Long distance Escape purchase - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #1

Trailer: none
Long distance Escape purchase

Can anyone comment on your experience with purchasing an Escape from the forum over a long distance? I live in Ontario and find most of the Escapes are in British Columbia or Alberta.
Roseyredrouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What's the question/s?
Old 10-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We live in NW Wisconsin and purchased our Escape from a party that lives in Bend Oregon
No major issues with making the transaction or transferring the title .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It's a comfort level situation. Some folks wouldn't dream of buying sight unseen. Personally I've bought a Scamp in Portland, a car in Portland and a boat in Greece without seeing them in person.

I wouldn't worry too much about buying an Escape long distance. You do have to exercise some extra vigilance though especially these days where some people are advertising other folks property for sale.

If the vendor is a forum member, especially if they've posted several times or done a mod or two then the confidence level would be higher.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 17 B ESCAPE
Sight unseen

Bought a 2004 17b sight unseen. Was not as described. But then again made a offer that made for the difference. Unfortunately , most escapes sell for asking price. Buyer beware
nomade do vento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade do vento View Post
Was not as described.

It was 16 years old .
Old 10-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If someone posts a trailer and there are multiple posts from folks who have seen the trailer or if they know the owners, you’ll often read something to the effect of “someone is going to get a real nice trailer” and those are pretty reassuring . There are some very fine folks in the Escape and Fiberglass community. We traveled 1700 miles one way to pick up our 19 as a used unit. It was advertised as in very good condition. It was perfect and served us well till we bought the 21 from the same owner as the 19. Another 1700 mile trip and another perfect trailer.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-10-2020, 07:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseyredrouge View Post
Can anyone comment on your experience with purchasing an Escape from the forum over a long distance? I live in Ontario and find most of the Escapes are in British Columbia or Alberta.
In October 2013 we responded to an ad on the forum for a 2011 Escape 19. We live in Ontario and the escape was in Vancouver. Pictures were posted on line, we spoke to the vendors by phone, and sent a deposit sight unseen. We were planning on storing the unit at Escape Trailer Industries( not sure they do that anymore) rather than risk winter weather driving to pick it up. We did some due diligence to convince ourselves that everything was as it should be, and sent the deposit. On receipt of the deposit the vendors offered to meet us in Winnepeg ( roughly half way)with the trailer, as they had family there and wanted one last trip with the Escape. We risked sending a deposit- they risked travelling many miles and us not showing up.
We met them in Winnepeg- very nice couple, they helped us with setting up the WDH hitch as we were new to the hitch, we concluded the transaction and were on our way. The trailer was as pictured and in excellent condition. There were two items that needed attention- both minor and very easy to address. We couldn't be more happy with our escape since that time.
We have met many Escape owners since that time and feel we are in good company!

Jim
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Two years ago we bought our 5.0TA sight unseen from a very nice couple in Spokane who were most gracious. I stayed overnight with them and they took me out for supper and plied me with scotch! Left next day with a great trailer and we've kept in contact with them. Of course it wasn't half way across the continent but still a good long trip home.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We bought our last trailer from a couple nearby. That’s not the story. They bought it sight unseen off an EBay listing. It gets better, the trailer was in Chicago, we live in southern Ontario. That’s in a different country. They bought it based on Escapes reputation for quality.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:29 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having sold 3 Escapes to forum members here, I was honest with any issues. But all were less than 3 years old so there were not many issues and still had the original Chilliwack propane. Last rally, there were 2 of mine in attendance.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I bought a 2017 21C from a great couple in Oregon. They sent photos, I sent $$. We drove to Oregon from Atlanta to pick it up. Had a great time on the return trip through CA. US 101 was great. No problems with registration of the Escape in GA. Good experience. Escapees are a helpful and honest group.
Rich30039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
I live in VT and posted a wanted ad on this forum. I received a message from a seller in Las Vegas. We talked both online and on the phone, he was a regular poster on the forum. He sent lots of pictures of anything I wanted. Granted the trailer was only a few years old. We settled on a price and I drove out a month later. The seller wanted reassurances that my money was good before I drove away. I had a bank tellers check but he was not feeling good about that. I finally convinced him to hold the title until the money cleared into his account. The title arrived at my house before I did...no problems and the seller was just protecting his asset. In hindsight I probably should have opened an account at his bank and just done a transfer when I was satisfied with the trailer. It all went very well.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I was given a bank check when I sold my trailer. When I brought it into the bank for deposit the teller asked if I knew the buyer well, which I didn't. I was told there have been a rash of fake bank checks of late and the check would take 10 days to clear. I think future buyer and sellers should find another way to xfer the $.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I was given a bank check when I sold my trailer. When I brought it into the bank for deposit the teller asked if I knew the buyer well, which I didn't. I was told there have been a rash of fake bank checks of late and the check would take 10 days to clear. I think future buyer and sellers should find another way to xfer the $.
We had the same problem with our buyer in Quebec. The credit union cheque had to be held by our bank as they'd had false cheques from that particular credit union. It did crate a problem with funds for pick up of our second new to us Escape but the seller's were very gracious in the workaround.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I had a bank tellers check but he was not feeling good about that. I finally convinced him to hold the title until the money cleared into his account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
That was the one problem that I've ever had. It was buying the car in Portland. We agreed that he wanted a bank draft so we got one. His bank could see that the money had been taken out of account. He asked if he could deposit the draft and take out the cash. His bank said no, that there would be some sort of a hold on the money for 3 days. He panicked, no way was he letting his car cross the border until he had cash in hand. So we drove back to Vancouver empty handed. Really wanted the car so I ended up getting cash, declaring it at the airport and flew to Portland. Drove the car back to the border.

So, yes, if doing any long distance buying be very sure that there's a clear understanding of what payment method is acceptable and be aware that a last minute problem could derail the purchase.

Ron
Old 10-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
So, yes, if doing any long distance buying be very sure that there's a clear understanding of what payment method is acceptable and be aware that a last minute problem could derail the purchase.

Ron
Especially if you're doing this cross border as there are more problems that could crop up as Ron and we have experienced.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #18

And the other part is that while it's easy to bring back cars, motorcycles and trailers across the border there is still one slightly unnerving aspect to it. You can drive up to the border with a trailer, go inside and pay your fees and head off home. You still have to take it and have it inspected for local motor vehicle requirements but that's a non-issue.

Cars and motorcycles however must sit in the US for, I think 72 hours, while the authorities scan their data bases to confirm that the vehicle isn't listed as stolen etc. Lucky for me my sister is only 10 minutes from the border so her driveway has been my waiting parking spot. However until you pull up, get the papers and drive away you're always wondering if something is going to turn up. It didn't help one time when the smart a.. started off the process with a frown and shaking his head. Just kidding he said.

Ron
Old 10-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I drove nearly 600 miles to pick up a 5.0 TA. Trailer was exactly as represented. I actually dealt with a friend of the owner. He accepted our bank check and we were on our way. Perfect
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote