Hidden VIN on E21C? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2023, 10:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Hidden VIN on E21C?

In a week or so I have to take our new 21C to the sheriff's office for an inspection before it can be titled. I have all the purchase and import docs from ETI, so do not expect a problem with that regard.

I expect the reason for the inspection is to verify ownership and that the trailer is not stolen or smuggled into the US. I know many cars and trucks have the VIN in multiple locations on the frame, engine, transmission, etc. Does out 21C have anything like this, and if so, where is it? Or is the only location on the manfuacturer's tag on the front left of the exterior?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
There's also the specification name plate inside the closet that shows the serial number.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 E19
VTR 68A, title & registration

Don't know about a "hidden" VIN, but the Heart of Texas Auto Theft Task Force (I went to Burnet but they cover around 17 counties) only looked at, and photographed, the exterior tag when I had my 68-A inspection.

Interesting point, the deputy wanted to know, and notated such, the "box length" versus the overall length for my E19.

FYI - appears you picked up your Escape in Jan.?
Just a heads up..........

The 30 day penalty window is 2 parts - title versus registration:
(generic "vehicle" importation verbiage below, which appears to have some counties require the "safety" inspection as well)

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...reign-vehicles

"A vehicle must be titled in your name within 30 days of the date of sale to avoid delinquent transfer penalties. Additionally, you must register the vehicle within 30 days of bringing the vehicle to Texas, and the vehicle must pass a Texas inspection before it can be registered. After having it inspected, take the following to your county tax office to title and register the vehicle:"

I'm thinking Bastrop county is a bit 'friendlier" than Travis on the above.........

Also, Travis only charged me sales tax on the base trailer amount, which appears to be the state standard..........?
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
It is going to be interesting when I go to register/title the trailer. Date of sale is probably Dec 22, 3 weeks to get it home, then until next week for the inspection, regardless of the fact that I made 10 calls to schedule it over a 6 week period, with the delay all being due to problems with the sheriff's dept. I do not know if they can/will consider extenuating circumstances or not. May have a chance to investigate the administrative appeal process, if there is one.
As best I can tell, for TX residents there is no solution, since you cannot get a temp permit that would cover the problem, particularly with the time it takes to bring the trailer here.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
It is going to be interesting when I go to register/title the trailer. Date of sale is probably Dec 22, 3 weeks to get it home, then until next week for the inspection, regardless of the fact that I made 10 calls to schedule it over a 6 week period, with the delay all being due to problems with the sheriff's dept. I do not know if they can/will consider extenuating circumstances or not. May have a chance to investigate the administrative appeal process, if there is one.
As best I can tell, for TX residents there is no solution, since you cannot get a temp permit that would cover the problem, particularly with the time it takes to bring the trailer here.
I would not bring it up...unless they do.

Worse case, the penalty is either 5% (1 to 30 days late), or 10% (> than 30 days) of the 6.25% tax assessed........not of the sales price.

Enjoy your new rig!
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Interesting dilemma, I registered my Escape in Bastrop County, too.

It sure seems like you made every effort to get it all done timely, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you in hope that our Bastrop County Clerk and the VIN inspection deputy can / will 'communicate and collude' if needed to avoid imposing the late-registration penalty.

Wishing you the best, please do update on the outcome.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Seems that many states have goofy systems for registering an RV.

PA doesn't offer any sort of temporary tag, so I got a 3-day tag in WA state at pick up. Had there been another person with me, we could have gotten a second 3-day tag; the logic of that escapes me as the tag is for the trailer, not the person, but there you are. So, I was legal for the first 3 days of my 10 day trip home from Sumas. Figured that the temporary tag would at least be evidence that I'd tried to be a good citizen.

Back in PA, I first had to take a form & the trailer to a police officer or inspection station to have the VIN verified by them, so there was no way to begin the process until the trailer was physically in PA. Then AAA needed that form along with all of the ETI documents & a check for the taxes to do the application for the registration - no way to do this yourself. The tag came right on time...8 weeks later. In the meantime, I'd taken the trailer to NC to have some custom work done on it, still with that 3-day temporary tag from WA state in the back window.

There's gotta be a better way...

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote