Temporary Registration - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 - 21'
Temporary Registration

Our state of Colorado will not provide temporary registration for our camper. They need to physically confirm the VIN. We were told to obtain a temporary registration in Washington. Washington provides a temporary registration at $30/3 days. Our trip back will take more time than this. I know some states do not have temporary registration.
Have others just traveled to their homes without tags, and if so, have they had issues from being checked by the state/province troopers?
Any advice is appreciated. We pick up our camper in a few weeks and need to decide whether to buy a bunch of 3 day temporary permits for the time it will take us to travel home.
thank you.
bhonisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
I will be anticipating an answer to this as we are in the same situation. member Kordes of La Plata informed me that they were able to get the temporary tags. You might try to message them. I think they had the county make some calls to the state about this. We not only want to travel, but we are going through BC to Alaska. We are certainly not buying 3 day tags from Washington State, so Colo will have to figure something out.
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhonisch View Post
Our state of Colorado will not provide temporary registration for our camper. They need to physically confirm the VIN. We were told to obtain a temporary registration in Washington. Washington provides a temporary registration at $30/3 days. Our trip back will take more time than this. I know some states do not have temporary registration.
Have others just traveled to their homes without tags, and if so, have they had issues from being checked by the state/province troopers?
Any advice is appreciated. We pick up our camper in a few weeks and need to decide whether to buy a bunch of 3 day temporary permits for the time it will take us to travel home.
thank you.
I drove from Chilliwack to Las Vegas without tags, no problem. I did have a 30 day move permit from the Nevada DMV, but it was only good in the state of Nevada. If you want to get it home, you just have to go for it. I think with all the import documents that ETI will issue, you should be okay even if you are pulled over.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Here is the response from kordes which I received.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kordes
Mary. We went thru this late last summer in La Plata county. You can call me if you want. We got a temp tag until we could get home and licensed the trailer. Colorafo requires VIN inspection on all trailers
Sherry
970-290-6136
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Here's a whole thread on this that may help:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tion-7082.html
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We drove our 19' Escape from Chilliwack to Texas with no tags with no issues. (About 1/2 of our trip) In Texas, the tags caught up to us and we had them for the remainder of the trip. The big thing is to have insurance (and proof of such) and all your paperwork from Escape. Also, write down the name and position of the person from DMV who explained that they would not provide tags until you brought the trailer in for inspection.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhonisch View Post
thank you.
Towed my 19 back to New Jersey from Chilliwack last August with just that Washington State permit taped to the trailer's rear inside window. I know it was meaningless outside of Washington, but still looked official at 65mph, and gave me piece of mind. Have your trailer insured, and all your paperwork in a neat orderly fashion. If anyone asks, you are just taking your personal property home. As long as you have no warrants, an are not hauling any contraband, you should be fine. A lot of people doing worst things out there. Good Luck.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote