Paying for trailer from the US - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #81

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think a certified cheque would require declaration.
Blank cheques and credit cards would not.
But, since there is no penalty for declaring and there is a penalty for not declaring, I'd declare everything, even my air miles.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #82

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
They don’t have to be declared as long as it’s made out to ETI that’s what we were told at the border crossing in Suma
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #83

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
They don’t have to be declared as long as it’s made out to ETI that’s what we were told at the border crossing in Suma

Old 10-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #84

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Wire transfer done- keeping hope alive

US resident and I Just sent in the paperwork for a $CDN wire transfer to ETI for progress payment on our 21. Keeping hope alive that all will go without a hitch. I found when filling out the Wire Request form that my broker needed an IRC code which was not provided on the email instructions from ETI. Called Lisa in accounting and got the IRC code: 00482509. Hopefully the funds will actually land at the right bank in Edmonton, credited to ETI. If ths works, it will have been very simple and inespensive.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #85

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
US resident and I Just sent in the paperwork for a $CDN wire transfer to ETI for progress payment on our 21. Keeping hope alive that all will go without a hitch. I found when filling out the Wire Request form that my broker needed an IRC code which was not provided on the email instructions from ETI. Called Lisa in accounting and got the IRC code: 00482509. Hopefully the funds will actually land at the right bank in Edmonton, credited to ETI. If ths works, it will have been very simple and inespensive.
Just out of curiosity, were you given a guaranteed exchange rate for the transfer?
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #86

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I am having nothing but issues in trying to pay for my trailer using Transferwise and am hoping someone can shed some light. My bank is Wells Fargo and Transferwise provided all of their Wells Fargo info and the ultimate recipient of the funds is Escape (who provided all necessary info). I initiated my transfer using Transferwise and the last step is the transfer within Wells Fargo. The only options are Zelle (to transfer to private individuals) and bill pay. The options under the 'Transfer' tab let you transfer between your own accounts or a non-Wells Fargo account. I even went into the Wells Fargo branch and they insisted there were no other options. Can anyone with a Wells Fargo account please let me know how you successfully used Transferwise? Thanks much!
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #87

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I am having nothing but issues in trying to pay for my trailer using Transferwise and am hoping someone can shed some light. My bank is Wells Fargo and Transferwise provided all of their Wells Fargo info and the ultimate recipient of the funds is Escape (who provided all necessary info). I initiated my transfer using Transferwise and the last step is the transfer within Wells Fargo. The only options are Zelle (to transfer to private individuals) and bill pay. The options under the 'Transfer' tab let you transfer between your own accounts or a non-Wells Fargo account. I even went into the Wells Fargo branch and they insisted there were no other options. Can anyone with a Wells Fargo account please let me know how you successfully used Transferwise? Thanks much!
This process worked perfectly for me - but I think I can help you. First -- doing all the first steps in Transferwise and then taking the document THAT DAY to your bank is the right thing to do. Then your bank does a simple transfer. Here is the hitch for you. The only bank in the US that is allowed to do international transfers is Wells Fargo and they make a lot of money doing it. So you are asking them to do something they may not want to do. Transferwise saved us around $900 by doing it this way. My credit union was happy to do the simple transfer for us and that step only cost $25. You will have to do an update on your transfer with transfer wise to get a current exchange rate and then you ask Wells Fargo to follow the instructions on the sheet - however they can do that as they are actually the bank who takes the money!! Talk to a manager!! They need to work with Transferwise! I feel for you. We wished we had had time to send a check to Escape and make it easy, but our point of finishing our order and picking up our trailer didn't allow for this. GOOD LUCK.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #88

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
This process worked perfectly for me - but I think I can help you. First -- doing all the first steps in Transferwise and then taking the document THAT DAY to your bank is the right thing to do. Then your bank does a simple transfer. Here is the hitch for you. The only bank in the US that is allowed to do international transfers is Wells Fargo and they make a lot of money doing it. So you are asking them to do something they may not want to do. Transferwise saved us around $900 by doing it this way. My credit union was happy to do the simple transfer for us and that step only cost $25. You will have to do an update on your transfer with transfer wise to get a current exchange rate and then you ask Wells Fargo to follow the instructions on the sheet - however they can do that as they are actually the bank who takes the money!! Talk to a manager!! They need to work with Transferwise! I feel for you. We wished we had had time to send a check to Escape and make it easy, but our point of finishing our order and picking up our trailer didn't allow for this. GOOD LUCK.
WAIT -- TRANSFERWISE HAS ENCOUNTERED THIS ISSUE WITH Wells Fargo -- see this: https://transferwise.com/us/blog/how...ey-wells-fargo
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Wire Transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
Just completed my transfer to ETI using Wells Fargo to make a wire transfer. Well, truth be told, I made two wire transfers - the first in the amount of $200 and a second for the balance.

The reason for the first transfer was to "prove the system". I worked too golly dang (sorry for the profanity!) hard to earn that money, and I didn't want to wake up the next day and learn my financial electrons went rogue and now manifested themselves in the form of a new Hummer for someone on the other side of the planet. That piece of mind test cost me $35.

The second wire transfer - another $35 but both went smooth.

I have, at my own expense, proven this new fangled 'wire transfer' actually works - you're welcome. Sleep easy world.

Jim
Thanks, Jim, I'm going the wire transfer route and just sent this to Melisa:

• How to get funds to ETI? The easiest way for me is to send wire transfers. To do so it looks like I need the SWIFT/BIC code, your bank name, account number, address of account number which I assume is the one below your signature. I’m sure you have done this before, so please include anything I have omitted. It would seem that your telephone number should be included but I don’t see it on the form. Once I have this info, I’ll send $100 Canadian to verify the process.
I think there is no charge with Charles Schwab. I was charged $25.00 4 years ago to buy a motorcycle but that was in an office and perhaps that's the reason for the charge.

The exchange rate in the last hour or so has been .7506 to .7409, so in theory I should be able to transfer $75.00 American to ETI and have my ETI account credited with very close to $100.00 Canadian.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #90

Not so fast!

Not as easy as I expected. Once I entered the Swift code, a Schwab $25.00 wire transaction fee appeared. Also a pop-up stating "foreign currency wires cannot be done online".

I'll try TransferWise next. Like many of you I want to know the exchange rate and fees when the transfer is initiated.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 04-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #91

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
Not as easy as I expected. Once I entered the Swift code, a Schwab $25.00 wire transaction fee appeared. Also a pop-up stating "foreign currency wires cannot be done online".

I'll try TransferWise next. Like many of you I want to know the exchange rate and fees when the transfer is initiated.
I have been using XE transfer with great success. https://www.xe.com/xemoneytransfer/us/

Once you set up an XE account, set up my bank info, set up the recipient, (use the bank info ETI sends in their packet for receiving Canadian funds.) it all is very easy. It takes a few days for XE to validate everything and to ensure you are not on some watch list for money laundering, etc. But once it is all set up, I can make the transfers right from my phone.

There are no fees, I know the exchange rate for that transaction, and about a week later, I get a trade confirmation email that I forward to ETI accounting asking them to validate they received the money on their end. (Note: the exchange rate one sees online is the preferred rate for banks, not the rate consumers get. It will generally be a few hundredths of a cent lower for us common folks.)

I’ve been sending money in $9,000 chunks over time whenever the rate is most favorable to cost-average the fluctuations in the rate. Worked out pretty well so far.

Edit: I almost forgot the best feature! You can set up a limit order where you define the exchange rate for the transaction. Then if the rate hits that mark, it will automatically go through.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #92

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
Make certain you check their exchange rate before you do this. Wells Fargo and many of the other big banks DO NOT give the going rate as posted on the monetary exchange sites. The difference can mean 1-2 thousand dollars difference when paying the balance on a 21'. One of the best rates I found was just sending ETI a certified check: 1.30 Canadian for 1.00 American. No processing fee and $17.00 to send registered mail.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I have been using XE transfer with great success. https://www.xe.com/xemoneytransfer/us/

Once you set up an XE account, set up my bank info, set up the recipient, (use the bank info ETI sends in their packet for receiving Canadian funds.) it all is very easy. It takes a few days for XE to validate everything and to ensure you are not on some watch list for money laundering, etc. But once it is all set up, I can make the transfers right from my phone.

There are no fees, I know the exchange rate for that transaction, and about a week later, I get a trade confirmation email that I forward to ETI accounting asking them to validate they received the money on their end. (Note: the exchange rate one sees online is the preferred rate for banks, not the rate consumers get. It will generally be a few hundredths of a cent lower for us common folks.)

I’ve been sending money in $9,000 chunks over time whenever the rate is most favorable to cost-average the fluctuations in the rate. Worked out pretty well so far.

Edit: I almost forgot the best feature! You can set up a limit order where you define the exchange rate for the transaction. Then if the rate hits that mark, it will automatically go through.
Thanks Arnie and Paula,

I got stopped when TransferWise asked for a 3 digit Institution Number to continue, and will ask Escape Accounting for that number.

I'll also open an account with XE.COM and just noticed I've been using their currency calculator daily for the last 2 weeks to see my USD amount versus the CAD on my build sheet.

Are you sending funds TD Canada Trust in Edmonton, AB which is the bank for the SWIFT wire transfers? Or perhaps directly to ETI's bank?

I've got 4 months and like the idea of dollar cost averaging as rates fluctuate.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #94

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
Make certain you check their exchange rate before you do this. Wells Fargo and many of the other big banks DO NOT give the going rate as posted on the monetary exchange sites. The difference can mean 1-2 thousand dollars difference when paying the balance on a 21'. One of the best rates I found was just sending ETI a certified check: 1.30 Canadian for 1.00 American. No processing fee and $17.00 to send registered mail.
That's exactly what we did with all of our big payments.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #95

Trailer: 2018: Escape 17-A
I used TransferWise to pay in 2 installment in late-2018. Great rates, easy. I highly recommend TransferWise.
cotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #96

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
Thanks Arnie and Paula,

I got stopped when TransferWise asked for a 3 digit Institution Number to continue, and will ask Escape Accounting for that number.

I'll also open an account with XE.COM and just noticed I've been using their currency calculator daily for the last 2 weeks to see my USD amount versus the CAD on my build sheet.

Are you sending funds TD Canada Trust in Edmonton, AB which is the bank for the SWIFT wire transfers? Or perhaps directly to ETI's bank?

I've got 4 months and like the idea of dollar cost averaging as rates fluctuate.

TD Canada Trust in Edmonton Is where we send the funds. Good luck!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #97

Trailer: Escape 17B
" One of the best rates I found was just sending ETI a certified check"
Found the same thing here smitty
escape17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #98

Trailer: None yet
Has anyone paid the full amount for their Escape upfront? The exchange rate is so good now but, will it be when the future payments would normally be due?
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #99

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Has anyone paid the full amount for their Escape upfront? The exchange rate is so good now but, will it be when the future payments would normally be due?

We are about to do just that; we want to try and capture a better exchange rate.
LIJ Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #100

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is a gamble, I have always sent in a sizable payment after selling my old Escape and rolling it over into the new one. The rate can fluctuate daily and I have paid anywhere from 95% to 75% over 7 years of ownership, but if one knew the future, life would not be as exciting now, would it? I can say this much the base prices have increased as the differential has increased and vice versa.