It's Easy In Florida - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
It's Easy In Florida

We just returned from the county tax and title office. I was hoping to have a license plate for the new trailer so we wouldn't have to worry about the trip home without one. The pleasant young lady who waited on us had never registered a trailer from Canada so she called for help. The supervisor came over, looked at the paperwork that ETI had sent and reported “no problem.” He said that if we didn't have what we paid in US dollars, (we did), we could simply use the Google exchange rate for the day. He did ask us what they called their money in Canada, so I'm guessing he hadn't had very much experience either.

I held my breath when the young lady asked when we had taken possession of the trailer, and my wife answered “we haven't picked it up yet.” But the lady simply said “would today's date be okay for the paperwork?” Anyway, we left after about fifteen or twenty minutes with license plate, Florida registration, and Florida title in hand - it couldn't have been easier or any more pleasant.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sometimes the worry is worse than actuality.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
NC was a no go for registration. I will tow my trailer for 9 weeks without a plate. I'll have all my paperwork in case I am stopped. Hopefully that Canadian maple leaf tire cover will imply that we're from Canada and "they" don't use trailer plates. Seems to have worked for others! Just 4 more days and we head up to Chilliwack! Only 1 year since we saw our 1st Escape!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Have a safe trip and lots of fun!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
My experience was similar to Ray's. The young woman at the Santa Rosa County tax office took one look at the paperwork I received from Escape, picked out the form she needed, and after paying my tax I had my tag, title, and registration. I brought the tag with me and Escape put it on the trailer after bringing it across the border. Easy as pie.

Mike Lewis
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #6

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
We had the same experience here in Washington. Nice to have the License in hand for when we take possession. From Sumas, we are heading straight out for Montana.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21
It was easy in Illinois, too!

Today, we entered the single digits for our departure to Chilliwack--we leave in 9 days!!! So we went to the local DMV today to get our temporary plate and pay the sales tax and it went great (well, except the part about writing the check for the sales tax...ugh)! The folks there never had this type of scenario, but after a quick call to Springfield they completed everything successfully. It took 1 1/2 hours, but we left with a plate and are good to go! Thanks to Escape for sending all of the paperwork we needed!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I wanted to do the same thing here in New Mexico... register and bring plates with me when picking up my 19.

The paperwork Escape provides makes all that easy but that doesn't mean or guarantee your local DMV person behind the counter knows this. After a frustrating session I gave up, left empty handed, and searched for another DMV office. I found one 50 miles away. Almost had the same issue there but fortunately this time a supervisor came to my rescue and educated granny.

Felt so good bringing plates to Sumas.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We live in North Carolina and they wouldn't issue plates before getting the border paperwork. We towed for 6 weeks and 5200 miles before getting a plate. When we got to Louisiana we were glad to have a plate as the roads were full of police.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Ohh, you guys are soooooooooooooo lucky!
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We just returned from the county tax and title office. I was hoping to have a license plate for the new trailer so we wouldn't have to worry about the trip home without one. The pleasant young lady who waited on us had never registered a trailer from Canada so she called for help. The supervisor came over, looked at the paperwork that ETI had sent and reported “no problem.” He said that if we didn't have what we paid in US dollars, (we did), we could simply use the Google exchange rate for the day. He did ask us what they called their money in Canada, so I'm guessing he hadn't had very much experience either.

I held my breath when the young lady asked when we had taken possession of the trailer, and my wife answered “we haven't picked it up yet.” But the lady simply said “would today's date be okay for the paperwork?” Anyway, we left after about fifteen or twenty minutes with license plate, Florida registration, and Florida title in hand - it couldn't have been easier or any more pleasant.
Hi: Ray N... Nice to meet you in Osoyoos BC. Nice site on the lake too!!!
It was really easy in Ontario Canada when we got back. Once the nice lady got her head around the fact we paid the 5% GST tax in BC. we only had to pay a few more thousand 8% PST tax + a $10. fee in Ontario!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Called DMV in California today. After a long hold it was no because our entry point was Washington, and we could go to their DMV for a "transit pass" or something. Am going to use one of the new car Dealer license plate frames with their cardboard advertising. Shouldn't be a problem.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #13

I got one of those Washington temporary plates for $30 while contemplating picking up my Escape 19. Very easy to to do ! I contacted the closest taxing authority in Bellingham- see here https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/...aspx?County=37. Here are the rules for the 3 day permit WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Vehicle trip permits
Not sure customs will allow you to cross into US without a plate/permit. This should get you back to California with something on the trailer.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #14

Escape is bringing the trailer across, right? Then a US customer hooks up and drives away. I notice you quoted a "taxing authority" in Bellingham. That's what it is- another garbage tax. Fortunately we did our Canada trip in June and won't be going back across the border so am comfortable having it look like a new car. How many people get pulled over for no license plates driving a new car?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #15

You may be the first……..I just answered your question, you decide if you want to abide by it, garbage or not.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure customs will allow you to cross into US without a plate/permit. This should get you back to California with something on the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Escape is bringing the trailer across, right? Then a US customer hooks up and drives away.
True, but some buyers take delivery in the U.S. and then immediately take the trailer to Chilliwack for orientation or other follow-up - or just into Canada for vacation while they are in the area - which leaves them needing to re-enter the U.S. with the trailer themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
EFortunately we did our Canada trip in June and won't be going back across the border so am comfortable having it look like a new car. How many people get pulled over for no license plates driving a new car?
This varies by location. In any Canadian province I've been in, new cars have proper license plates from the moment they leave the dealership, so driving a vehicle with no plate will likely get you pulled over. Granted, a trailer is not as likely to get a police officer's attention, but even trailers are not towed without plates here.

I realize that in some states the system is quite different, and new cars drive for long periods with a piece of paper while waiting for plates. We had a rental car with just a paper tag once. It is rumoured that Steve Jobs leased (or bought) a new car every few months so he never had a license plate.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I towed my Escape home to North Van from Chilliwack, forgetting to put the plate on, although I had it with me.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #18

There has been a lot of posts regarding title/plate, etc. To me the big issue is insurance. Under my AAA policy I am automatically insured during the first 30 days of ownership. That's what really matters to me, not Barney Fife.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
In the "old days" (2009), when I got mine, I picked her up in Chilliwack, along with paperwork, stayed a few days, then headed back to California, staying in Oregon for a couple of days, and about a week later went to California DMV. It had never occurred to me to get a license plate for something I didn't have yet. I just figured I'd show the paperwork, if I got stopped.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, if you did get stopped, you could just hitch up your skirt, show some 'gam' and hitchhike home.
What the heck is 'gam' anyway? Something from the old days, I guess.