N.C. registration challenges - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
Thumbs up N.C. registration challenges

So I went to the D.M.V. about ten minutes from my home and waited in line for my turn. When called to the counter the lady looked at my paper work and said this is above my pay grade. Went to the back office and talked with I assume was the branch manager and returned to tell me I had everything I needed except a local D.M.V. field inspector would have to verify the vin was properly affixed to the trailer. I then asked about the conversion from Canadian to U.S. dollars for the highway use tax aka sales tax. She said she did not know how to convert but the inspector would handle that. To sum it up I left feeling that branch was totally incompetent. I called Raleigh to the D.M.V. main office and spoke to a nice representative that told me all the information I was given was wrong. She apologized and suggested I try another branch. So I then drove to another branch about thirty minutes away waited in line and when called up a gentleman looked at my paperwork and started shaking his head. The representative beside him noticed he was a little overwhelmed and asked him what he had. He replied a Canadian registration, and she said lets switch customers.She worked right through it all other than she was not sure whether to use the order date or the current date to tabulate the tax. Called Raleigh and decided to use the order date since pickup date is in the future and no way to forecast the rate that day. Thankfully I left with a registered tt and a N.C. license plate. Success but really had to work for it.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Excellent, Brad! Your persistence paid off, and you have identified a good DMV office for future N.C. folks! You are getting close!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA as of June 28, 2018
DMV Office Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
So I went to the D.M.V. about ten minutes from my home and waited in line for my turn. When called to the counter the lady looked at my paper work and said this is above my pay grade. Went to the back office and talked with I assume was the branch manager and returned to tell me I had everything I needed except a local D.M.V. field inspector would have to verify the vin was properly affixed to the trailer. I then asked about the conversion from Canadian to U.S. dollars for the highway use tax aka sales tax. She said she did not know how to convert but the inspector would handle that. To sum it up I left feeling that branch was totally incompetent. I called Raleigh to the D.M.V. main office and spoke to a nice representative that told me all the information I was given was wrong. She apologized and suggested I try another branch. So I then drove to another branch about thirty minutes away waited in line and when called up a gentleman looked at my paperwork and started shaking his head. The representative beside him noticed he was a little overwhelmed and asked him what he had. He replied a Canadian registration, and she said lets switch customers.She worked right through it all other than she was not sure whether to use the order date or the current date to tabulate the tax. Called Raleigh and decided to use the order date since pickup date is in the future and no way to forecast the rate that day. Thankfully I left with a registered tt and a N.C. license plate. Success but really had to work for it.
Which DMV office did you go to that handled the problems for you? I'm in Raleigh and will take delivery of my 5.0 TA June 28 and will need to go through the same thing you did before heading off to BC to pick up, trailer. Me Tucker
Mel Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
The branch that was able to work through it was located in Durham at Northgate Mall. If you need to call Raleigh main office ask for Special Title Section. They can be reached at (919) 861-3500. The branches are all run by subcontractors for the state and some are not that helpful.
Good luck.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Tucker View Post
Which DMV office did you go to that handled the problems for you? I'm in Raleigh and will take delivery of my 5.0 TA June 28 and will need to go through the same thing you did before heading off to BC to pick up, trailer. Me Tucker
The Orange county office off Franklin St. can also help. I experienced no problems getting plates pre-pickup from them.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote