How to hedge exchange rate? - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2020, 11:22 AM   #241

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Sounds like they were trying to move to more of a Bigfoot model, where due to the US dealer network carrying Bigfoot trailers the exchange rate factor is eliminated.
The top reason we bought Escape 19 instead of Bigfoot 25 back in 2015 was the ability to get the benefit of the exchange rate. Hopefully, they’ll go back to the prior pricing/payment system so they don’t hurt sales.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #242
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Sounds like they were trying to move to more of a Bigfoot model, where due to the US dealer network carrying Bigfoot trailers the exchange rate factor is eliminated.
The top reason we bought Escape 19 instead of Bigfoot 25 back in 2015 was the ability to get the benefit of the exchange rate. Hopefully, they’ll go back to the prior pricing/payment system so they don’t hurt sales.
If they start selling Escapes on US dealer lots, then of course fixed pricing in USD makes sense. Otherwise, to put it kindly, I think of it as a finger in the eye to US buyers.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #243

Trailer: Searching
I was looking for a floor plan with measurements for the 21NE so I had another reason to call ETI. I spoke with a different person so I again asked about purchasing in CAD and was this time told that sales to US were only in USD. We discussed the exchange rate discrepancy, as well as my prior call, and I was told that I could speak to their controller. I didn’t do that as my decision isn’t imminent, but I got the impression that there was probably some flexibility. Again, that’s just my interpretation of the response. ETI’s official position (today anyway) is US customers pay the published USD price. I know that if I was purchasing today, I’d be pushing the envelope on the issue. As several have mentioned, the variance is more than 10%.
tgunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #244

Trailer: 2020 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBeatzX View Post
I have been watching the exchange closely the last couple of weeks, almost obsessively. My trigger finger is just itching to pull the trigger on an order. But as a US customer, if I was not able to pay in Canadian funds to take advantage of the conversion rate. it would be a deal breaker for me. I live only an hour or so from the border, and to know Joe Blow up the road can get the exact trailer as me for several thousand dollars less would not sit well.
I agree. As previously noted, some have gotten to change currencies and some not. I’m not sure about Canadian law but in the US there is a law about advertising a price and not honoring it.
TV Audi Q7 TDI
kdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #245

Trailer: 2020 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If they start selling Escapes on US dealer lots, then of course fixed pricing in USD makes sense. Otherwise, to put it kindly, I think of it as a finger in the eye to US buyers.
That just happened today.
TV Audi Q7 TDI
kdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #246

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yep, see here https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post329464
US pricing is now lower, hopefully it will change occasionally to reflect the market changes
Old 03-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #247

Trailer: Searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yep, see here https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post329464
US pricing is now lower, hopefully it will change occasionally to reflect the market changes
Actually, US pricing listed is the same as it has been since I’ve been researching. It’s still ~10% higher than CAD based on the current exchange rate (.71 as of today). ETI is using a .8 conversion rate, which hasn’t been seen since Feb 2018. The rate has hovered around .75 mostly. I originally didn’t care, as I was under the impression that I could use a broker to purchase in CAD.

I recognize that managing currency exchange rates is challenging, so I’m not sure why ETI chose to go the route of publishing pricing in 2 different currencies. It’s just going to cause angst with US buyers. Of course, goosing margins a little by leveraging the exchange rate sounds exactly like a business plan cooked up by a private equity group.
tgunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #248

As I said over there "Clear as mud" comes to mind......
Old 03-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #249

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If I were an American citizen, I would insist on paying the Canadian price in Canadian dollars, if it was to my advantage.
And you could do that. Set up a post office box address in Canada, take delivery in Canada, and take it across the border yourself... just the way many Canadians buy stuff from U.S. suppliers. I can't imagine going through that hassle, but some might.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
And you could do that. Set up a post office box address in Canada, take delivery in Canada, and take it across the border yourself... just the way many Canadians buy stuff from U.S. suppliers. I can't imagine going through that hassle, but some might.
You would have a tax nightmare with that scenario as you would have to pay the GST or VATor what ever it is called and then an US excise tax of 6% on the import or a sales tax in the state to register it.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #251

Quote:
Escape can charge buyers whatever they like, but if their charge to US buyers doesn't reflect the exchange rate and is simply set, that would not sit right with me if I were purchasing
You would be very unhappy if you lived in Canada, and found that your price for almost everything was higher (in real terms) than the price charged for the same item to a buyer in the U.S. You can get stressed about that, or you can just enjoy your fine trailer and be satisfied that it is worth what you paid for it.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBeatzX View Post
... as a US customer, if I was not able to pay in Canadian funds to take advantage of the conversion rate. it would be a deal breaker for me. I live only an hour or so from the border, and to know Joe Blow up the road can get the exact trailer as me for several thousand dollars less would not sit well.
When you buy a car or house, you negotiate a price, and you can be sure that (unless you are the one and only world's best negotiator) that someone paid less for their identical house or car. Now that you know that, will you never buy another house or car?
Old 03-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #253

Quote:
Really? This perception is only due to a realization that the exchange rate on which the two price lists are based has the Canadian dollar higher than the exchange rate of today. When the relationship is the other way around (and it will be, as rates fluctuate), will you consider this a "finger in the eye to Canadian buyers", and thank ETI for that?
Old 03-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #254
Site Team

Quote:
Really? This perception is only due to a realization that the exchange rate on which the two price lists are based has the Canadian dollar higher than the exchange rate of today. When the relationship is the other way around (and it will be, as rates fluctuate), will you consider this a "finger in the eye to Canadian buyers", and thank ETI for that?
Yes, really. It's not a perception, it's math. If the dollar takes a hit, so be it. I'm fully aware that the pendulum can swing either way. But right now, US buyers will be taking a several thousand dollar hit due to a change from CAD based pricing to a fixed US price. This is not the way Escape has historically done their pricing, but I fully realize they've changed ownership. Lastly, not being Canadian, I would not presume to speak for them should the situation be reversed.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunter101 View Post
I recognize that managing currency exchange rates is challenging, so I’m not sure why ETI chose to go the route of publishing pricing in 2 different currencies. It’s just going to cause angst with US buyers
As Karl has explained, they did it to please U.S. customers by simplifying the process and making the cost to them more predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunter101 View Post
I recognize that managing currency exchange rates is challenging, so I’m not sure why ETI chose to go the route of publishing pricing in 2 different currencies. It’s just going to cause angst with US buyers. Of course, goosing margins a little by leveraging the exchange rate sounds exactly like a business plan cooked up by a private equity group.
As the rate fluctuates, if it at some point favours U.S. buyers will you retract this statement?

Obviously, to please some people ETI should recalculate one of the price lists (or both of them) continuously, so that the displayed price varies minute-to-minute, making it fair for everyone. Would that stop the complaints? No, I think it would just cause different ones.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #256
Site Team

Quote:
Obviously, to please some people ETI should recalculate one of the price lists (or both of them) continuously, so that the displayed price varies minute-to-minute, making it fair for everyone. Would that stop the complaints? No, I think it would just cause different ones.
There's no need for two lists. Previously there was only one. Simple.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:11 PM   #257

Quote:
If the dollar takes a hit, so be it. I'm fully aware that the pendulum can swing either way. But right now, US buyers will be taking a several thousand dollar hit due to a fixed US price.
The initial approach by ETI to this idea of USD pricing was simply to fix the price in USD, and let Canadians "take the hit" if the CAD went down relative to the USD. That was apparently okay with everyone who is now commenting on this issue.

That "hit" is only relative to the CAD price, which is paid by a small fraction of Escape buyers. Why are so many people so upset that someone else might be getting a better deal than them... which is the only issue here? If ETI recalculated the CAD price list based on a more current exchange rate, with no change in the USD price, the CAD prices would rise and the basis of this complaint would vanish... with no change in the cost to U.S. buyers. It's strange that the problem is what someone else might have to pay, not what the actual complaining buyer is paying.

Perhaps the price should be fixed in something random such as Japanese Yen, so that everyone on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border can find a reason to be upset every time the exchange rates shift, since having an excuse to be offended seems to be so important to people.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #258

Quote:
There's no need for two lists. Previously there was only one. Simple.
Yes, it was. And there were endless discussions and much anguish by U.S. buyers over the issues of changing currency and varying exchange rates (such as this thread), which is why ETI changed to stable and explicit USD prices. I'm sure by now they regret having tried to be helpful.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #259
Site Team

Brian, my objection has ZERO to do with jealousy or resentment that someone is getting a better deal. My objection is simply math. The old pricing method would mean several thousand more dollars in my pocket. That's it.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #260

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
When you buy a car or house, you negotiate a price, and you can be sure that (unless you are the one and only world's best negotiator) that someone paid less for their identical house or car. Now that you know that, will you never buy another house or car?
Everyone has paid a different price for the same trailers based on what the exchange rate was during your contract period and when you decided to send your $$ since I can remember. We’ve all been well aware of that, and wasn’t an issue. If it’s a fixed price at contract now with no exchange hedge, which most if not all didn’t understand that’s what they were doing, it’s a different consideration. Will you never buy another car or house or trailer? No, but you may buy a different one knowing this doesn’t factor into the game any longer. 21 inventory trailers right now if the website is accurate, almost a million in inventory sitting. If I wanted an Escape, I’d get aggressive on offers on those that would take into account the current exchange rate.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote