa to collect it. Case closed, 4 times. Seem to me I'd fight that penalty unless the import date is 30 days. I think Georgia's rules may conflict with the Federal Excise Tax rules in that there should be a time period where the consumer either pays the excise tax or sales tax but not both.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
We are sitting here right now at DMV and tried to transfer the plate but the form T-22B still needs to be completed and the trailer has to be in Georgia before DMV will transfer the plate.
Any ideas
Thank you
When I transferred the tag for our 21' and titled it before going to pick it up I ended up dealing with our tax commissioner in Gilmer County. Even though she stated the need for the T-22B she did say lets send what we have to Atlanta and see if they balk at any of it. This was before we left for Chilliwack the middle of July. When we returned home the last week of August, I retrieved the weeks of accumulated mail and in the mix was the registered title for the 21. She also let me transfer the tag for our Scamp to the Escape, which was put on in the parking lot of "Bob's Burgers and Brew" in Sumas.

I think it all comes down to the people in the tax office you have to deal with, and specifically the tax commissioner and how much of a stickler they are for following the tax codes.

Be persistent and polite above all else, that will go along way to getting the results you want. Maybe take the approach of how can WE accomplish this and what do YOU need from ME to make this happen. I wish you the best in getting the legal stuff worked out.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 21”
Hen

Sorry for the late response. We were not able to get a tag without having the state officer inspection form. I made sure the county tax commissioner noted when I tried to get the tag as my “application date”, so I didn’t get hit with the penalty when the trailer would get to GA 46+ days later.

I’d be glad to discuss our entire experience , if you’d like to PM me a phone number.
AndyWillowbee is offline   Reply With Quote