Is tax payment required when registering in U.S.A? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 PM   #1

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
Is tax payment required when registering in U.S.A?

Hello!

I appreciate all the helpful insight I've been getting on this forum, I hope to someday be able to pass along what I've learned through my experiences too. I'll be picking up my 5.0 in about 3 weeks. Before I do I'll be registering my newly purchased truck and 5.0 in South Dakota. I understand I'll need to pay the 4% tax on the truck since I'm purchasing it in N.C.(In the states). But I'm not sure if I'll be expected to pay tax on the 5.0 as well since I'm purchasing it out of country(I really hope not )

thanks!
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Yes, sales tax(SD calls it excise tax) will be due when registering the trailer for the first time.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Two things you can not Escape from. taxes and death! If you do not pay sales taxes, they will hit your with excise import tax for the same amount, you can not avoid them. Also why are you registering in South Dakota if you Iive in Colorado?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaring360 View Post
Hello!

I appreciate all the helpful insight I've been getting on this forum, I hope to someday be able to pass along what I've learned through my experiences too. I'll be picking up my 5.0 in about 3 weeks. Before I do I'll be registering my newly purchased truck and 5.0 in South Dakota. I understand I'll need to pay the 4% tax on the truck since I'm purchasing it in N.C.(In the states). But I'm not sure if I'll be expected to pay tax on the 5.0 as well since I'm purchasing it out of country(I really hope not )

thanks!
Hi: soaring360... You will be lucky if it's only 4%. Here, as in BC it's a combined Fed. & Provincial tax of 12% called HST. IMHO (Hated Sales Tax). This is the reason that ETI exports the trailer for you via Bobs Burgers so you won't be charged the Provincial portion, but the trailer must be used mainly out of BC., to qualify. Taxes and tarifs are very complicated and in some cases locally controlled, along with the tag/plate. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Two things you can not Escape from. taxes and death! If you do not pay sales taxes, they will hit your with excise import tax for the same amount, you can not avoid them. Also why are you registering in South Dakota if you Iive in Colorado?
I escaped sales tax in Georgia by buying used from a private party. I paid $5.00 to transfer my Casita plate and $18.00 to transfer the title. I had expected to pay $2100+ for a new 2019.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Also why are you registering in South Dakota if you Iive in Colorado?

Whatcha bet the taxes in CO are higher, but a relative lives in SD?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Sounds like may be going FT and setting up domicile in SD. Gotta be careful on new vehicle sales tax switching states. Some states have a minimum residency requirement in the new state before you don’t owe sales tax to your current state. I don’t know what CO rules are but probably worth checking into thoroughly so there are no surprises.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

Trailer: TBD
This might be what is going on with SoDak registration.
https://www.escapees.com/education/d.../south-dakota/
Old 06-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
I escaped sales tax in Georgia by buying used from a private party. I paid $5.00 to transfer my Casita plate and $18.00 to transfer the title. I had expected to pay $2100+ for a new 2019.
Can't do that in MB, i.e. our provincial sales of of 8% must be paid in order to insure (mandatory) and register any vehicle no matter how it's purchased. Try getting away with a "false" sales agreement lowering the actual price paid and that won't work because our government will use the "book" value of the vehicle. The only advantage of buying used privately here is you don't have to pay the federal 5% tax whereas if you buy from a dealer you end up paying the full 13% combined taxes.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
While I’m no expert at this... I remember there was an “investigative” article on on Denver TV stations a few years back where they found a South Dakota licensed camper parked for a long period in Denver somwhere. Sure enough the owners were residents of Colorado. I can’t remember the outcome, but tend to remember as a resident of Colorado, one can’t own a vehicle licensed in another state without first paying the Colorado personal property tax on it. Anyway, I tend to remember it wasn’t a pleasant outcome for the owners when the Colorado tax authorities got involved.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Hello!

thanks!
Unless there is something unique and special about South Dakota, yes you will need to pay sales tax on your Escape when you register it. The best thing you can do is make sure you have the exact amount you paid for it in $USD, or at least what the exchange rate was when you paid for it. As I recall, the bill of sale I had to present when I registered mine only had the price in Canadian dollars, but fortunately I had printed out the exchange rate the date I made the full payment, so the person at the counter used that to calculate the $USD and and the sales tax I owed. But I have read accounts on this forum of folks in other states having problems.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
NY, like, I suspect many other states, even gets you when you move. I bought a car in Washington state ( beautiful 1969 Camaro SS Convertible if that matters) and paid the Washington sales tax. 6 months later I moved to NY, and when I registered the Camaro in NY I had to pay the difference between Washington & NY's sales tax.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
AZ only charges sales tax on new or dealer sales. If you buy a used Escape from another individual, no matter what state, there is 0 sales tax. When registering our new Escape the DMV officials looked up the code on the import docs to match sales tax, they could not match. DMV finally gave us the lowest tax rate in the state of AZ for an unincorporated area, 4% I remember. We were expecting closer to 8% and decided to blow the extra money on 2 years of tags instead of 1.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #14

Escape now shows both Canadian dollars and "US Dollar payments" on the build sheet.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
I am pretty sure you understand you register with your State? When I registered my Escape in Oregon - that was my new Title that I would have to have to prove my ownership or to sell. It was not fun in the small town in Oregon that I registered as the first clerk wanted to see my title!! She wouldn't register it without a title she said!!! I said the huge pile of documents that Escape gave me proved my ownership and proved the Excise tax to the US was paid etc etc. I finally got an older man who showed her how to register a new trailer in OR that was imported and how that would give us a Title and two years worth of license registration paid (we renew every two years on auto's and trailers are classified as auto's in Oregon - go figure). We walked out of that remote office with a license plate and the Title came in the mail later. Sales tax, is of course, a State by State issue. Oregon doesn't have one. We have an income tax that covers all that.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #16

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Sounds like may be going FT and setting up domicile in SD. Gotta be careful on new vehicle sales tax switching states. Some states have a minimum residency requirement in the new state before you don’t owe sales tax to your current state. I don’t know what CO rules are but probably worth checking into thoroughly so there are no surprises.
That's exactly right! I'm going to be Full timing in my escape. Texas, SD, and Florida are all friendly for full timers and make it pretty easy.
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:58 AM   #17

Quote:
That's exactly right! I'm going to be Full timing in my escape. Texas, SD, and Florida are all friendly for full timers and make it pretty easy.
So you have answered your own question? Let us know the results.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Unless there is something unique and special about South Dakota, yes you will need to pay sales tax on your Escape when you register it. The best thing you can do is make sure you have the exact amount you paid for it in $USD, or at least what the exchange rate was when you paid for it. As I recall, the bill of sale I had to present when I registered mine only had the price in Canadian dollars, but fortunately I had printed out the exchange rate the date I made the full payment, so the person at the counter used that to calculate the $USD and and the sales tax I owed. But I have read accounts on this forum of folks in other states having problems.
I asked ETI to send my Bill of Sale in USD and that's what they did. No problem with conversion. Make everything as easy as possible for the DMV folks.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Like most people I had to pay a registration tax when I registered my trailer. In my case I think Florida's tax was 5% of the price of the trailer. But some states also have a personal property tax, in which case you have to pay a sizeable tax on the trailer *every year*. This was a big election issue in Virginia several years ago, where they called it the "car tax".
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #20

Ever notice those states with higher taxes have a higher standard of living. You get what you pay for in life.