Temporary travel permit - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #21

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So what happens to a trade in, do the tags stay on vehicle or transferred to new vehicle?
In Colorado the private seller of a vehicle is required to remove the tag from the sold vehicle. The buyer, now in possession of the bill-of-Sale and title , but no license plate, has 72 hours to register the vehicle in his name.

The seller is asked to inform the DMV of the sale but is not required to do so. That tag, and the annual registration decal attached to it, can not be reused or reassigned . It’s tied to both a specific vehicle and a specific owner.

On a trade-in, the auto dealer issues you a temporary paper tag. The DMV, in about 4-6 weeks, mails a new license plate.
You get to keep your now worthless old tag.

When the police run a tag, they know both the name of the registered owner and the vehicle to which that license plate is assigned.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
We can reactivate plates in Oregon too. As long as the vehicle the plate was assigned to has either been crushed or sold out of state. Old Oregon license plates are a very big deal at swap meets in Oregon. I bought an old pair of Oregon plates that were in perfect condition (almost 70 years old) that I planned on putting on one of my Mustangs. The plate number: MRS 922. My birthday is Sept. 22. I won't tell you what I paid for those plates.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In Oregon they stay with the vehicle. It makes it easier for LEOs too. When they run a plate, it comes back to the registered vehicle. IF they were waiting for DMV to catch up, a plate off a 1967 Mustang might end up on a VW bus and then the problems would start.
Same is true in Washington. Plates stay with the vehicle. (Except new of course.)
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:36 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
If you had or have an existing trailer, you can keep the tags and put them on the new Escape and just transfer the tags. Works with automobiles and trailers......

This is a definite NO in California. It is highly likely that you would face vehicle (Trailer and tow) impound (& $$$$ to get it out) until all was sorted out.

Jim,
I'd like to suggest that if you post this in the future, you also post a notice to check with the appropriate state DMV before trying this. I'd hate to hear of a newbie Escape owner getting in big trouble, and even temporarily losing their new trailer, based on info on the forum.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:52 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
This is a definite NO in California....
From what I've been able to gather, you can transfer specialty plates in CA, but not regular plates. Those remain with the vehicle.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:57 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The problem with social media is that it distributes as much misinformation as information.

If people would just pause to consider the source before repeating what they heard somewhere, we'd all be better off.

And, that's not political.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:19 AM   #27
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
All good advice above, OMI. We had a very pleasant 20 minute visit in your backyard DMV in Eureka. We made an appointment in advance, then took 3 weeks coming down the Olympic Peninsula, Washington Coast, and the Oregon Coast, before re-entering CA.. Make your appt. online and enjoy!
Thank you Steve and h2owmn for your advice on making an appointment with the DMV in Nor Cal on the journey down to register the trailer. Had not thought of this - so thank you!!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:37 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have zero clue about motor vehicle laws, towing laws, trailer laws, etc. in other states. That's why if I'm referring to any law, process, etc. in Oregon, I try to say... In Oregon...

We can get newbies in the grease if we're not careful. And please, don't post about towing weights/vehicles that are legal in Europe and try to apply it locally
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:05 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
This is a definite NO in California. It is highly likely that you would face vehicle (Trailer and tow) impound (& $$$$ to get it out) until all was sorted out.

Jim,
I'd like to suggest that if you post this in the future, you also post a notice to check with the appropriate state DMV before trying this. I'd hate to hear of a newbie Escape owner getting in big trouble, and even temporarily losing their new trailer, based on info on the forum.
Yes, this is true and is what I was trying to emphasize, your local jurisdiction is what controls what you can or can not do, so always follow your local registration laws, regardless of where you are, and you should be okay. Hopefully any new Escape owner is familiar with their local laws. Perhaps it is best to leave it alone until you return to your home state to avoid issues in other states/countries.
So my original comment should read

If you had or have an existing trailer, you can keep the tags and put them on the new Escape and just transfer the tags. Works with automobiles and trailers......in Pennsylvania/Maryland.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
So what happens to a trade in, do the tags stay on vehicle or transferred to new vehicle?
In NY, if it is a dealer purchase, they take care of the transfer from the old to new vehicle (the $ will be listed in the paperwork).

Private sale, you remove & keep the plate when you sell. You can put the old plate on a new trailer after paying for the new registration, even if it has been years since the sale & removal of the old plate. Don't know if it is the same for tow vehicles.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #31

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
I have purchased two trailers from Escape. I'm from NJ and both times drove out to pick it up. Both times I drove around the US for 8 weeks with nothing more than the paperwork from ETI and proof of insurance. I never had a problem. NJ is not an easy state to get title for something like this.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
On a parallel thought, and with no intention of derailing the OP…
These comments about registration laws being so different state by state, and which can vary by type of plate, reminds me of an important thing to do if applicable. If you live in a state where the plate goes with the vehicle or trailer upon sale or trade-in you need to file the appropriate paper or online form to notify the state that you have sold the vehicle or trailer ASAP after it leaves you. Whilst the state might use it to watch for it being re-registered and the resulting fees and taxes, the reason it is important to you is that it removes your liability as being the registered owner. This is true if you sell it directly to someone or even if you trade it in or sell to a dealer. Always let the state know you are no longer the owner.

Being a LEO in a former life, I don’t know how many times I investigated hit and runs, injury accidents, and other crimes wherein the former owner of a vehicle was a primary suspect because of not letting the state know they had sold a vehicle. Along with this was the insurance companies coming after them as well as litigation filed against them, all of which would have been avoided had they filed the notice of sale or trade. The dealers will tell you not to worry about this but do it anyway to protect yourself.

Also, we were able to get our trailer registered here in WA and have the plates with us in Sumas when we picked it up just with the paperwork Escape sent us prior to orientation. Just make sure you pay taxes on the US value you pay and not on the Canadian. We could not put the plate on until it came into the US or else it would mess up Escape's export process.
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #33
Omi

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Bea, Don't know if you got my first reply (don't quite understand the forum yet). Yes we did get our paperwork about 4 weeks ahead of our completion date. The short answer is no CA plates in advance.

DMV in Eureka was very helpful. Don't need to license a trailer until 20 days after it enters California. DMV needs to physically verify the VIN on the trailer. Highway Patrol can make that verification if their location is more convenient to your address. Need an appointment with either one.

By the way, the lady at DMV was very impressed with the paperwork . . . said she had never seen such thorough documentation.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California DMVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
DMV in Eureka was very helpful. Don't need to license a trailer until 20 days after it enters California. DMV needs to physically verify the VIN on the trailer. Highway Patrol can make that verification if their location is more convenient to your address. Need an appointment with either one. By the way, the lady at DMV was very impressed with the paperwork . . . said she had never seen such thorough documentation.

I've heard good things before about DMV-Eureka. That give Californians two (at least, hopefully) good DMV locations, both right on the northern entry routes to the state - Eureka on US-101, and Mt.Shasta on I-5.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #35
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
Bea, Don't know if you got my first reply (don't quite understand the forum yet). Yes we did get our paperwork about 4 weeks ahead of our completion date. The short answer is no CA plates in advance.

DMV in Eureka was very helpful. Don't need to license a trailer until 20 days after it enters California. DMV needs to physically verify the VIN on the trailer. Highway Patrol can make that verification if their location is more convenient to your address. Need an appointment with either one.

By the way, the lady at DMV was very impressed with the paperwork . . . said she had never seen such thorough documentation.
Hi Omi, thanks for the information. Great to hear ETI has such thorough documentation! (We are newbies on this forum, too.) Hope our trails cross someday. Happy travels!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Also chiming in on the eti paperwork thoroughness. Though I had a terrible time (already posted here) getting the CA plates, I had driven a month from CA to Maine before I received them--without a single stop for traveling without a plate (I did have a sticker and temp registration in the glove box)

The only person who noticed was a neighboring camper in NE who was a retired cop. a bonus, i guess unmanned toll road station cameras take a pic of the back of the car/trailer, because a lot of states dont require front and back plates. I called several states to try to pay tolls because i wasn't home to get a bill based on license plate, and none of them had any record of me passing through.

thank goodness for my pal who picked the plates up here and remailed to me, and for general delivery at the PO in Bar Harbor.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
I owned another trailer when I bought my used escape, VT allows you to transfer your plates so I brought mine with me and bolted em on. Just make sure you have valid insurance on the trailer as that could be one heck of a loss if you got into an accident. I actually set up the insurance before hand(all you need is the VIN and maybe the invoice showing value) and when it was in my possession I called and got the insurance activated right then and there and they emailed me the card.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So it appears that several east coast states, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New York allow you to transfer your plates to a new purchase. Again always check with your home state......
Old 02-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Not sure about regular plates, but in Texas personalized plates always stay with the owner so we'll have the license plate from our old trailer to take with us to Chilliwack for the trip home. Haven't gone to try and register yet, but based on others' experience it sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through in Austin and we won't be able to register until we have the trailer back here.
Attached Thumbnails
2019-02-10 15.14.12.jpg  
Old 02-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #40

Trailer: none
David, they may not let you into Canada with THAT plate!