Pricing: USA and Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
Pricing: USA and Canada

We have upgraded through the years from a 17 foot, to a 19 foot Escape, and are now looking at the new 21 foot NE. A great product! We live in the USA. I found out that Escape now has separate pricing for Canada and USA. (They may have done that a couple of years ago). Any opinions? We preferred one price for all and to let the going exchange rate determine our USA costs.
dcarlsonpastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Read this... https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nts-17452.html
Old 05-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlsonpastor View Post
We have upgraded through the years from a 17 foot, to a 19 foot Escape, and are now looking at the new 21 foot NE. A great product! We live in the USA. I found out that Escape now has separate pricing for Canada and USA. (They may have done that a couple of years ago). Any opinions? We preferred one price for all and to let the going exchange rate determine our USA costs.
Hi,
Nothing really has changed unless you are one of the minority of US buyers who do the research and take the initiative to pay in CAD using one of the currency exchange services such as transferwise and realize thousands in savings. The savings result from escaping Escapes policy of using a static exchange rate of .81 while the true rate is now .71. This is what I planned on doing when I put my deposit down but then the rules changed. Of course there is legal mumbo jumbo saying they have the right to change the price/cost/procedure any time.
Hope this helps!
J
ucancallmejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Either way it is a great trailer at the price shown........
Old 05-07-2020, 07:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucancallmejay View Post
Hi,
Nothing really has changed unless you are one of the minority of US buyers who do the research and take the initiative to pay in CAD using one of the currency exchange services such as transferwise and realize thousands in savings. The savings result from escaping Escapes policy of using a static exchange rate of .81 while the true rate is now .71. This is what I planned on doing when I put my deposit down but then the rules changed. Of course there is legal mumbo jumbo saying they have the right to change the price/cost/procedure any time.
Hope this helps!
J
I don't think that is really true at all.

When we paid for ours, we always sent US currency checks, and the exchange rate that we got was based upon the exchange rate that ETI got from their bank on the day that our check was deposited.

I don't remember the exact exchange rate that we got for each check, but it was definitely better than what ETI is offering now for US customers.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #6

We are debating the difference between 80 cents on the dollar and 71 cents on the dollar, maybe $2500 on a typical model. What happens when it goes to 90 cents or even 1.05? At the same time Escape is purchasing in US dollars almost 75% of the parts that are installed in the Escape from the US. It can not continue that way for anyone to stay in the business. I estimate 75% of customers are US. Would we be discussing this if Escape just raised their price for US customers only? BTW Escape has discounted their delivery by almost 50% compared to what I paid in the past. That eliminates any differential in exchange pricing for those having delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 8.20.03 AM.jpg  
Old 05-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Looking for 15b
As GregandTeresa said the payment process for US buyers has totally changed and was never this way until a few months ago. Previously everyone paid the same in Canadian dollars and whatever the exchange rate was on the day their money arrived was the one used.

I am unsure why an select few on the forum keep telling new buyers that a difference of a few thousand dollars for US buyers is not a big deal, that they are not being treated differently and to just go ahead. For some people that is a big deal (it may be the difference between whether they buy or not) and US customers do in fact have a different set price than Canadians which is not directly linked to the daily exchange rate.

It will be interesting to see but I would be fairly sure if the exchange rate eventually goes in the opposite direction that the prices will be revised and US buyers will still not be getting a deal.

People can keep trying to say ‘black is white’ but that doesn’t make it so.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
$2500 is a big deal for me, and if I were buying new right now, it could definitely stop me from pulling the trigger.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
$2500 is a big deal for me, and if I were buying new right now, it could definitely stop me from pulling the trigger.
Even if you saved $2000 off delivery? Right now only delivery of Escapes may happen in Sumas, Wa or delivery to your home.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yeah, however how many people were paying $4500 to begin with? Very few, if any I would think.

Had a friend go up last December fully intending to buy a 21 NE. Met with Karl, liked the amount of time he spent with him, yet when adding up all the costs he was approaching $40K U.S. Got home, talked it over with his wife and ended up buying a year old stickie a neighbor was selling and paid $13K for a 25' Keystone 234.

So while nice- those with F150's like my friend owns have many other choices.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #11

I had to pay to have 2 deliveries back in 2012 and 2014 while being a caregiver for my mom. It was expensive but my free time was limited back then. The differential was closer to .90 on the dollar.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yeah, however how many people were paying $4500 to begin with? Very few, if any I would think.

Had a friend go up last December fully intending to buy a 21 NE. Met with Karl, liked the amount of time he spent with him, yet when adding up all the costs he was approaching $40K U.S. Got home, talked it over with his wife and ended up buying a year old stickie a neighbor was selling and paid $13K for a 21' Keystone 234.

So while nice- those with F150's like my friend owns have many other choices.
And in 5 years when that stickie is leaking he will wish he had an Escape. You get what you pay for, quality.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I don't disagree, yet we're both biased due to owning an Escape. From his perspective he paid $25K less; his sales tax was about $2K less on top of that, and his registration and insurance each year will be less. It adds up and the truth is most people buy stickies. Escape would be wise IMO to be careful to not stray too far from the model that made them so popular: easy to work with and consistent policies for all buyers. There were price increases(and rarely a decrease), yet nothing too controversial.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Escape would be wise IMO to be careful to not stray too far from the model that made them so popular: easy to work with and consistent policies for all buyers. There were price increases(and rarely a decrease), yet nothing too controversial.
I work for a manufacturing company about the size of Escape. When Dad (founder) handed off to Son, Son pursued a strategy to grow significantly, which worked when he landed an enormous contract. All types of changes ensued, many good, a few not so good. I see a bit of the same here.

That said, I know small businesses do respond to customers - they absolutely have to because usually their only advantage over bigger firms is to offer more personalized service and the ability to adapt more quickly. I think everyone who is following this topic should contact Escape directly and express their views, no matter what they are. I'm sure Escape is interested, because this topic has generated heat in their customer base, and has the potential to become a large problem. It also gives Escape an excellent chance to again show they can act quickly and decisively to their customer's concerns.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Decisions, decisions.

Hi: All... Opening up this issue again only points out the fact that everyone has someone to answer to!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
I'm going to purchase a Rogue power rack which is manufactured and shipped from the US. It's costing me $1873 here in Canada. The same rack is advertised $1200 in the US. It should be $1677.46 here in Canada with the exchange rate. That's an 11% increase over the exchange rate. I'll also have to pay 250ish shipping on top of that, which would be free to any state.

I really like Rogue because of their high quality. I have the option to not buy from them and move on to another company, but to me the quality is worth it. They get around it by developing a Canadian based site, but make no mistake, it's shipping across the border. Their prices are set, I can buy or not. I chose to buy, because to me, it's worth it.

This is not an Escape specific problem. There are many companies on both site of the border doing this. Does it make it right? maybe, maybe not, but there are probably many reasons that no one here is aware of why they are going this route. I just hope they can whether this storm and come out on top, on the other side of this pandemic.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #17

Trailer: na
Thread Closed. oops. not yet... ;>)
ucancallmejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #18

You might need another post or 2 to close a thread. But I’d be good with it.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucancallmejay View Post
Hi,

Hope this helps!

J
"Nothing really has changed" isn't so. Under the new policy, US buyers cannot pay in CAD, which makes the currency exchanges irrelevant. If you're in the US, you pay the USD price, period. Under the old policy, if you sent a check in USD, it was converted to CAD on deposit at the current rate minus the standard bank exchange commissions.

Part of the reason this thread keeps reviving is because of the need to correct misinformation. Ask Escape. US buyers pay a fixed price in USD. It's published on the website. Because of the current exchange rate, US buyers pay thousands more than they would have using CAD pricing. That is a significant change, not a minor one.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
"Nothing really has changed" isn't so. Under the new policy, US buyers cannot pay in CAD, which makes the currency exchanges irrelevant. If you're in the US, you pay the USD price, period. Under the old policy, if you sent a check in USD, it was converted to CAD on deposit at the current rate minus the standard bank exchange commissions.

Part of the reason this thread keeps reviving is because of the need to correct misinformation. Ask Escape. US buyers pay a fixed price in USD. It's published on the website. Because of the current exchange rate, US buyers pay thousands more than they would have using CAD pricing. That is a significant change, not a minor one.
Companies on both sides of the border do this. Escape’s not the only ones.

Tags
new escapes pricing