Help/Ideas wanted for snag w/ title&registration N.J. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I have a contractor friend who has never had a license plate on his work truck in the 15 years I've known him, and he's never been pulled over. I think it's how you drive, and whether you're doing anything unusual, or somehow "look suspicious" (whatever that means!).
Old 07-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Didn't Barney own a Shasta?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We've driven 3 different vans from Chicago to Texas, via Detroit, Michigan, each without plates. They were donations to the business for which my husband worked, and title was open until we got home and could give papers to the business office. We were never stopped.

YMMV, but I'm not (very) concerned about bringing home a brand new travel trailer. Having said that, I will attempt to get the plate for it once I get paperwork from Tammy (or Barb?); but if my county won't go for it without the visual inspection of the VIN, we'll go get the trailer and (try) not (to) worry about it too much on the trip home from WA.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #24

Trailer: none
We had a similar concern when we picked up a used Escape from the factory. New Mexico would not issue us a plate without seeing the trailer in person. We took the plate of our previous trailer (a Scamp)and put it on the Escape when we picked it up in BC. We kept the paperwork with us until we got home and were able to transfer that plate officially to the Escape. Just a piece of mind thing. We figured we reduced our likelihood of getting pulled over for no plate and could explain the discrepancy if we did.

If you need help getting through the local DMV bureaucracy, we found that our local AAA office was able to make a few calls and find us a specific person to deal with if the process got stalled. That was very useful!
BTW, we never were questioned about the plate.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Didn't Barney own a Shasta?
That's right! This was his TV (on tv) Love that whip antennae

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:33 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Not unless you're interested in paying Washington State sales tax....
Question: Are you Washington State residents having to pay sales tax tax on your trailers? Gasp! That would be nearly 10%!

I'm an Alaska resident and Im not expecting to have to pay sales tax on my trailer ..... but then our only sales tax is a minicipal tax and not a state sales tax.

A strange thing did happen last week. About a month ago I bought a covered cargo trailer in Wash. State......to haul some family things back to Alaska. I showed my Alaska DL and avoided Washington state sales tax. The following week I was in Juneau with title and papers applying for plates at Alaska DMV. I had already gotten it listed as a commercial trailer with my insurance company. When I looked at my DMV papers, they had it listed as a private /personal trailer. "That will be $35 dollars / year Sir". When I told them it was a commercial trailer they said "Oh sorry ............. its $35 one time fee ....no tabs no annual registration or fees". I didn't ask any more questions.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:58 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I will be paying 9.1% when I register the trailer here in Kansas. And I have the feeling they are going to try to stick it to me on the Canadian dollar figure. Will be close to $6000 between the truck and trailer. And we pay full sales tax on groceries too. A real bite for people on fixed incomes. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:17 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I will be paying 9.1% when I register the trailer here in Kansas. And I have the feeling they are going to try to stick it to me on the Canadian dollar figure. Will be close to $6000 between the truck and trailer. And we pay full sales tax on groceries too. A real bite for people on fixed incomes. Loren
But you can store yours in a cave! Can't believe KS is that high. If they do the same as many places, they look at the Canadian dollar amount for the sales price from your ETI papers and figure the tax on the conversion for that amount. Since the Canadian dollar is down even more than when you paid for the trailer, they will charge you tax on a sales price that is thousands less. They will likely use a conversion rate for that day you register it--- not the day you paid. It won't make up for the high sales tax but it will "save" you something if they do it that way --- assuming the dollar situation continues the way it has been.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:20 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The positive about paying sales tax on groceries is that those who can only afford Kraft mac 'n' cheese pay little sales tax, while those who dine on prime rib and lobster pay a lot more.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:24 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The positive about paying sales tax on groceries is that those who can only afford Kraft mac 'n' cheese pay little sales tax, while those who dine on prime rib and lobster pay a lot more.
I guess I never thought of it that way. Loren
Old 07-25-2015, 02:17 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Well I might be in for a big surprise when I register my trailer. I'll find out in later October. Wonder if I could get away with claiming my trailer as a commercial vehicle?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #32

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
While towing back home am I required to stop at weigh stations, or it the just for commercial carriers?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
While towing back home am I required to stop at weigh stations, or it the just for commercial carriers?
I don't stop and nobody has ever stopped me.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #34

I don't think you'd be appreciated between a long line of semis, and if they want you, they will come and get you. Hmm, I wonder about those big diesel pushers. Loren
Old 07-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
ETI put the price paid for the trailer in US dollars on my Bill of Sale. There should be no question, or using a later conversion rate. It's what you paid for it, when you paid for it.

In California, we pay a "Use Tax", the equivalent of sales tax. And, trailers are not considered commercial vehicles here, we don't need to go through weigh stations.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If I had it to do over again, and I lived in a high Sales Tax and/or 'difficult to register an imported trailer' State, I'd probably form an LLC in either Montana or Wyoming, and register the trailer to the LLC. You'd then just assign use of the trailer to yourself as the owner of the LLC.

There are several companies in both states that will form the LLC for you, get the trailer registered, and mail you the plates. The cost of such a service is very low, and you pay NO sales tax, NO property tax, and a very low registration fee - typically $25 or less.

We figure we would have paid about $2000 less going this way. Of course, if you're financing, the finance company has to agree to allow such a registration, and that is sometimes a sticking point.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I looked into that for my first Escape and SD incorporation but found out only commercial trailers could apply, not rv's. Plus there are yearly fees for a registered agent and so on. Besides these sales/excise taxes are deductible off your income tax return.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
From NOLO:

When you buy an expensive item of personal property like a top-grade motorhome or RV, the sales tax can be enormous. For example, if you live in Louisiana, which has a 9% sales tax, and purchase a $350,000 motorhome, you’d have to pay over $31,000 in sales taxes. This was the situation faced by a Louisiana taxpayer. However, instead of paying all that sales tax in Louisiana, this taxpayer decided to form a limited liability company (LLC) in Montana, which has no sales taxes. He had the LLC purchase the motorhome in its name and registered it in Montana. He paid no Louisiana sales tax at all. In fact, all he paid was a $174 fee to register the motorhome in Montana.
Did this scheme work? Well, sort of. The Louisiana Department of Revenue found out about the purchase and claimed that the buyer personally owed the state over $30,000 in sales taxes, and tacked on an additional $16,000 in fines and penalties.
Am pretty sure in CA the Franchise Tax Board would be quick to call this structuring a sham.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
When in reality the tax code in these states is a scam!
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ironic, on both of my Escapes, the Pa Dept of Excise taxes contacted me re: import of a rv from Canada filed by Customs. The excise tax is exactly the same rate as the sales taxes here in Pa, 6%. I told them, in both scenarios to get off their soft office chair and walk downstairs to the sales tax division and they will find out that I paid the sales tax and NO I was not willing to send them copy of my sales tax receipt when they can get it themselves in the same building where they are located. Case closed.