Insurance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2017, 11:57 AM   #1

Trailer: Excited new owner of a gently broken in 2016 Escape 21
Insurance

I'm looking for insurance for my 2016 21'. Currently have Progressive and it's slated to go up quite a bit this year. I thought I'd look around, but ran into the same problem as last year.

Good Sam won't quote me, because Escape's do not show up in the drop down menu. Tried to sell me insurance on the stick model made by someone else.

What other carriers are out there that are covering Escapes? Any assistance would be appreciated.
yologals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
State farm but they will not do full replacement-new price
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #3

I've tried the Good Sam route a few times, and I swear they're just forwarding me to other companies, acting as an "agent". (Their ad campaign is not accurate...) Then it's the same old story, cash values way too low, and you have to negotiate a value with them, which drives the cost way too high.

I've moved back to using Liberty Mutual, who has our cars and home already. They gave me a very nice cash value without a fight, more than double what the others offered. Most companies just have no idea how to value these fiberglass trailers.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We have Good Sam (actually you're right, they are just the agent since it's covered by Progressive). Full replacement cost coverage, low deductible, and discount for storing in a secured facility - about $40 a month. Once I got them to understand it wasn't a KZ Spree Escape, there wasn't any dickering on the value.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We have Good Sam (actually you're right, they are just the agent since it's covered by Progressive). Full replacement cost coverage, low deductible, and discount for storing in a secured facility - about $40 a month. Once I got them to understand it wasn't a KZ Spree Escape, there wasn't any dickering on the value.
Our story is similar to Robert's. Called Good Sam, confusion at first with the other RV company, gave them the ETI website so the agent could eyeball on his computer screen the fiberglass Escape 21' trailer I was talking about. Quick computer search, and he told me Progressive had the best coverage with full replacement, and he transferred me to a Progressive agent. Gave them all our information over the phone, they quoted me $416/year. It seemed that our having previously owned a camper and for how long was important for the quote they gave us. They started our coverage immediately (paid over the phone by credit card), and they sent us a hard copy of our policy to proof read. Several mistakes (birth date, marital status, wife's birth date, cost of trailer), but I called back, and they corrected. Sent me a corrected copy of our declarations page. All was correct this time. So we were good to go. We have an umbrella liability policy through another insurance company, and they are perfectly fine with our Progressive policy as the primary coverage on our camper. While getting the umbrella policy, our agent for the umbrella insurance company ran the numbers on our camper and told me he couldn't do us any better than what we had through Progressive. Another interesting aspect of our Progressive policy is that if we put the trailer in long-term storage (I think it has to be commercial and verifiable), they reimburse us proportionately for the number of days it is in storage.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Anybody know what “name” we should use when insuring our 5.0 ta with progressive? They don’t have it in their list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
We had purchased Progressive’s Replacement for full price Insurance Coverage for our 21 before we picked up last August. It was $518 for the year. Last month, in order to save some money, we switched our two auto policies and cargo trailer insurance over to Geico and inquired about their RV insurance offerings. We got the same “apples for apples “ Full Replacement Policy for our 21 for $274, a savings of almost half. We’ve never had Geico Insurance, but my daughter in law’s family has had it for years and has been super happy with them.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
Anybody know what “name” we should use when insuring our 5.0 ta with progressive? They don’t have it in their list. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We just got our first renewal from Progressive for our 2017 21'. What is printed out on our paperwork is:
- - - - -
Vehicle:
2017 ESCAP
21 TRAVEL TRA
- - - - -
I'm not sure who decided how to truncate stuff, but that's what their computer printed out back to us. We did our initial policy over the phone, and I think I gave them ETI's web link so they could look at it on their computer screen. I hope that helps.
I hadn't noticed before, but our policy has a list of optional coverages with a separate line for "Mexico Coverage". We didn't pay for it, so it is listed blank (zero coverage).
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
I just add comprehensive and collision on my Costco auto insurance (Ameriprise). $100 for 6 months on my 2014 19’ Escape.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance