Texas registration process - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17' SD former 2020 21C current
Texas registration process

I wanted to start a new thread. I wanted to start the registration process early. My new 21 Escape will be delivered shortly.I live in Denton County, TX. I went to two offices in the county. I received the same information. I then called Austin DMV.
The Austin DMVy has issued a document with the requirements to register and title imported trailers. If you call Austin, you can get a copy. I would guess all offices have this.

These are the required forms 130-U Application for Texas tile and/or registration. VTR-141Trailer Verification Statement of fact. HS-7 Customs Form.VT68A Inspection form.
All trailers that are imported are required to be inspected at one of the 16 Regional Inspection stations in Texas. Each Region "may" have more than one inspection locations. Not all Counties have one. You can fine these locations at TXDMV.gov/abtpa-grantees.
Denton County says they will not register without this inspection.(Reading the forum, I noted others were able to register without this inspection), but not in Denton.
You also need a Bill of Sale, Certificate of origin and Government ID.This has been my experience in Denton. Maybe you will fare better elsewhere.
md cawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Here in Wise county, I took all the paperwork that Escaped supplied along with stamped import page,. Took all of 5 mins n wallet totally empty with our registration n tags. No inspection needed.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Thanks for posting because in August I'll be doing the same in Austin, so I will update with my experience with DMV. Question - we are picking up in Colorado and then camping there for a month. So I won't have any plates for a month before getting back. It will be insured, but does that present a problem do you think?
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #4

This is my recent experience, wish that it was the same for me as you "Old Timer"( by the way, I am an old timer too). I read the past posts on the forum and hoped that it would go smooth. You always want to trust and verify. Looks like the DMV has a process in place which they are now following. But, it is a governmental function, who knows.

Bobby K the DMV said I could get a one time use, point to point or a 30 day permit that can be used prior to registration/title. hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #5

Bobby K, I am going to get a 30 day permit next week. I'll let you know how that goes.
After delivery, I'll get an inspection and then do the title and registration.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Over the years many members have traveled home, sometimes taking weeks or more to camp along the way, without having plates for the trailer. I don't think I've ever seen anyone report having a problem, as long as you have your purchase paperwork from ETI with you that should satisfy anyone - although I've never even heard of anyone being stopped and questioned.

My theory is that any law enforcement officers who do notice you are too busy ogling the trailer to check for a license plate...
Old 06-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by md cawley View Post
Bobby K, I am going to get a 30 day permit next week. I'll let you know how that goes.
After delivery, I'll get an inspection and then do the title and registration.
Excellent md cawley. Please keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Over the years many members have traveled home, sometimes taking weeks or more to camp along the way, without having plates for the trailer. I don't think I've ever seen anyone report having a problem, as long as you have your purchase paperwork from ETI with you that should satisfy anyone - although I've never even heard of anyone being stopped and questioned.

My theory is that any law enforcement officers who do notice you are too busy ogling the trailer to check for a license plate...
Thanks David, I'm just trying to avoid possible pitfalls lying ahead.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #9

Bobby K, when I spoke with the Dallas Inspection office yesterday, the officer said their next appointment opening was June 25th. If you want to plan ahead for possible contingencies, you could call the Austin office to see what their schedule looks like, The officer also told me that I could to any location.
The phone numbers and locations of the various Inspections sites can be found in the link that I sent earlier.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:52 AM   #10

Texas Registration process.

As a follow up to my last post, the registration of our 21C is complete.
After delivery of our trailer, I went and got a 30 day permit. No issues and straight forward. We then made an inspection appointment( in my earlier post I included info on inspection locations).
At the inspection, I gave the police inspectors all of the paperwork. The inspection lasted maybe 15 - 20 minutes. Again no issue.
I registered it the same day. I presented the clerk with the inspection form and all other paperwork. Of note, the clerk had a checklist of all documents that were required to register an imported trailer. She followed the checklist. Since I had all the required paperwork no issue. Paid that sales tax and the trailer was registered.
Also of note, I was charged sales tax ONLY on the base trailer price and not on the options.
This was how it went for me at the Denton County, Tx office.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
In 2017, my inspection and registration went smoothly here in Austin. The only hiccup was the officer noticed the little emblems that said 'Texas Edition' on the trailer. He paused and asked about it. I explained and it was OK. From there I went to Precinct 4, with my trailer still in tow. In about 30 minutes left with with the sticker for the plate.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #12

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Exclamation Note to Houstonians re: Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by md cawley View Post
As a follow up to my last post, the registration of our 21C is complete. After delivery of our trailer, I went and got a 30 day permit. No issues and straight forward. We then made an inspection appointment( in my earlier post I included info on inspection locations).
At the inspection, I gave the police inspectors all of the paperwork. The inspection lasted maybe 15 - 20 minutes. Again no issue.
I registered it the same day. I presented the clerk with the inspection form and all other paperwork. Of note, the clerk had a checklist of all documents that were required to register an imported trailer. She followed the checklist. Since I had all the required paperwork no issue. Paid that sales tax and the trailer was registered. Also of note, I was charged sales tax ONLY on the base trailer price and not on the options. This was how it went for me at the Denton County, Tx office.
I'm adding this so that Houstonians viewing this thread may be forewarned that, unless things have changed since I registered, the process may not proceed as smoothly. Best wishes and hoping things have now changed! See https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...n-15645-5.html

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #13

Strange here in wise county no inspection required for tags .......lucky I guess
Old 07-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I live in Houston and after getting my inspection I still can’t get the trailer registered and titled. My temporary tags expired 4/27 and based on what I read on the DOT website only commercial sales can get title through the mail. Houston government offices are mostly closed due to the surge in Covid. Have my paperwork ready to go once they open back up.
Glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glens View Post
I live in Houston and after getting my inspection I still can’t get the trailer registered and titled. My temporary tags expired 4/27 and based on what I read on the DOT website only commercial sales can get title through the mail. Houston government offices are mostly closed due to the surge in Covid. Have my paperwork ready to go once they open back up.
Glens, because of COVID and offices being closed, you shouldn't have to pay a late fee. I didn't drive my car for quite a while so forgot all about renewing my registration in March, but the late fee was waived.

Best wishes to you on getting everything done without additional hassle. Hopefully, you'll avoid the problems I encountered. The good news is that, once you've got it registered, it's done - except for yearly taxes. If you haven't done so, you may want to take a look at posts #89 and #97 at https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...n-15645-5.html

Old 07-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Strange here in wise county no inspection required for tags .......lucky I guess
Just to (attempt to) clarify -

In TX as of this date, no trailer rated under 7501# GTWR is required to be inspected to secure or renew the tags (aka license plate; aka annual registration). The entire current Escape lineup would not require annual inspection for tag renewal. Note that the trailer GTWR number triggering annual inspection for tags has changed over the years.

The "inspection" mentioned by others above is a 'VIN verification and FMVSS compliance inspection' that's only required one-time in conjunction with first securing a title for a trailer never before titled in Texas and purchased outside of the USA: https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...reign-vehicles
Old 07-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

In TX as of this date, no trailer rated under 7501# GTWR is required to be inspected to secure or renew the tags (aka license plate; aka annual registration). The entire current Escape lineup would not require annual inspection for tag renewal. Note that the trailer GTWR number triggering annual inspection for tags has changed over the years.

The "inspection" mentioned by others above is a 'VIN verification and FMVSS compliance inspection' that's only required one-time in conjunction with first securing a title for a trailer never before titled in Texas and purchased outside of the USA: https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...reign-vehicles
I understand about no inspections for escapes due to being lite weight. I stil didn’t have to have an inspection to verify the vin # here in wise county. Go figure lol
Old 07-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

Correct! Basically, the "inspection" is to prevent theft. The inspector simply makes sure that the VIN number on the paperwork matches that posted on the inside of the trailer. My inspector was quite impressed with the Escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I understand about no inspections for escapes due to being lite weight. I stil didn’t have to have an inspection to verify the vin # here in wise county. Go figure lol
Houston is just "special" that way! The supervisor at the facility I used even tried to make me pay late fees. I had to get the state comptroller on my cell phone - then handed it over to the supervisor for a good conversation before she agreed to see reason. (The time BEGINS upon entry into the state.) I'm not looking forward to getting my tax bill, either, and may do as a friend suggested and move to Livingston, TX. Definitely not a bad idea if COVID will get out of the way so I can do the three-season traveling I had planned for this year! After all, mail forwarding is one of Escapees' perks.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #19

Texas registration process

My first, original post, concerned registering my new 21C imported from Canada and the Texas requirements which also includes other required paperwork. My subsequent posts dealt with that process. The requirement for a VIN inspection done at specific locations by the Anti-thief Task Force in Texas for Escape Trailers imported into Texas is part of the registration process now in effect.

I though that the posts were clear in that it applied only to new imported, never titled or registered Escape trailers as applied now in 2020.
Sorry if I confused anyone.