Georgia 21 Registration - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #61

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Just confirmed our build sheet today.
Barring any delays, I have until Oct 20th completion date to figure out what I need to do to get our new 19' registered. So far I have had good luck dealing with Coweta County GA with any registration issues, much better than other states I lived in (PA, OK, NE, TX, NM). Although the registration on my Scamp does say "SCAM". (Title is correct though)
Now I have to decide if we will head to Sumas in Oct/Nov, or have it delivered somewhere between here and there. Ordinarily the trip would be fun, but with states changing rules every day due to spikes in the Coronavirus it might be a rough trip.

Dave and Marilyn
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #62

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Just confirmed our build sheet today.
Barring any delays, I have until Oct 20th completion date to figure out what I need to do to get our new 19' registered. So far I have had good luck dealing with Coweta County GA with any registration issues, much better than other states I lived in (PA, OK, NE, TX, NM). Although the registration on my Scamp does say "SCAM". (Title is correct though)
I had the same "SCAM" on my 5th wheel, they told me that field was only 4 characters long. As for your registration, you like me have an advantage of having an RV tag in hand. A $5 transfer fee and you are good to go, but the title is a different story though. Mostly it depends on whether your tag office will require you to have a completed T-22B to turn in with your title application. My tax commissioner ended up processing the title application as any other and said that if they want the T-22B it could be done when we get back, otherwise there would be a title waiting for me in the mail. I had to end up dealing directly with our tax commissioner, the regular people behind the window were completely befuddled by the trailer being an import.
Quote:
Now I have to decide if we will head to Sumas in Oct/Nov, or have it delivered somewhere between here and there. Ordinarily the trip would be fun, but with states changing rules every day due to spikes in the Coronavirus it might be a rough trip.
I don't envy you having to make this decision knowing how you two love traveling. Not having national rules for handling the virus is insane. Any other time it would be a great trip and adventure, we enjoyed ours and want to go back when we can have a more leisurely pace.
Congratulations, and we look forward to seeing you in January.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #63

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
New Year

I think a lot of folks are looking forward to January.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-21-2020, 11:11 PM   #64

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I think a lot of folks are looking forward to January.
Iowa Dave
Amen to that.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #65

Wish me luck everybody!
Tomorrow I will attempt to get through the GA Tag office hurdles that are even more challenging with the COVID restrictions. My Escape was completed today, so I have an email version of the Certificate of Origin dated today, and the only date on my build sheet also is today's completion date.
If I can't get it done tomorrow it will have to wait until we get back since we head North on Thursday.
I also sold my Scamp Sunday (that happened super quick) so perhaps I can transfer my current Scamp tag to the Escape and have a real license plate when I pick the Escape up in a few days.
The delivery company will confirm the pickup date in Missoula Montana with me on the 23rd, I expect a date between 26-28 Oct. My timing turns out to be pretty poor, as they are getting a cold front that week, with lows Sunday night forecast at 7 degrees (wish it was degrees C, but it's degrees F). So much for checking the annual forecasts that suggested warmer weather than that, and whatever happened to global warming? Guess no water fill-ups until I get to warmer weather.
Escape did confirm it will be winterized.

I should be pulling my Escape by next week!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 5.0
That's exciting...good luck! I have registered several travel trailers in Blue Ridge, GA (Fannin county) where my parents live. It was extremely easy there, but I suspect it varies by the office and its personnel. My father and the lady in charge of titles in Blue Ridge were on a first name basis already, which always helps in a small town. I hope yours is also easy!
Old 10-21-2020, 05:39 AM   #67

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I guess one of the advantages of finding a preowned Escape, no issues at the tag office in Georgia.
I'm excited because actually going camping for the first time this year, Chilhowee Recreation Area, if you've never been there check it out.
Hopefully everything will go smoothly, enjoy your trip across country, glad to see another Escape in Georgia.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #68

No luck at the tag office today. Seems I need the "real" Certificate of Origin rather than the emailed copy so that signatures can be added on the reverse side.
They can't transfer my old plate either without having entered the new trailer into the "system" which won't happen until I get the "real" Certificate of Origin.
Too bad I'm leaving tomorrow for the winter storm watch zone or I could have them FEDEX the certificate before I left.
They seemed pleasant enough, and I was actually able to book a specific appointment time and was called right in.
I should be back about 3 days before my 30 day penalty kicks in, so I'll give it a try again.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #69

Quote:
No luck at the tag office today. Seems I need the "real" Certificate of Origin rather than the emailed copy so that signatures can be added on the reverse side.
They can't transfer my old plate either without having entered the new trailer into the "system" which won't happen until I get the "real" Certificate of Origin.
Too bad I'm leaving tomorrow for the winter storm watch zone or I could have them FEDEX the certificate before I left.
They seemed pleasant enough, and I was actually able to book a specific appointment time and was called right in.
I should be back about 3 days before my 30 day penalty kicks in, so I'll give it a try again.
Huh. Well that's good to know, my plan is to register my new Escape in GA as well. Thanks for the update, and good luck on your trip! Tell us how it goes...
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #70

Trailer: Escape 21”
Quote:

Dave - good luck. The issue we ran into (Paulding County) is there is a specific form that has to be signed by a Georgia peace officer verifying the VIN. We couldn’t do that until we had the trailer actually in GA. Depending on the day you’re coming back, you could have the form with you and stop at a State Patrol office to get it done, while you’ve got it hooked up. We missed the SP by 10 minutes, so as we left the next time, we went by the Sheriffs department and had the form filled and then went to the tag office. I know a lot of counties, outside the metro ATL are a little easier to deal with.

So excited for y’all.
AndyWillowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWillowbee View Post
Dave - good luck. The issue we ran into (Paulding County) is there is a specific form that has to be signed by a Georgia peace officer verifying the VIN. We couldn’t do that until we had the trailer actually in GA. Depending on the day you’re coming back, you could have the form with you and stop at a State Patrol office to get it done, while you’ve got it hooked up. We missed the SP by 10 minutes, so as we left the next time, we went by the Sheriffs department and had the form filled and then went to the tag office. I know a lot of counties, outside the metro ATL are a little easier to deal with.

So excited for y’all.
I bought a brand new trailer in Montana, and registered it in Fannin county, without the trailer needing to be in GA. But maybe this is different because it's coming from Canada? Either that or, like I said before, the process can differ quite a bit depending on the local office...
Old 10-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I am so glad to be in Tennessee. Twice, we went to the DMV with title problems, the first time we wanted to register a truck we brought from another state, but lost the title in the move. No problem, give us the VINin, we'll have it run through the stolen vehicle database. First thing I know we had a Tennessee title. Second situation: Wanted to sell a trailer but could not find that title either. Gave the clerk the VIN and she printed out a new title on the spot. Of course found both titles some time later, misfiled!
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #73

Update: SUCCESS!

We picked up our Escape in Missoula MT (delivery fee was only $199 which was what we would have paid just in hotel bills to drive the two extra days from MT to Sumas). We picked MT since we wanted to avoid any snow chances on the passes in WA, and were visiting a friend there. The weatherman decided to throw a wrench in our careful planning and placed the winter storm in MT and SD on our route instead.

Went to the Coweta County tag office today, and the clerk was polite but appeared to have never seen the type of paperwork I presented her. I had the "real" Certificate of Origin this time instead of an emailed copy, and also had Escape mail an HS-7 documentation form that another GA resident mentioned they needed when they tried to register theirs (I didn't get one at pickup time).

After a couple potential bumps in the registration and checking with her supervisor a few times, the clerk came back and said "You need a T-22B form signed by a police officer". I mentioned "I was told I didn't need that form", but I didn't point out that I heard that on this forum. She went back to the supervisor again, but when she came back she started typing information into the computer so it looks like I avoided the T-22B hurdle.

After all was said and done, they accepted what I had and after paying the $5 plate transfer fee, $18.00 title fee, and $2,140.18 tax at 7%, I now have a license plate for our Escape. They used the 20 Oct build date, rather than the 26 Oct delivery date, which was OK with me as it fit the 30 day window for avoiding a penalty.

Their were a few scary moments when a police car would be behind us on our trip from MT to GA, I was worried they would see the lack of a license plate, but we made it back fine with an empty license plate holder.

Just glad that is over and I get a title in the mail eventually. Strange that the registration receipt says 2020 EASP 19' .

Already have 3800 miles on the Escape and it's not a month old.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #74

Nice work, and thanks for the update! I'll be referring back to this thread when (hopefully) I am registering mine in GA next year...