shipping parts to ETI from USA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
shipping parts to ETI from USA

I've started shipping parts from the USA to Canada for my 21 build; Tammy wrote that she had to pay $49 for fees and handling on her end; this is 20% of the price of the item!

I sent this as a gift to myself at ETI and noted it would be re-imported back to the USA.

Did others have have this issue and if so, how did you address it? Is there something I did wrong in filling out the customs forms at the US side? Can I file for a return on crossing the border (like the VAT tax in Europe?)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
What shipping company did you use? When I mail-order from the US, I always avoid the base-price UPS and Fedex services, because they charge huge brokerage fees (or they used to, at least). The more expensive UPS and Fedex services and USPS have always worked well for mail-ordered items.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We just sent fabric from Sailrite and a cable with no problems, UPS and USPS. Tammy said sometimes things get through with paying customs and some don't.
I see your orientation is the same day as ours, I guess they do 2 at the same time?
Barry
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We ordered our satellite antenna from Camping World and they shipped to ETI for a nominal fee. Our mirrors were ordered from Costco in Canada which allows you to order from the U.S. but you can only ship to a Canadian address. The shower head we sent USPS.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If the seller will only ship UPS, I don't buy it.
I have everything shipped USPS or forget it.
Getting dinged by UPS for "brokerage fees" once is enough.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Commercial Member

I send everything by USPS as I get a discount when I ship it through my business address. Did research Canada Post, the GST (general sales tax) and PST (provincial sales tax) are refundable - just have to file paperwork, same as doing a VAT (value added tax) when one visits Europe.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #7

I used USPS. The charge was high, but was able to get ETI to install a shower head during the build that would have needed reinforcing if left until after the build was complete. If it doesn't require them to install ahead of time, I would recommend carrying with you until the day of the orientation. I shipped a paper towel rack and umbra hooks, but ETI installed during my orientation.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I used USPS. The charge was high, but was able to get ETI to install a shower head during the build that would have needed reinforcing if left until after the build was complete. If it doesn't require them to install ahead of time, I would recommend carrying with you until the day of the orientation. I shipped a paper towel rack and umbra hooks, but ETI installed during my orientation.
I sent a rear camera system and a "shortie" Atwood electric tongue jack (clears the tailgate) as they needed it early for wire routing, otherwise I'm taking the simple stuff with.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I've started shipping parts from the USA to Canada for my 21 build; Tammy wrote that she had to pay $49 for fees and handling on her end; this is 20% of the price of the item!
Welcome to cross-border shipping. I'm sure you were not told of this charge, as it is customary for the shipping companies to not mention it in advance, then hold your property hostage until someone pays to get it from them... or they just deliver it then bill you.

Quote:
I sent this as a gift to myself at ETI and noted it would be re-imported back to the USA.

Is there something I did wrong in filling out the customs forms at the US side? Can I file for a return on crossing the border (like the VAT tax in Europe?)
It probably doesn't matter whether or not you re-import the item, as this was almost certainly not a tax or duty of any kind, or any other kind of fee charged by a government. Accordingly, you likely made no error in government forms. This sort of charge is usually a bogus fee by the shipping company, which will happily repeatedly charge the fee if you send the same item - or any random object - over the border.

If this money did not go to any government (unlike a legitimate tax), there is no way to reclaim the value from any government. The courier company sure won't give it back to you.

Quote:
Did others have this issue and if so, how did you address it?
Yes, essentially any Canadian who has purchased something from a U.S. supplier who ships with a courier company has had the same experience. I address this by avoiding the courier companies and - as others have already mentioned - using the post offices (US Postal Service [USPS] and Canada Post) instead.

The other avoidance method is to purchase from a supplier who ships from a Canadian location - regardless of where the supplier is based - avoiding the border crossing entirely.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I send everything by USPS as I get a discount when I ship it through my business address. Did research Canada Post, the GST (general sales tax) and PST (provincial sales tax) are refundable - just have to file paperwork, same as doing a VAT (value added tax) when one visits Europe.
I don't get this part - Canada Post doesn't charge the bogus brokerage fees, and GST (which is Goods and Services Tax; 5%) and PST (7% in BC) together don't add up to 20% of the item value. This almost sounds like COD (Cash On Delivery) instead of pre-paid shipping.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcdonaher View Post
We just sent fabric from Sailrite and a cable with no problems, UPS and USPS. Tammy said sometimes things get through with paying customs and some don't.
I see your orientation is the same day as ours, I guess they do 2 at the same time?
Barry
Barry, we won't be picking ours up until after 8/25 - I think they book 2 a day now and then but at different times.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't get this part - Canada Post doesn't charge the bogus brokerage fees, and GST (which is Goods and Services Tax; 5%) and PST (7% in BC) together don't add up to 20% of the item value. This almost sounds like COD (Cash On Delivery) instead of pre-paid shipping.
Canada Post also charges a Handling Costs fee, which is the difference. GST and PST can both be refunded by filling out the proper paperwork. I used USPS, no broker. I'll just collect all the Canadian Post receipts and file for refund when the trailer is exported to the US. No big deal after all, just more paperwork.

I ship to customers in Canada and just haven't had this issue pop up before.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Barry, we won't be picking ours up until after 8/25 - I think they book 2 a day now and then but at different times.
Maybe we'll see on the way back, haven't planned our route yet.
Barry
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too always ship USPS/Canada Post, as the $10 brokerage fee is included in the cost. I have never had additional charges, ever.

I have refused to buy many things when shipping is with UPS, as their brokerage fees are nothing but a rip-off. I just received a 1Up USA bike rack, and when ordering forgot to check the shipper. Sure enough it was UPS, and we got dinged an additional $70 at the door for 1 minute worth of paperwork.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Today I received via UPS 10 yards of fabric from Sailrite. Weighed 11 lbs. and cost $19 for shipping. Started to create a label using info I had and was shown 3 different charges from $42-$47. Figured it was the $47, but decided I would just take it to P.O. They charged me $59. When I mentioned lower pricing online, the clerk said it was lower online. Oops.

Indicated gift on the customs form, will see if any more fees accrue. I did insure it and that was about $5. From what I've read it probably would have been the same or maybe even less had I let Sailrite ship it to ETI. I did get to see the fabric.

Considered folding and placing in smaller box as it was 5' long and 5" X 5" square. Called Sailrite and the man who answered said he has his folded when he leaves work(with employee purchase), but advised against it saying the seamstress might have an issue with a crease.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Indicated gift on the customs form, will see if any more fees accrue. I did insure it and that was about $5.
ETI will pay the Canadian fees and add it to your bill. They've provided me copies of the charges so that once the trailer is exported you can file for a refund with the Canadian officials, like a VAT tax in Europe. I tried the gift method too - it didn't matter. You will not get the $8 per shipment processing fee back, though.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Are those Canadian taxes still refundable?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Are those Canadian taxes still refundable?
Yes, the added taxes are the provincial sales taxes. There's a process to follow and ETI emailed me copies of their receipts to use. I'm just piling them up until I get the trailer.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
When we shipped parts to ETI, we explained the situation to the clerk, and she marked the form as "personal property". this makes sense to me because it is our property that we are going to pick up in Canada.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Today I received via UPS 10 yards of fabric from Sailrite. Weighed 11 lbs. and cost $19 for shipping.
Is 10 yards for the dinette only?
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote