Progressive Insurance - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Bad credit is about behavior and is used to determine risk: https://www.esurance.com/info/car/my...insurance-rate

As my Dad explained it to me many years ago, credit is about a promise to repay, it's my integrity. No one can take it, I have to give it away. Why shouldn't I get lower premium rates, than someone who has horrible credit?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can say that AARP asked me questions I have never been asked about my vehicles, are they in a garage, is the rv kept in your yard or in a public storage? All of these indicate a secure storage will allow lower premiums. A driver improvement course is taken every 5 years, another reduction, are you on public water or well, public water allows better fire fighting, distance from fire and police, we have routine police patrols. Is your alarm monitored or not.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bad credit is about behavior and is used to determine risk: https://www.esurance.com/info/car/my...insurance-rate
Not in every situation. Seniors are routinely having issues meeting medical bills, particularly those without insurance. Each chemo session costs $30,000 and there are 10 sessions, insurance only covers a portion that. If anyone is familiar with "chemobrain" they know credit can suffer. again, there needs to be a correlation between claims and credit, not just bad credit scores. And the need to explain should not exist if no claims.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #24
Site Team

There are anomalies for every situation. Claims are about past behavior. Insurance premuims are about future risk. That's why we pay premiums for the future. Not what we've already used.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Hey Donna not to start an argument but my first wife of 31 yrs ( she’s gone to heaven ) worked insurance all of her working days for State Farm and they do use your credit score when determining your rate which I agree with Jim. It should have nothing to do with determining ones rate. Many an argument over this with her about them using it on rates total horse hockey. Please don’t shoot the messager lol ��
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not in every situation. Seniors are routinely having issues meeting medical bills, particularly those without insurance. Each chemo session costs $30,000 and there are 10 sessions, insurance only covers a portion that. If anyone is familiar with "chemobrain" they know credit can suffer. again, there needs to be a correlation between claims and credit, not just bad credit scores. And the need to explain should not exist if no claims.
While catastrophic medical bills can affect credit, in a sense it's still about behavior/judgement. For example, my uncle Mike recently had a kidney transplant after waiting on the recipient list for over 5 years, dialysis 3 days a week. His medical costs for the whole routine over the last several months were almost 2 million dollars. BUT, he saw fit some time back to obtain supplemental insurance, and almost all of that 2 million was covered.

One point is well made though: insurance decisions based on credit are based on large pools of people, not individual case by case decisions. So in that sense I agree that it can sometimes be unfair. But there's not an actuarial table around that takes into account every factor. It's just stats.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #27

The med companies make a fortune off chemo. My wifehad twice a week chemo right up until she passed. A year and a half ( her choice ) to keep the tumors from growing so she could go and see all the places she wanted to see and she did see them all. My insurance then Medicare paid for all
Old 02-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Hey Donna not to start an argument but my first wife of 31 yrs ( she’s gone to heaven ) worked insurance all of her working days for State Farm and they do use your credit score when determining your rate which I agree with Jim. It should have nothing to do with determining ones rate. Many an argument over this with her about them using it on rates total horse hockey. Please don’t shoot the messager lol ��
Of course not, we can have a difference of opinion without anger, truthfully.

I'm not talking about anyone here.... but, too often I've heard this same argument about credit scores and insurance premiums from people with horrible credit. I consider my good credit a reward. Lower interest rates, insurance premiums, etc. I remember a hot discussion with my mother about age and insurance premiums. She had never filled a claim in her long driving life, but she paid high rates due to her age... but, age was her reality. I guess we can pick and choose the things that tick us off
Old 02-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #29

True forgot about the age thing too they’ll use anything to squeeze a buck outta us
Old 02-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Many an argument over this with her about them using it on rates total horse hockey.

Not sure how you arguing with your wife supports your position on how rates are arrived at.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #31

According to the Esurance website they rely upon a 2003 U of Texas study for their accident rates.Certainly not current. I have a neighbor who had not filed a claim in 20 years but was cancelled because he was long overdue for an accident.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #32

Quote:
I have a neighbor who had not filed a claim in 20 years but was cancelled because he was long overdue for an accident.

Did he have an argument with his wife?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I have a neighbor who had not filed a claim in 20 years but was cancelled because he was long overdue for an accident.
That's completely nonsensical. I don't mean that it's unfair to cancel people for this reason, I mean that I don't believe that it happens, because it makes no sense statistically. This is the same as a person expecting their next lottery ticket to win the jackpot because the previous thousand tickets that they bought didn't win anything - the first class of the first course anyone takes on probability and statistics will explain that's nonsense. I wonder why this person's coverage was actually cancelled, but we'll never know.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #34

Well, he's not likely to volunteer that he just go his third DUI.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #35

Trailer: No RV
Reading the state by state rate, finally an economical reason to live in Maine�� other then cheap lobster prices
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #36

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
sticker shock for binding insurance today... For some reason ,I was thinking it was going to be around $400 or so. It ended up being $888 for a year with Progressive. My auto insurance carrier (AAA) doesn't insure 5th wheels... I have excellent credit and got a safe driver discount.. Insured for $42400. Does that seem excessive or is this the going rate?
Old 03-07-2022, 01:09 PM   #37

Trailer: 21
That’s what we pay atm from progressive on our 21
Old 03-07-2022, 04:24 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
sticker shock for binding insurance today... For some reason ,I was thinking it was going to be around $400 or so. It ended up being $888 for a year with Progressive. My auto insurance carrier (AAA) doesn't insure 5th wheels... I have excellent credit and got a safe driver discount.. Insured for $42400. Does that seem excessive or is this the going rate?
Lats time I insured a 21 c with progressive it was 350. That was before the covid gouging began in earnest
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #39

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Lats time I insured a 21 c with progressive it was 350. That was before the covid gouging began in earnest
Was that with 100 % replacement cost even when parked in storage.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Was that with 100 % replacement cost even when parked in storage.
I don't know, I haven't perused the policy yet. They did ask me where it will be stored. I will have it at my house