Paperwork needed to get a title in Ohio - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 escape 19
Paperwork needed to get a title in Ohio

Has anyone here purchased an Escape trailer and how did you get the title. My DMV has been closed for awhile and I went today with the paperwork Escape sent me hoping to get my title so I could get tags and insurance. They informed me that I needed the following:
1. foreign registration/title (this was supplied by Escape so I have this)
2. US custom entry form - I need to get this
3.enviromental protection agency form emission - I need to get this
4. UD DOT approval form safety - I need to get this?
5. DOT bond release form - I need to get this
Does anyone know how to get this information? Sharon is looking into it for me but she said I should check on here also as every state is different. Thanks in advance for any info.
Ed C.
ecombs2@cinci.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
When we got the title for our 2016 21' I'm pretty sure we only had to have the first two items. Try another DMV and see what they tell you, it seems you don't always get the same answer from every DMV.
grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #3

Thanks Grump. I have heard that they operate a little different. The DMV in my town has been closed due to Covid19 and it was suppose to open today but the state decided to close it permanently. I called the one they had the number for on the door and they sent me to another one. It has been a mess so far.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
Might help if you can wait a couple of weeks and let the backlog work it's way through so the clerks have more time to spend with the customer. The DMV here is a small one and the clerks were very helpful.
grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:11 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Once you take possession or delivery of your Escape, all the applicable title and registration papers are in an envelope as well as Customs paperwork. Some states also may require physical inspection beforehand so obtaining tags ahead is a problem. That said no one TTBOMK has ever been stopped nor detained driving a new Escape home from Canada since the paperwork should be adequate. Some states you can transfer your old tags so take them, put them on the trailer and then transfer once back home. This worked for me.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
It is correct that some DMV offices no matter what State you are in are not up to snuff with the actual rules and regulations. Rather than simply trying another DMV office, I would recommend calling the Ohio Motor Vehicle Division (probably in Columbus) and ask someone there. That is where you will likely get the best info.

When I registered my Escape in Florida (before picking it up), the clerk I initially spoke with at the local office was somewhat clueless. I explained that I needed a tag for the long trip from BC, and that I needed to register the trailer with the documents sent me by ETI and to apply for a title. She said OK and then asked me for the title! I told her the title is issued by the State and I pointed out that I had just told her I needed to apply for the title. Realizing the futility of repeating myself several times, I finally asked her to get her supervisor involved. Her supervisor contradicted most of what she had told me, and walked her through the registration and title process. But I did walk out with a tag for the trailer and the paperwork that confirmed I had applied for a title.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Very true, I have found when dealing with bureaucracy, knowledge is power. Most states DMW rules and regulations can be found on line and once reviewed you are in a better position to know when something is not right or correct.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
When we bought our trailer I obtained a 45 day tag to drive the trailer home with the initial paperwork escape sent me. Then at the dmv I presented the bill of sale plus the import certificate. With that paper work and payment of state taxes I was issued a title
This was in Portage County. They will not issue a title until that import certificate is presented. Hope that helps.
oldwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #9

Thanks for the info.
Ed C.

Tags
tags, title