Texas Registration - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Every state have their own rules, but you should be fine driving home without plates and get everything done once home. As fas as payment, your local office can answer that.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Terrific, Fred! That's just what I'll do. Thanks so much!
I would have a backup plan. Since Fred titled his trailer, Texas now requires a VIN inspection before they will plate a trailer.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I tried to no avail to get plates in advance, had to wait until we got home with the trailer to get the VIN inspection - but other than that it went very smoothly. In Austin they schedule the VIN inspections only once or twice a month and book up well in advance, so check into getting an appointment for that ahead of time - we had one scheduled a week after we arrived home, then went to the tax office the next day and got our plates.

Like many others have said, traveling home from Chilliwack with no plates on the trailer was not a problem, never got questioned or asked but as long as you have all your paperwork you'll be fine.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
The folks at the Kingsville DMV were either very knowledgeable or were without a clue when I was there. Took 10 min.

Haven't been home for a month ( too hot) or so. Might have some 'final notices' there to show up at the DMV and do it again.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #45

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
From what I just read at TxDPS - New Legislation
(as copied below), I've decided not to worry about registration until I bring my trailer home to Texas. I've download form 130 U per the process Tom (tdf-Texas) laid out.

I had planned to head to the east coast immediately after picking up my trailer, but that may not be possible. Who knows? I may head to Texas sooner rather than later - perhaps in time to make the Pineknot Rally!

Senate Bill 1001
Effective Sept. 1, 2017
SB 1001 changes the actual gross weight or registered gross weight for a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home from 4,500 pounds or less to 7,500 pounds or less to be exempt from vehicle inspection. (emphasis added)

House Bill 1888
Effective Jan 1, 2016
HB 1888 amends the Transportation Code by providing an exemption from inspection as a condition to register a motor vehicle in Texas when certain criteria is met and creates a penalty for failure to obtain an inspection in specific limited circumstances. The exemption applies to vehicles registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP), or a token trailer registered under Transportation Code, Chapter 502. Additionally, this bill provides authorization for the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles or the county assessor-collector to register a vehicle located in another state without a vehicle inspection, if the applicant certifies an inspection will be obtained upon return to Texas. (emphasis added)

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:39 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I would have a backup plan. Since Fred titled his trailer, Texas now requires a VIN inspection before they will plate a trailer.
Interesting. We picked up our 2018 21 in September last yr. I didn’t have to get the unit inspected to get our tags. Went in with all the paperwork and 5 to 10 mins later walked out with our plates and a funny walk due left side $2000 lighter lol. No inspection needed
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:31 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Interesting. We picked up our 2018 21 in September last yr. I didn’t have to get the unit inspected to get our tags. Went in with all the paperwork and 5 to 10 mins later walked out with our plates and a funny walk due left side $2000 lighter lol. No inspection needed
The inconsistency between employees at the same DMV office, the inconsistency from office to office, and the complete inconsistency between what the website says and what the offices actually do, USED to be "interesting" to me. But having seen it documented here now dozens of times, my interest is only a mild amusement.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #48

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
From what i’ve read and experienced, it varies by DMV office and the actual DMV employee you get. We picked our new 19’ up at the end of June and had the license plate in hand. In May, I visited a DMV office in Harris County with all the paperwork ETI sent to me. I made sure to have a Bill of Sale in US dollars. The DMV employee initially said I needed to weigh the trailer and have it inspected before they could register it. After my insistence and producing the ETI document that showed the weight (as less than 5,000lbs) and paying sales tax, they issued the registration and license plate. Think I was fortunate to convince them, and it was really nice to be done with it. Good luck!
Retired2lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #49

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired2lake View Post
From what i’ve read and experienced, it varies by DMV office and the actual DMV employee you get. We picked our new 19’ up at the end of June and had the license plate in hand. In May, I visited a DMV office in Harris County with all the paperwork ETI sent to me. I made sure to have a Bill of Sale in US dollars. The DMV employee initially said I needed to weigh the trailer and have it inspected before they could register it. After my insistence and producing the ETI document that showed the weight (as less than 5,000lbs) and paying sales tax, they issued the registration and license plate. Think I was fortunate to convince them, and it was really nice to be done with it. Good luck!
I can't say that I'm amused inconsistences in application of the law anywhere, including the DMV. I mean, if a layperson can find the applicable law via Google with a few computer strokes, then every person who deals with such things at the DMV should be able to accomplish the task in less than a minute. Whatever the case, when the time comes I'll be sure to have all of my documents in hand, and, just in case I need it, a printout of the most recent legislation, too. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Old 08-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
in Ohio you can get a 45 day tag with the purchase docs when the vin is assigned.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:56 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

They were requiring a VIN inspection back then too, but Polk County did not request one from me. Go figure!!!

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #52

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Bastrop County did not require it in late May-early June. Of course, it was only state to state, not international.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
Hi All... question on how you would go about registering a used Escape in Texas. I am being transferred from Canada to Houston and would like to potentially bring my 2018 19’ with me. With it not being brand new and coming from Canada will it complicate the issue? Thanks!
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowen23 View Post
Hi All... question on how you would go about registering a used Escape in Texas. I am being transferred from Canada to Houston and would like to potentially bring my 2018 19’ with me. With it not being brand new and coming from Canada will it complicate the issue? Thanks!
Each and every state is different, but most will require a current registration and you will pay some fees to transfer. You may want to contact TEXDOT for specific items.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Agree, I would start with the TXDOT web site. It has some good information. As you make your residence decision this will drive what county you will be in. While Houston is in Harris County, the suburban cities can be in Galveston, Fort Bend or Montgomery county. Unfortunately, while everyone follows the same rules there are slight differences from county to county. This thread has some good examples of the differences. Therefore it will be best to visit the local county tax office to get the information directly from them as to what they will require.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #56

Texas Registration

I picked up this form at the Galveston County Tax Office. It’s what they follow. It should help. Ignore my scribbles. They are not relevant to your situation. Name:  IMG_5405.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  19.8 KB
Old 09-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowen23 View Post
When do you plan to move?

I just became a Houston, Texas resident, so some things won't apply, but I'll be picking up my 17B in Chilliwack next month. I'm not sure how long making my way back may actually take, but I'll respond to this thread when my Harris County registration is complete to let you know how it went. Best wishes … and get ready for some gnarly traffic!

Old 09-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #58

Trailer: 2019 escape 5.0TA
Texas Registration different in every county

It should not be,,, but it seems to be.... Best bet is to call the Tax Office and ask them to email requirements..
cphoenix11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphoenix11 View Post
It should not be,,, but it seems to be.... Best bet is to call the Tax Office and ask them to email requirements..

Agree. My experience and the experience of others noted minor differences from county to county. For example, I went yesterday to Galveston county with all my paperwork and the clerk hesitated since in her words “she didn’t do trailers”. I thought oh no here we go again. Fortunately, she turned to a senior clerk of confirmed I had all the right paperwork.

I also learned that getting multiple 30 day temp tags is a county policy. In Galveston county the limit is two and in Harris county the limit is four. (I learned this when my trip was delayed in August and I needed another 30 day tag).

Finally, an imported trailer requires an initial safety inspection (they just check the lights). Since the state requirement for trailer safety inspections is for trailers greater than 7,500 lbs and all Escapes are well under this, many locations won’t do the inspection since it’s not required annually. It’s a frustrating Catch 22. [emoji17]. I called around to a number of places before I found one who would do a simple one time inspection. Frustrating.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Since the state requirement for trailer safety inspections is for trailers greater than 7,500 lbs and all Escapes are well under this, many locations won’t do the inspection since it’s not required annually. It’s a frustrating Catch 22. [emoji17]. I called around to a number of places before I found one who would do a simple one time inspection. Frustrating.
Yes, and add this to a long list of inconsistencies here in Texas. The trailer doesn't require a "safety inspection" by statute, but a VIN inspection.