Temporary travel permit - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
David, they may not let you into Canada with THAT plate!
Well, it won't go on the trailer until after we take delivery in Sumas.....
Old 02-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #42

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Well, it won't go on the trailer until after we take delivery in Sumas.....
Yeah, I was thinking of more in your future travels. Look forward to hearing your reports after you pick up your 5.0!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Right now I'm starting to get a little nervous about the hitch - no manufacturer has come out with a hitch rail mounting kit for our new 2019 Ram yet....supposedly they are in the works but I've been hearing that for several months. I talked to Trademasters and asked if they would be able to do whatever it took to adapt a universal mounting bracket kit to get rails in our truck if a truck-specific kit isn't available by April, and they said they couldn't say for sure without seeing the truck. So in another month I'll have to start checking with local hitch installers to see about getting rails installed if rail mounting kits still aren't available. This, while we sit here imagining our 5.0TA sitting out on the ETI lot covered with snow....we will definitely be cracking open a bottle of champagne when we finally get to pick it up...and hitch it up!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Right now I'm starting to get a little nervous about the hitch - no manufacturer has come out with a hitch rail mounting kit for our new 2019 Ram yet....supposedly they are in the works but I've been hearing that for several months. I talked to Trademasters and asked if they would be able to do whatever it took to adapt a universal mounting bracket kit to get rails in our truck if a truck-specific kit isn't available by April, and they said they couldn't say for sure without seeing the truck. So in another month I'll have to start checking with local hitch installers to see about getting rails installed if rail mounting kits still aren't available. This, while we sit here imagining our 5.0TA sitting out on the ETI lot covered with snow....we will definitely be cracking open a bottle of champagne when we finally get to pick it up...and hitch it up!
Relax 5th wheel rail mounting is not a big deal. I went with a custom kit for two reasons: 1. it tends to be a cleaner and no drill installation and 2.for someone like me who was doing their own install it is more foolproof. My local camper shop puts them in all kinds of trucks and just uses the universal mounting kit...for them no big deal...they do it all the time and know what to expect. As long as you know where the rails are to be mounted(Reese can tell you this) it should be an easy job....again relax!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
I can't find another mention of this so I will ask it now . . . After we take possession of our new 17B in a few weeks, we need to tow it home to Northern California. Do we need to get some sort of travel permit for Washington and Oregon? . . . or will our export/import documents work ?
Omi
It totally depends on YOUR State. Our State, Oregon, but only if we are residents required us to get a temporary permit to travel with it before we registered with Oregon for our License plate. Some states will take all those wonderful records provided by Escape and actually give you a license plate before you even get up there. Of course it is unlikely that you will get stopped, but that is a bit beside the point. Oregon will not ticket you for not having a resident's temporary permit when you are not a resident. What does CA require? We decided we wanted to follow the law, so we got our temporary license for Oregon (that is only 10 days if I remember right). We drove from Canada down to Ontario Or to register our trailer with Oregon as we traveled for a long trip out of State. They did our registration, we wrote our check to OR, and they handed us a license for our trailer. (It wasn't that easy - it took an older guy who worked there to sort this out in the small office.) So your choice is to do what CA requires or to hope the paper work is enough - which I agree it probably is for almost all police. Funny twist -- in Oregon they are called vehicles!! Odd
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
Funny twist -- in Oregon they are called vehicles!! Odd
Trailers are vehicles, even if that's not what everyone would expect:
Quote:
ve·hi·cle
/ˈvēək(ə)l,ˈvēˌhik(ə)l/
noun
a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, truck, or cart.
They're just not motor vehicles, or self-propelled (so they're not "automobiles").

This can occasionally be important when reading regulations, because if you ignore anything referring to a "vehicle" you may miss requirements which do apply to trailers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interesting they call it a vehicle but yet prohibit you from transporting people inside or with it?
Old 02-14-2019, 03:20 AM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Interesting they call it a vehicle but yet prohibit you from transporting people inside or with it?
Yes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Quote:
ve·hi·cle...
a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, truck, or cart.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #49

Trailer: none
Quote:

Although you can transport people in 5th wheel trailers, at least in California, if certain requirements (such as communications) are met.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #50

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Although you can transport people in 5th wheel trailers, at least in California, if certain requirements (such as communications) are met.
Communications - Is that so the driver can call back and ask that the coffee be put on

True story, back in 1980 we rented a motorhome and perhaps we weren't quite as particular then about seatbelts but Beth did make coffee on the go, and lie in the back bed with our one year old!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #51

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Thank you Steve and h2owmn for your advice on making an appointment with the DMV in Nor Cal on the journey down to register the trailer. Had not thought of this - so, thank you!!
I have to reinforce this. Being a former 20 year resident of Siskiyou County I can't count the number of times I started at the Yreka DMV and after much frustration ended up at the Mt. Shasta DMV to complete Licensing and registrations.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:23 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 2019 19'
Will the temporary paperwork from ETI be enough for heading back into B.C. immediately after pickup in Sumas? We were hoping to visit Vancouver for a week immediately after pickup. Then head back to California on our way home.
infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm not sure what you mean by temporary but many folks do return to BC right away, some to attend the rally.

Once your trailer has crossed the border Southbound it's now a US trailer. No problem coming back into Canada.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 2019 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by temporary but many folks do return to BC right away, some to attend the rally.

Once your trailer has crossed the border Southbound it's now a US trailer. No problem coming back into Canada.

Ron
Thanks for the quick reply. After returning to BC right away and staying for 7 days, we shouldn’t have any issues returning to Washington right?

I’m curious why ETI requires delivery in Sumas WA for Americans.
infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity View Post
I’m curious why ETI requires delivery in Sumas WA for Americans.
Because the trailer needs to be imported into the USA. And by ETI doing it, instead of the buyer, it saves USA buyers money on taxes (which would be reimbursed after the paperwork is completed.) Be grateful ETI is handling all of it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:30 AM   #56

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Trailer Towing Laws by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have zero clue about motor vehicle laws, towing laws, trailer laws, etc. in other states. That's why if I'm referring to any law, process, etc. in Oregon, I try to say... In Oregon...

We can get newbies in the grease if we're not careful. And please, don't post about towing weights/vehicles that are legal in Europe and try to apply it locally

This is some of the best advise I have seen on the forum. To many times and in the spirit of helpfulness some one posts something that has no relation to the subject at hand.

Donna, and others, I used this web site in July and August traveling back home with our new E21:
https://trailers.com/state-laws/

But be advised that like other things on the Internet what is found there could be out of date and get you in trouble.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:37 AM   #57

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Quote:
So it appears that several east coast states, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New York allow you to transfer your plates to a new purchase. Again always check with your home state......

...add Georgia to the list of allowing the transfer of plates.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Because the trailer needs to be imported into the USA. And by ETI doing it, instead of the buyer, it saves USA buyers money on taxes (which would be reimbursed after the paperwork is completed.) Be grateful ETI is handling all of it.
Yup, and having just paid the tax that you'd have to pay if you took possession in BC and ETI didn't export it, as Donna said, be grateful ETI handles it that way.

To clarify, once that trailer has been exported from Canada it doesn't matter how soon you return to Canada. Leave Bob's Burgers and come right back if you want to. Once that trailer crosses the border the first time it's a US trailer. It can return anytime without any more paperwork.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #59

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
But, of course, have all of the paperwork that ETI gave you ready to show the US border guards along with your temporary US permit as you then reenter the US later. That makes you legal. I was amused to hear that you absolutely wouldn't have trouble. I know they mean you will be "legal" and you shouldn't have any hassles. And since you are undoubtedly a honest looking couple and won't be nervous, the US border guards probably will wave you right through. Going back in will be a snap - coming back to US should be OK
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
With both our Escape's we re-entered Canada immediately with no problems. The Canadian guard at Sumas just said - "Oh just bought a new Escape I see - we sure see lots of those" Coming back into the US, the boarder guards were not in the least concerned with trailer licenses, etc (we had no trailer license plate as Wisconsin will not issue them in advance) as that is all your state's laws. They didn't even ask to see any of the paperwork for the sale, even though we had it all ready to show them. Wisconsin DMV was another story...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote