Texas Registration - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interestingly enough, just had my new 2019 E21 inspected, a requirement here in Pennsylvania. Although a new trailer, the verify the emergency cable activation, look at the tires for tread ware and pulled 2 wheels, leaking seals. I had all 4 done, minimal cost $100 but you could see the grease getting close to the brakes. My point being, inspections are all not all that bad, they can uncover potential problems before they become major issues. Oh and my lugs are now properly torqued and I'm good for one year.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Interestingly enough, just had my new 2019 E21 inspected, a requirement here in Pennsylvania. Although a new trailer, the verify the emergency cable activation, look at the tires for tread ware and pulled 2 wheels, leaking seals. I had all 4 done, minimal cost $100 but you could see the grease getting close to the brakes. My point being, inspections are all not all that bad, they can uncover potential problems before they become major issues. Oh and my lugs are now properly torqued and I'm good for one year.
Sounds like you had a real inspection - the one Texas does is check the lights and write down the VIN.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, sometimes complacency can bite you!
Old 07-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Here's the process we went through to title and register our 19' in Blanco County,TX.

1. Went to local county DMV office May 7, 2019, with all Escape paperwork in hand. Clerk immediately recognized the Canadian MCO. Said we could not register until we had VIN inspected. Needed MCO, Texas 130-U, Tx VTR-68-A, HS-7, stamped CBP 7501, and bill-of-sale. Obtained a 20 day transit permit to bring it back to Texas.

2. Picked up trailer May 23.

3. Upon return on June 4, left voicemail to schedule VIN inspection via DPS officer in Hayes county who comes one day per month to Johnson City.

4. Because of actual inspection date uncertainty, we figured 20 day permit might expire before VIN inspection. Purchased 30-day temp permit since trailer was now in Texas.

5. VIN inspector returned our call, and his June visit to Blanco county was actually the following Wednesday. Met inspector on June 12.

6. Turned in originals of all paperwork above at DMV on June 12. To clarify that the BoS pricing was in Canadian dollars, we included the money transfer documents showing the US dollars. Paid $2392.06 in Tx sales taxes plus title and registration fees. Total check was $2488.81.

7. Received Tx plates that day, and new title was in PO Box about 14 days later.

8. Because of trailer GVWR < 7500 lbs, clerk agreed that we did not need a vehicle safety inspection.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #25

Trailer: escape 17b 2017
depends on county

our experience as documented elsewhere was quite different and it is because it depends on the county yer from travis county requires a visual inspection of the vin# right there in the parking lot. no exceptions.
minnranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
One state, one set of rules, many different interpretations!
Old 07-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #27

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
I appreciate the warning, Texas neighbors, as I've just ordered a 17B which ETI says will be ready for pickup in October. Your discussion will definitely help me to prepare for whatever the clerks in Harris County might demand. It does come as rather a shock that the taxes on my new Escape will be so high, though it was foolish of me not to have considered the sales tax when calculating total cost! Can't escape death and taxes, though getting the Escape as the sales price does remove some of the sting. And of course, if I hadn't sold my home last month, I'd still be subject to NC income taxes, which Texas doesn't collect. So … I still think that Texas will prove to be the best state of residence for me, first, because I'll be traveling to places in Canada, the US, and Mexico where sales taxes are not likely to be as high, and second, because I'll be glad to return to my daughter here in Houston whenever homesickness for her company strikes. A particular downside for me is the thought of having to scrap my after-purchase excursion. My original plan was to leave Washington, travel in and out of Canada toward Vermont to enjoy the fall color, then dip on down to NC to enjoy the Thanksgiving holidays with my sister before returning to Houston for Christmas. Will I really have to forego that lovely (and leisurely) trip just to register the trailer in Texas within the 30-day time period? Ugh! Maybe there's a loophole somewhere?
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
I think you can easily get a trip permit which will be good for 30 days. May be able to get a longer one, but I do not know. Should be able to specify the actual effective dates too.

Be sure you are able to show the price in USD, not Canadian, when it comes time to pay the sales tax.

When I applied for the title on my 17B I just took the weights off the tag on the trailer. The form does not specify lbs, so I just entered the tag number. Doubt it will ever make any difference, but who knows?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I just got a temp tag in Galveston County. 30 days is the max I could get. They were able to set the effective date for my delivery date in a few weeks so that helped.

If you are comfortable with it, many new owners Have traveled with no tag and all the original paperwork ETI provides until they can get to their home state and register. I don’t recall anyone reporting a problem traveling the country while doing this. It’s worth considering.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #30

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to have my paperwork lined up as you say, Marant, and I'm thinking I may just take my time traveling back to Texas, JStelly. I mean, what a drag to drive all that distance to pick up your RV and head straight back home when there's so much of the country you're been itching to explore? Perhaps I'll work up enough courage to do what makes the most sense in these circumstances - and hope some judge doesn't throw the book at me along the way. ��
Old 07-19-2019, 07:06 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
And another idea. Your daughter may be able to get a second 30 day tag and mail it to you. It’s nothing more than an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper they print and hand to you. On the other hand since the VIN number is provided the system may prevent them from issuing a second one but it’s worth a try.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #32

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Don't know about TX for sure, but most states allow successive trip permits for cases where the vehicle has title/registration problems that require more time to solve.

When we purchased our used 17B the seller did not leave the plate on it. We just took a chance and drove 1000 miles with no plate or tag. Got lucky (?) and had no problems, but made sure we had bill of sale, insurance, etc ready. I think the big thing is to drive carefully and not give any other reason to pull you over.

If I were an officer in this circumstance I would just congratulate you on your new trailer and request a tour!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Texas does allow you to purchase successive temp plates
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #34

I hope you're right about that, Oldtimer, but even if not, as JStelly suggests, it's definitely worth a try. Hopefully, no one will even notice an expired tag, and if so, the responding officer may be as jovial and curious to about the Escape as the one Marant visualizes. Either way, I'm looking forward to October 15th!
Old 07-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #35

It was the case here in Wise County walked in got temp plate and was told I could get another one if needed. After we got our 21 home walked in handed all paper worked they needed and walked-out much lighter on left side 5 mins later with perm plates
Old 07-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Sounds like you had a real inspection - the one Texas does is check the lights and write down the VIN.
Pretty much the same here in NY. $6.00.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #37

Oh, this is good news! It would be so wasteful to drive all that way just to rush back and miss everything wonderful in between. After all, that's what an RV is for! Thanks, guys!
Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #38

I didn’t have to have any inspection to get our tags.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Oh, this is good news! It would be so wasteful to drive all that way just to rush back and miss everything wonderful in between. After all, that's what an RV is for! Thanks, guys!

Ava,
When we bought our 2017 21’ TT, I fretted over the licensing and tried unsuccessfully to be proactive.

In the end, I just crossed back into the US in January 2017, called my county tax office and told them “ I just bought a travel trailer in Canada and don’t plan to be back in Texas until April. What should I do?”

They sent the paperwork to my mail forwarding service...I filled it out and wrote them a check...they sent my plates.

I worried for nothing.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #40

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
In the end, I just crossed back into the US in January 2017, called my county tax office and …. They sent the paperwork to my mail forwarding service...I filled it out and wrote them a check...they sent my plates.
Fred M.
Terrific, Fred! That's just what I'll do. Thanks so much!