Sales Tax - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2022, 08:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I don't have a problem paying sales and excise taxes to my state government to license and register my trailer. I knew it going in on this purchase.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Escape is asking for documentation of purchaser payment of sales tax. Their caveat for that request is that it seems silly to have to ask for that information as US purchasers have to pay sales tax in order to register their trailer in their home state.

What would be even sillier is for anyone who bought an Escape trailer and who registered it in a non resident state with low or no sales tax and a small ministerial license fee to actually send that documentation to ETI.

From my perspective, ETI is being asked to play a part in a round up of US folks who might have avoided home state taxes/fees. Perhaps this “odd” request from ETI is being made under threat of curtailing sales to US states if they do not comply.

To quote a tax consultant, “If you live in a state with a sales tax, it’s against the law to avoid paying sales or use tax on taxable goods that will be consumed, used, or stored in your home state. And yes, that generally includes RVs that will spend much of their time on the road and parked in campgrounds in other states.”

Minnesota has a law that calls for prison time for such illegal tax avoidance.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
I don't have a problem paying sales and excise taxes to my state government to license and register my trailer. I knew it going in on this purchase.
Amen, Amen (One Amen is too few characters).
Old 03-12-2022, 08:57 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Red face

I’m close to the Illinois state line, sales tax but no personal property tax on vehicles there, now realestate that’s another story, a complete beat down. Then here in Missouri there’s a sales tax along with every year you are taxed on your vehicles, trailers, just for owning them. Seems the tax vamps always get you in the end.
The city outside of STL I live in is failing, U-Hauls are lined up every weekend. Even with a 9.99 total sales tax it’s always on the verge of bankruptcy.

There is a fire district that has a stranglehold on the city, a bad contract from years ago during an annexation. Services to the citizens are always being cut to provide pay and retirement benefits to the firefighters union that a doctor would envy, and free heathcare even a Canadian would rather have. It gets so mean during voting time they will intimidate any older people that may want to stand up against the pay deal, the implication is when YOU are in need of emergency services they wont be in much of a hurry. Show up for a meeting and it’s like you’re in a sopranos episode. Then there’s the firefighters image they work the hell out of, why not, many people don’t seem to be very good at math nowadays and unable to separate emotions from reality.
The city employees and teachers are no better, they along with the firefighters have most all caught that ride outta dodge on a U-Haul when they get off work.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
I responded to the survey from ETI but don’t really follow what they are trying to do. I am not going to watch a YouTube video that’s not applicable to us to spend more time on it. We paid the sales tax on the camper (about $3000, I think) when we got the tags for it. I don’t know how one would get around that or what would ETI do to change that process.

The issue for us were the temporarily tags to drive the camper from Sumas to Utah on a circuitous path. Our state would have given us the tags on the basis for the paperwork had ETI cooperated in completing a standard state form requiring the dealer or substitute to certify the VIN number for the camper that ETI was selling us. Previous management at ETI had provided such a form for earlier buyers. But, ETI was decidedly uncooperative and we had to patch together a set of temporary tags from WA and OR. That was unpleasant and unnecessary.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:52 AM   #26

Trailer: 19 - 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Our state would have given us the tags on the basis for the paperwork had ETI cooperated in completing a standard state form requiring the dealer or substitute to certify the VIN number for the camper that ETI was selling us
I live in MN but we picked up our trailer in SD. It cost us $50 to get it FedEx'd to us, but we had the original Certificate of Origin before we went to pick it up and that allowed us to also get our plates, before we even picked up trailer. The only hassle was being out $50 for the getting the C of O sent overnight and a trip to the DMV where I was told a copy of the C of O wasn't good enough. Hence the need to spend the money to get the originals sent via FedEx.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #27

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
We’ve been getting photos of our 5.0 from ETI, but didn’t get any notice about payment or taxes on the payment.

We pick it up in just over a month, what should I expect regarding payment if we are picking it up in Sumas next month?
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
We’ve been getting photos of our 5.0 from ETI, but didn’t get any notice about payment or taxes on the payment.

We pick it up in just over a month, what should I expect regarding payment if we are picking it up in Sumas next month?
I would be surprised if ETI will have a process for collecting sales tax sorted out before you pick up, but a phone call to them might be a good idea.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:22 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If it was not on your final build sheet, nothing more is needed at Sumas
Old 03-12-2022, 10:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Escape is still figuring that out, and you'll need to work with them on that. I imagine it could go as far as varying from state to state. Here's the video they sent out, and they mention future sales near the end (which they say they don't know).

https://youtu.be/uy9L_3jw9uA
Old 03-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanerickson View Post
I live in MN but we picked up our trailer in SD. It cost us $50 to get it FedEx'd to us, but we had the original Certificate of Origin before we went to pick it up and that allowed us to also get our plates, before we even picked up trailer. The only hassle was being out $50 for the getting the C of O sent overnight and a trip to the DMV where I was told a copy of the C of O wasn't good enough. Hence the need to spend the money to get the originals sent via FedEx.
Our issue was not FedEx or $50 but ETI’s unwillingness in signing the UT State VIN certification form. They got overly legalistic and refused to sign it. Out-of-state dealers can sign it and the State DMV told us that ETI in Canada could but ETI did not agree (it’s a manufacturer and not a dealer or some such thing). I never quite understood their rationale but not much one could do about the refusal. We spent considerably more than $50 to obtain multiple temporary tags to cover our travel.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #32

Quote:

You will be contacted and will need to wire (or use other methods) to pay for the camper.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #33

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:

I didn’t care for the wiring service they provided and it doesn’t really save you any money, so I did the fed x. Also, one time I purchased a house wiring the money and it somehow allowed my account to be hacked, and that was bank to title company. Now I keep a separate bank account just for money transfers, many have used their wiring setup and have been fine with it. I didn’t care for it, probably just things being different than I’m used to Canada.

I picked up in Kansas, didn’t plate my camper till I returned. For the most part the police in some of the Midwest states are very decent and easy to deal with on these issues. One would only have to show them your proof of recent purchase and explain you just picked it up, all would be good.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:00 AM   #34

Quote:
You will be contacted and will need to wire (or use other methods) to pay for the camper.
That’s what I was expecting, I just thought it would have occurred already.

Thanks for all the answers everyone! Hope to see some of you at the NOG campout in April
Old 03-12-2022, 11:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If it was not on your final build sheet, nothing more is needed at Sumas
So, I looked at our build sheet and it reads that the balance becomes due and payable after the completion date. Did you (or others, I just know you’ve done it a few times ) take care of payment in advance or do you bring a cashiers check?

I have never wired or mailed $40k+ to a company out of the country before, I’d like to feel more secure about the payment.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Our issue was not FedEx or $50 but ETI’s unwillingness in signing the UT State VIN certification form.
Got it. We tried to do a temporary but state of MN was a no go on that, and they would only do that if you were a registered dealer.

Delivery was definitely our most disappointing part of the process also. Basically once they got their final payment, the rest was your problem (pick up and registration).
Old 03-12-2022, 11:41 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I paid my $2000 deposit via cc and sent a check last month for $33,000. My balance is $4400 which I will send another check April 1. Our completion is May 2.....I will have to pay my 6% sales tax once I return to Pennsylvania and transfer my tags from the 2019 Escape to the new Escape.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #38

Quote:
Did you (or others, I just know you’ve done it a few times ) take care of payment in advance or do you bring a cashiers check?

I have never wired or mailed $40k+ to a company out of the country before, I’d like to feel more secure about the payment.
I don't believe bringing a cashiers check is an option. Looking back through my correspondence it needs to be paid in full and given time to clear, before it's even going on the truck for delivery.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:19 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I just sent via Ups or fedex s certified check to pay for the trailer. It cost around $45.

I’ve never worried about temp tags. When I can, and am at home, I go get tags and pay taxes.

I’m travelling, so responded to ETI that I paid sales tax, but sent no documentation.
brroberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
It’s funny how things change.
I called Tammy when we got the 21 and asked if they would install solar for me,”You betcha”.
And when I picked it up later on the agreed day “we replaced your seal on the front box, checked the rivets on the belly band and replaced three, drilled some tiny holes for drainage in your back window frame , all no charge. Here’s how your solar works.”
Now it’s “we don’t do retrofits anymore, but this is what you can do for us so the tax man is happy.”
Times sure change. I don’t see the specter of Canadian only sales as valid unless they get another large foreign market. There’s always reverse engineering.
Iowa Dave