Texas registration process - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Texas registration process

I wanted to start a new thread. I wanted to start the registration process early. My new 21 Escape will be delivered shortly.I live in Denton County, TX. I went to two offices in the county. I received the same information. I then called Austin DMV.
The Austin DMVy has issued a document with the requirements to register and title imported trailers. If you call Austin, you can get a copy. I would guess all offices have this.

These are the required forms 130-U Application for Texas tile and/or registration. VTR-141Trailer Verification Statement of fact. HS-7 Customs Form.VT68A Inspection form.
All trailers that are imported are required to be inspected at one of the 16 Regional Inspection stations in Texas. Each Region "may" have more than one inspection locations. Not all Counties have one. You can fine these locations at TXDMV.gov/abtpa-grantees.
Denton County says they will not register without this inspection.(Reading the forum, I noted others were able to register without this inspection), but not in Denton.
You also need a Bill of Sale, Certificate of origin and Government ID.This has been my experience in Denton. Maybe you will fare better elsewhere.

md cawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Here in Wise county, I took all the paperwork that Escaped supplied along with stamped import page,. Took all of 5 mins n wallet totally empty with our registration n tags. No inspection needed.

David

Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Thanks for posting because in August I'll be doing the same in Austin, so I will update with my experience with DMV. Question - we are picking up in Colorado and then camping there for a month. So I won't have any plates for a month before getting back. It will be insured, but does that present a problem do you think?
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #4

This is my recent experience, wish that it was the same for me as you "Old Timer"( by the way, I am an old timer too). I read the past posts on the forum and hoped that it would go smooth. You always want to trust and verify. Looks like the DMV has a process in place which they are now following. But, it is a governmental function, who knows.

Bobby K the DMV said I could get a one time use, point to point or a 30 day permit that can be used prior to registration/title. hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #5

Bobby K, I am going to get a 30 day permit next week. I'll let you know how that goes.
After delivery, I'll get an inspection and then do the title and registration.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Over the years many members have traveled home, sometimes taking weeks or more to camp along the way, without having plates for the trailer. I don't think I've ever seen anyone report having a problem, as long as you have your purchase paperwork from ETI with you that should satisfy anyone - although I've never even heard of anyone being stopped and questioned.

My theory is that any law enforcement officers who do notice you are too busy ogling the trailer to check for a license plate...
Old 06-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by md cawley View Post
Bobby K, I am going to get a 30 day permit next week. I'll let you know how that goes.
After delivery, I'll get an inspection and then do the title and registration.
Excellent md cawley. Please keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Over the years many members have traveled home, sometimes taking weeks or more to camp along the way, without having plates for the trailer. I don't think I've ever seen anyone report having a problem, as long as you have your purchase paperwork from ETI with you that should satisfy anyone - although I've never even heard of anyone being stopped and questioned.

My theory is that any law enforcement officers who do notice you are too busy ogling the trailer to check for a license plate...
Thanks David, I'm just trying to avoid possible pitfalls lying ahead.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #9

Bobby K, when I spoke with the Dallas Inspection office yesterday, the officer said their next appointment opening was June 25th. If you want to plan ahead for possible contingencies, you could call the Austin office to see what their schedule looks like, The officer also told me that I could to any location.
The phone numbers and locations of the various Inspections sites can be found in the link that I sent earlier.