Nevada DMV requesting a Lien Search. Where Can I find One? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2023, 12:28 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 NE
Nevada DMV requesting a Lien Search. Where Can I find One?

I bought my escape in 2020 and honestly havent even tried registering it until now. It has had insurance since day 1 but I never realized it needed to be formally registered which I'm attempting to do now. The last thing the NV DMV is asking for is a lien search which they said can be found online for the province it was purchased in (presumably BC).

There are many sites which offer this service but I'm unsure which ones are legit. I dont care about saving a few bucks, but want to be sure I go to the right place. Can someone help?
Thanks!
L in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You bought the trailer new from the factory? IF so, go to a different DMV. ETI gave you everything you need to register/license the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:43 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
The usual practice is for any lien to be entered on the title. Did you get a title when you bought the trailer?
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You bought the trailer new from the factory? IF so, go to a different DMV. ETI gave you everything you need to register/license the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
The usual practice is for any lien to be entered on the title. Did you get a title when you bought the trailer?
You get a Bill of Sale and Certificate of Origin, etc from ETI upon purchase but not a "title" which is a document issued by a state (though not all states offer / require a "title" for all RV trailers). That's the process with the state that the OP is apparently just now undertaking.

I don't believe that any of the documents from ETI indicate if the purchaser paid with funds from a lender which placed an encumbrance / lien on the trailer because ETI simply requires payment in full to them. I know mine did not, the Bill of Sale simply shows total funds received by ETI with no balance due, ETI asked no questions about the source of my funds or any potential encumbrance / lien on the trailer.

When I titled and registered my trailer in Texas immediately after taking delivery, providing the clerk with all of the documents from ETI, the clerk asked if there was any lien to note on the title and simply accepted my verbal "no" confirming what was on my title application. The title application document I signed "attested" to the truth of that representation along with all others on the application, with promise of "penalty under law" if submitting a fraudulent application.

It seems Nevada seeks more formal confirmation of that lien-free status, for whatever reason? Only half in jest, perhaps because it's a state where folks not-uncommonly put such things up as collateral for gambling funds?

No suggestions for the OP, just wishing good luck and I'm sure it'll all work out
Old 02-09-2023, 01:48 PM   #5

Trailer: SOLD: 2005 17A; was waiting on a 2023 21C; found a 2017 21C - YAYAYAYAY!
In my line of work, I occasionally have to pull BC PPR searches - I have used Lien-Pro (https://www.lien-pro.com/product/bc-pprsearch-vin) - payment is done by credit card and they send the results to you via email. The form found on this link is pretty easy to complete.
mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 02:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by L in NV View Post
The last thing the NV DMV is asking for is a lien search which they said can be found online for the province it was purchased in (presumably BC).
The trailer was manufactured in British Columbia, but if you bought it new, direct from Escape Trailer Industries, it was sold to you in the U.S... not BC. It was never registered in BC and would not be known to the BC registry at all.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
You get a Bill of Sale and Certificate of Origin, etc from ETI upon purchase but not a "title" which is a document issued by a state (though not all states offer / require a "title" for all RV trailers). That's the process with the state that the OP is apparently just now undertaking.

I don't believe that any of the documents from ETI indicate if the purchaser paid with funds from a lender which placed an encumbrance / lien on the trailer because ETI simply requires payment in full to them. I know mine did not, the Bill of Sale simply shows total funds received by ETI with no balance due, ETI asked no questions about the source of my funds or any potential encumbrance / lien on the trailer.

When I titled and registered my trailer in Texas immediately after taking delivery, providing the clerk with all of the documents from ETI, the clerk asked if there was any lien to note on the title and simply accepted my verbal "no" confirming what was on my title application. The title application document I signed "attested" to the truth of that representation along with all others on the application, with promise of "penalty under law" if submitting a fraudulent application.

It seems Nevada seeks more formal confirmation of that lien-free status, for whatever reason? Only half in jest, perhaps because it's a state where folks not-uncommonly put such things up as collateral for gambling funds?

No suggestions for the OP, just wishing good luck and I'm sure it'll all work out
This describes my situation exactly. I never received an actual "title" but have the documents you described. The gentleman at the DMV couldnt have been nicer--and wasnt the stereotypical beurocratic govt employee. Unfortunately none of this solves my problem and I'm unsure what to do between now and my appointment in March

The trailer was paid in full in cash and delivered new from ETI.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlowther View Post
In my line of work, I occasionally have to pull BC PPR searches - I have used Lien-Pro (https://www.lien-pro.com/product/bc-pprsearch-vin) - payment is done by credit card and they send the results to you via email. The form found on this link is pretty easy to complete.
This is very helpful. I'm going to give this a shot and see what spits out!
Old 02-09-2023, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
What province would I choose from this dropdown?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-02-09 124959.jpg  
Old 02-09-2023, 03:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I have no knowledge of Nevada DMV. Here in New York if they will not do something Iwant.I try a different office or another day. as long as you have your import papers and corticate of origin.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Quote:
Chilliwack is in British Columbia province, Canada.
If you picked your trailer up in Sumas, that is Washington, USA.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Vogel View Post
Chilliwack is in British Columbia province, Canada.
If you picked your trailer up in Sumas, that is Washington, USA.
Right. The problem is I dont see BC in the dropdown!
Old 02-09-2023, 04:36 PM   #13

Trailer: SOLD: 2005 17A; was waiting on a 2023 21C; found a 2017 21C - YAYAYAYAY!
Ack!! Well, they have removed BC from their list! So sorry - it was a few months since I last used them.
A co-worker of mine has now told me to use PPSA.CA (PPSA.ca - lien searches, lien registrations, corporate searches in Canada) - and they are cheaper too! I just checked and they DO have BC.

You may just want to pull a UCC from Washington State, to be on the safe side when you go back to the DMV....
mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:39 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'd still go to a different DMV.

But since YOU live in Nevada wouldn't THAT be where DMV wants to know if there is a lien against the trailer... because YOU may have taken a loan out to buy it?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 01:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Ack!! Well, they have removed BC from their list! So sorry - it was a few months since I last used them.
A co-worker of mine has now told me to use PPSA.CA (PPSA.ca - lien searches, lien registrations, corporate searches in Canada) - and they are cheaper too! I just checked and they DO have BC.

You may just want to pull a UCC from Washington State, to be on the safe side when you go back to the DMV....
That site worked. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2023, 01:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd still go to a different DMV.

But since YOU live in Nevada wouldn't THAT be where DMV wants to know if there is a lien against the trailer... because YOU may have taken a loan out to buy it?
In a vacuum, sure. Think of the opportunity cost though. I can pay $20 and pull the lien search or I can go sit in another DMV farther from my house to maybe be told the same thing again. Its just not worth my time to do that.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Not one person who replied to this thread lives in NV and were faced with what L in NV is faced with. I was! I searched online for a lien search company. I got a lien search for BC. Took the search results to the DMV along with the paperwork from Escape. A VIN verification was also needed by the DMV. I had a Nevada State Trooper friend of mine completed the VIN paperwork. I deal with the Mesquite DMV office. They will now do the VIN verification if bring my trailer to them.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm a bit puzzled why folks are being made to jump through this hoop.

I could understand the request if it had been bought privately in BC. But it was exported by ETI and the paperwork and possession never took place in BC. There wouldn't by an opportunity to incur debt on the unit in BC. Strange and unfortunate for those that have to deal with it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #19

Quote:
That's bizarre... no British Columbia. It also has one province name wrong (since 2001 it has been "Newfoundland and Labrador", not just "Newfoundland"). It even has the provinces in geographic order (west to east) instead of alphabetic, which is okay but weird.

But as Ron explained, it doesn't matter, since there is no reason to do a lien search in B.C. for a trailer sold new by Escape Trailer Industries to a US resident customer.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
... I got a lien search for BC. Took the search results to the DMV along with the paperwork from Escape...
So what did the lien search say? Did it acknowledge that the trailer existed but has no liens, or did it just say "nothing found", because the trailer was never known to the BC registry system? A lien search of trailers in France would be about as relevant...