Insurance on a 15A? (Washington state) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Insurance on a 15A? (Washington state)

Headed for the DOL today for plates. No problem getting the import form on the way through customs or with towing without plates home (it wasn't that far).

I need to set up insurance which I will probably do through State Farm. Not sure what to put for value- can't do replacement value necessarily though if something happened that's what I'd want. With my Campster I found as close as I could to comparables but they were all over the map. Nothing current for a 15A. I'll talk to the agent and see what I can do and what they need but would be grateful for any suggestions.

Bobbie
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
When I insured my 15A back in 2013, I just gave my agent (Safeco) the VIN number and what I paid for it. I haven't given any date or been asked for any data since then. Premium...about $250 per year.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #3

Thanks, Karen. That's probably what I'll do, too, even though I know the odds of replacing it wouldn't be good.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Thanks, Karen. That's probably what I'll do, too, even though I know the odds of replacing it wouldn't be good.
Auto Club just photocopied our bill of sale (and customs forms). Bill of sale is the final version of the build sheet, so it lists all the options and specials we ordered, and it had the VIN, and it had the amount paid in Canadian and in US funds. In fact, we did that before we took the trip up to pick up the Escape, so we had insurance coverage from initial hitch up, 3 weeks before we ever visited the Calif. DMV. (Calif. rules: w/in 20 days of vehicle entry into state, it must be registered).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

It's easy to insure for full value if it is a) new and b) replaceable. Though I can probably use current purchase price- I did that with the Campster when "new" (i.e., only 38 years old) and then got comps when I moved to Washington (twice the coverage, half the cost for insurance compared to California.)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Good Sams has a policy that will buy you a new trailer with the same equipment for the first five years after mfg. if the trailer is a total loss. After 5 years they will give you what you paid for the trailer. It's higher than a normal policy but takes out the issue of what the trailer is worth. Ins. policies are state specific in the US and may not be available in all states.
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Headed for the DOL today for plates. No problem getting the import form on the way through customs or with towing without plates home (it wasn't that far).
Bobbie
HI Bobbie,
Just curious are you saying you took your own trailer through customs or I am just miss reading your statement here ? I have always wondered how hard it would be to inport you own trailer into the USA.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have State Farm and they insured it for my cost with a lower cost rating for comprehensive coverage because fiberglass is less prone to road and hail damage versus Airstreams.Mine was around $300/year with $100 deductible.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
HI Bobbie,
Just curious are you saying you took your own trailer through customs or I am just miss reading your statement here ? I have always wondered how hard it would be to inport you own trailer into the USA.
Yes- I bought it used so didn't have any other option. It wasn't a big deal. I looked up what paperwork would be needed- basically a bill of sale, and a preliminary import form. Then at the border the initial agent verified the VIN number and then sent me off to the side, to park and go inside. There they looked over my paperwork and then typed up an import form (which is one of the things you need to get it registered here.) It didn't take very long. I had a copy of the DOT sticker but they could also have verified that, they did not inspect the trailer at all. (It was empty, the same as when a new one is imported.)

I still have to pay state tax on it when I register it but there was no import tax since it was made in Canada.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have State Farm and they insured it for my cost with a lower cost rating for comprehensive coverage because fiberglass is less prone to road and hail damage versus Airstreams.Mine was around $300/year with $100 deductible.
Sounds good except it is already five years old.

Weird, that's not where I wanted this reply to go- it was to elongest. What I said here was, That's probably what I'll do.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm going to make sure I ask about that.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Sounds good except it is already five years old.
Use what you paid for it...........that is the FMV.....
Old 10-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

I need to set up insurance which I will probably do through State Farm. Not sure what to put for value- can't do replacement value necessarily though if something happened that's what I'd want. With my Campster I found as close as I could to comparables but they were all over the map. Nothing current for a 15A. I'll talk to the agent and see what I can do and what they need but would be grateful for any suggestions.
Not sure what you are saying here. Only a few companies will insure for full replacement value. That means that, if you have certain things happen to total your trailer, they will replace it with the newest version of that trailer including whatever you had on your build from the factory. For instance, a 2014 owner who has the trailer totaled this year, would get a new 2016 with everything you had when picked up. Some companies will insure for this on a new trailer for the first five years, some for four, others different.

I don't know that State Farm has such coverage. Good Sam does so you could look at them to see about the situation. A number of companies which insure a lot of RVs have it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I still have 'guaranteed full replacement' after eight years. I don't think there are general rules that you can apply across states or the insured. If I lived elsewhere, or had a different credit rating or claims history, I may not be able to get full replacement at this time. Only the insurance company knows what their criteria are.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #15

We do not have any companies here that do full replacement for eight years that I have heard but then I have only checked some. I think one did six. I am not aware that it is related to credit or claims here. They have what they have and will sell it for a price. At least, that is my impression. We do have differences in insurance by state and certainly in what is charged for the premiums.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #16

All insurance companies use actuaries. The result is the policies of the insurance company and what they will offer to whom at what cost.

Definition of 'Actuaries' Definition: A person with expertise in the fields of economics, statistics and mathematics, who helps in risk assessment and estimation of premiums etc for an insurance business, is called an actuary.
Definition of 'Actuaries' - The Economic Times

economictimes.indiatimes.com/definition/actuaries
Old 10-04-2016, 11:42 PM   #17

Yes, they do. How they use them in Canada may not be exactly the same. I don't know that anyone can get full replacement for eight years, as you have, from any company here but I will check on that. By full replacement, do you mean that you would be given a 2016 with the same options as at pick-up if your 2009 is totaled?
Old 10-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Yes, they do. How they use them in Canada may not be exactly the same. I don't know that anyone can get full replacement for eight years, as you have, from any company here but I will check on that. By full replacement, do you mean that you would be given a 2016 with the same options as at pick-up if your 2009 is totaled?
If so, Glenn needs to total it in the next couple of months.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:59 PM   #19

That's what the policy says, and I've asked the agent to confirm that that is the coverage that I have. I'm told yes.
But, I haven't made a claim yet.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:00 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
If so, Glenn needs to total it in the next couple of months.
Oops. My trailer got totalled. I have no idea how it happened! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk