Texas Registration - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Texas Registration

I went to the DMV this morning to register my new 21 to be picked up in Aug. I had read several post from Texas owners that had some problems so didn't know what to expect.

I made the determination to volunteer nothing but to let them ask for what they needed. I just told her I needed to register my new travel trailer and she asked for the Bill of Sale and the Mfg Origin Statement. She checked them and told me I didn't require an inspection because it only weighed 3700 lbs. I, of course, agreed with that assessment. She gave me an Application for Title document which I filled out while she did her thing and 10 min later I left there with my registration, plate, and a skinny wallet.

No mention about it being imported from either of us.

So my advice is don't complicate the process with import documents until and if asked for them. 'KISS'!

It would not surprise me to receive a letter at some point that more documents were needed, but for now, I'm very pleased.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Well u got off good cause I called our local office last week and I need to make an appt with Texas Auto Theft Task Force to get VTR68-A. They make sure trailer is not stolen by VIN inspection.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just received my title today, 2019 Escapade Trailer.....? as far as inspection it is not what the weight but the GVWR should determine inspection, you maybe receiving some literature soon.
I have to wait 2 weeks for a corrected title and registration, but was told I can use the plates now until the correction is processed..
Old 07-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Well u got off good cause I called our local office last week and I need to make an appt with Texas Auto Theft Task Force to get VTR68-A. They make sure trailer is not stolen by VIN inspection.
That was my point. I didn't ask any questions. I just told her I needed to register my new trailer and she told me what she needed and I provided it. Bill of Sale and Mfg Origin Statement.

I may hear from DMV about it but for now I'm good
Old 07-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I just received my title today, 2019 Escapade Trailer.....? as far as inspection it is not what the weight but the GVWR should determine inspection, you maybe receiving some literature soon.
I have to wait 2 weeks for a corrected title and registration, but was told I can use the plates now until the correction is processed..
As I said, It wouldn't surprise me to receive a letter about it. My new registration says 'Empty weight 3700' and 'Gross Weight 5000' so she didn't miss it, just went with the empty weight.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
That was my point. I didn't ask any questions. I just told her I needed to register my new trailer and she told me what she needed and I provided it. Bill of Sale and Mfg Origin Statement.

I may hear from DMV about it but for now I'm good
Try going to your DMV office and telling them you need to register your new trailer. Give the lady what she ask for and volunteer nothing. Say nothing about imports as that is obvious from the Mft Statement of Origin.

Worth a try. Worked for me.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Agree, and if asked where you are picking up the trailer remember that it is Sumas, WA, not Chilliwack, B.C. Canada!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Try going to your DMV office and telling them you need to register your new trailer. Give the lady what she ask for and volunteer nothing. Say nothing about imports as that is obvious from the Mft Statement of Origin.

Worth a try. Worked for me.
In much of Texas it's not that hard to register an Escape. In some areas, like Austin where we live, they have an additional requirement to get a VIN inspection in person due to a high rate of stolen vehicles. Even that was not hard to do, just meant that we couldn't get our plates in advance, had to wait until we actually had the trailer.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
In much of Texas it's not that hard to register an Escape. In some areas, like Austin where we live, they have an additional requirement to get a VIN inspection in person due to a high rate of stolen vehicles. Even that was not hard to do, just meant that we couldn't get our plates in advance, had to wait until we actually had the trailer.
I live deep in the boondocks and my closest DMV is in Kingsville about 60 mi north of me. It appears Different DMV offices have different ways of doing things. Never came up with me before.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'd be curious to see what the "make" of the trailer is on your registration. In my case it shows as "Escape" and the model is "19". That alone flagged the fact that the trailer's origin was not in the USA.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'd be curious to see what the "make" of the trailer is on your registration. In my case it shows as "Escape" and the model is "19". That alone flagged the fact that the trailer's origin was not in the USA.
The 'Year/make' reads 2019/ESCP. 'Model' is blank. The Mfg Origin is very clear about it being built in Canada. Neither one of us brought that up.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Finally registered our 2010 17B in Bastrop county today. Required: Inspection $7, Insurance card for truck??, their form which included weight (I put it in kg off the card...they did not care), Signed Missouri title from seller, Bill of sale, TX dl for all titled owners (they accepted copy of DW).

Registration was about $70, title was over $1,000 due to use tax based upon the price we paid. I was in shock. Was told if it had been titled in our name anywhere else it would have been $90. How many times to the different states get to assess full bore for sales/use taxes? Every time there is a new owner? (Sorry, we come from OR which has no sales tax). Rant over.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Was told if it had been titled in our name anywhere else it would have been $90.

But, what would it have cost you to title it elsewhere first? Buying a home, establishing residence, paying taxes . . .
Old 07-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #14

Wish there were a way to duck taxes and stay out of the 'Do Rite Hotel'
Old 07-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
I went to the DMV this morning to register my new 21 to be picked up in Aug. I had read several post from Texas owners that had some problems so didn't know what to expect.

I made the determination to volunteer nothing but to let them ask for what they needed. I just told her I needed to register my new travel trailer and she asked for the Bill of Sale and the Mfg Origin Statement. She checked them and told me I didn't require an inspection because it only weighed 3700 lbs. I, of course, agreed with that assessment. She gave me an Application for Title document which I filled out while she did her thing and 10 min later I left there with my registration, plate, and a skinny wallet.

No mention about it being imported from either of us.

So my advice is don't complicate the process with import documents until and if asked for them. 'KISS'!

It would not surprise me to receive a letter at some point that more documents were needed, but for now, I'm very pleased.

I tried your approach yesterday in Galveston County with no luck. I must have had a “junior clerk/trainee”. She asked her coworkers lots of questions, didn’t know that insurance for the tow vehicle and not the trailer is required and didn’t know the code on her input screen for a travel trailer. It was an ordeal just to get a 30 day temp tag.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I tried your approach yesterday in Galveston County with no luck. I must have had a “junior clerk/trainee”. She asked her coworkers lots of questions, didn’t know that insurance for the tow vehicle and not the trailer is required and didn’t know the code on her input screen for a travel trailer. It was an ordeal just to get a 30 day temp tag.
That has been the case as long as there has been a DMV. The clerk you talk to makes a difference.

Mine only asked one question. She asked her supervisor if she should use the 'empty weight' or the 'gross weight' number for inspection purposes and they went with the empty.

I will probably hear about that as I'm sure it should be the gross and in TX if over 4500 lb it requires inspection.

I didn't object. When I see things are going my way I always remember what my first CO in the army told me. "Don't talk, Listen"
Old 07-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 escape 5.0TA
Just registered in Texas (DFW). Yes they wanted the VTR. They wanted me to get it independently weighed. they demanded I get it inspected it. They Demanded a money order for the VTR. They demanded the customs stamp. They argued with about the purchase date... Very expensive in Texas if not titled in 30 days. Finally they went with the customs stamped date.

It was a PIA... but its done now. The VTR can only be done once a month here in DFW.. and you better have that money order.. because cash and credit aint good enuff
cphoenix11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:

I will probably hear about that as I'm sure it should be the gross and in TX if over 4500 lb it requires inspection.
The inspection requirement was changed several years ago - now any trailer with a gross weight less than 7500 pounds does not require an inspection.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection
Old 07-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 escape 5.0TA
It did not require an annual inspection. Only a single inspection for initial titling because it came in from out of the country. I think its safe to say that Texas is so governmentally confused that it all depends on what Tax Office and County you live in. I went to two different tax offices both had same requirements.
Mansfied/Southlake.... VTR was in Mansfield about 30 miles where I live after picking up titling requirements from Southlake (2 miles from home) I then went to Mansfield and got the VTR , inspection and titling done all at same day. Mansfield had exactly the same requirements as Southlake.... Both in Tarrant County.
cphoenix11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles new trailer requirements:
  1. Manufacturer Certificate of Origin
  2. A completed Form 130-U
  3. Applicable fees

In addition, bring the paperwork provided by Escape.

https://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-o...hicle/trailers

Nothing else. If asked for a VTR, inspection, etc., ask them to contact Austin for verification. Don't let these people BS you into more work than you are required.

I was asked on my trailer for a VTR and inspection - after nicely requesting her to call Austin, clerk thanked me for helping her learn something and both requests were dismissed.

New trailer registration for a Canadian manufactured trailer is not something DMV clerks do everyday so they tend to apply worse case requirements just to make sure they have everything needed to submit to Austin. Please help teach them so we can stop the madness!