The Latest Saga with the California DMV - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #21

Trailer: None
All these messages makes me wonder how much difficulty it will be to register in the Imperial state of Maryland. i am probably a couples years away from a purchase as i need to get both a tow vechicle as well as the trailer but it is good to do research and be prepared

Gary
gjw0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanallen2 View Post
Has any one tried going to CA Auto Assn to register their imported trailer? They do some DMV services for AAA members.
I tried. They can't do new registrations but only renewals or transfers.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouterse View Post
President Trump will make all things better!
What are you laughing at, when they get done with the southern wall, you're gonna pay for one in the north.
If we can find some immigrants to build it. Ivana might have them all running vacuum cleaners for her. Jeez it's harsh being the laughing stock of the World.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
What are you laughing at, when they get done with the southern wall, you're gonna pay for one in the north.
If we can find some immigrants to build it. Ivana might have them all running vacuum cleaners for her. Jeez it's harsh being the laughing stock of the World.
Dave
Dave it will be interesting seeing a wall built through the middle of four of the Great Lakes

Then we have places like Point Roberts or Northwest Angle both in the US but surrounded by Canada.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Dave
Don't be so hard on yourself Dave . I hardly hear any Iowa jokes any more so things are getting better .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #26

Traveling without a plate on the trailer

Our saga in January - crossed the US border at our town agent asked me to pull ahead to see trailer plate, she couldn't so asked me to get out and read it to her. Guess what, no plate, figure someone tore it off in our driveway (just heard yesterday that's been going on in our town) so back into Canada, traced our route home looking for the plate, then north ten minutes to get a replacement plate. Back to the border for a longer line-up

Anyway we traveled to KS with plate on the truck dash, taped it in back window to go to NM but it fell off when it got hot, so rest of the time it was back in the truck. Got home last week. Never got stopped. Now I just have to figure a way to attach it without replacing a whole tail light.

Adrian
Old 04-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Dave
The illegal Mexicans that Trump's expensive and useless wall won't keep out will happily build the northern wall!
Old 04-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouterse View Post
President Trump will make all things better!
Hi: bouterse... He's to busy influencing friends and building enemy's. Besides the wall would run through your neighbourhood. NIMBY!!!
Seems strange that "Caulifornia" needs the money... but makes it so hard for you to pay up!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Makes a person shutter!! We will be doing this in Aug/Sep'16 for a 5.0TA. Has any one tried going to CA Auto Assn to register their imported trailer? They do some DMV services for AAA members. Unless I hear or see something here in a couple of days, I shall stop at a local AAA and see what they have to offer. That being said, our plan is take delivery of our trailer on Aug 12, '16, maybe spend a day or so in the area getting the trailer checked out, loaded with our belongings and provisions, and then tour Canada/the western provinces on the way to Winnipeg to visit Jacki's sister and other Canadian relatives. Following a couple of weeks, we would again cross from Manitoba back into the U.S. into North Dakota in order to visit my sister in Minnesota! We would then proceed through several more U.S. states enroute to California, where supposedly we have to visit DMV within 30 days or so.
I will check out the AAA route to see what they might have to say and will post any results.
Are there any Canadian comments about US citizens importing a Canadian trailer, crossing back into Canada (with no U.S. license plates) and then touring Canada for a couple of weeks before departing the country again? This all sounded like a wonderful (and simple idea) when we first began this adventure back in Sep '15.
Ethan

Depending on the timing and where in MN you are traveling, perhaps you could make the Mississippi rally end of September. Looks like you'll be passing through our town on your trip but we won't be here, leaving right after the MB rally in August back home in early Oct.

Adrian
Old 04-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #30

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
When we lived in the Bay Area of CA we always used the smaller DMV offices. Have you ever seen the line at the SF branch? Then there is Daly City ugh worse Hayward. Safe to say no one who works at DMV is ever happy! Pleasanton branch is never crowded and manage to have smiles on their faces.

CHP Substations will do VIN verifications on the spot.

AAA also has limited DMV capabilities.

Probably dating myself but do you remember that song. Talkin' bout Mill Valley California ....that's my home!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Anyone registering an ETI trailer in California, NEEDS to read post #42 here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ia-7084-5.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Registering in Petaluma

Maury & julie,

I know it really matters who you get at any DMV office as to how well it might go, but. I made an appointment at my local Petaluma DMV, and experience to register my trailer last November could not have been better, less than one hour and the only pain was the check that I wrote, in fact I just wrote a number in the value box……no invoice needed, just my word. Really, California can be OK.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself Dave . I hardly hear any Iowa jokes any more so things are getting better .
What, did people used to tell corney jokes about folks in Iowa?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
I will check out the AAA route to see what they might have to say and will post any results.
Guess I was a lucky one.

I was able get a license for our trailer from a local AAA office prior to going to Chilliwack. They took the Escape paperwork, did a currency conversion to collect the fees and issued me the license plate. Took about 20 minutes.

I guess it depends upon the individual handling the licensing.
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What, did people used to tell corney jokes about folks in Iowa?

Ron
When I was a kid MANY years ago , I had two joke books.
One was Ollie & Lena jokes ,the other was Iowa jokes.
As I remember the Iowa jokes were rather "Corney".
Old 04-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I've got Olle and Lena in Iowa jokes......

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I was at a park conference once when a Minnesota speaker told an unkind Iowa joke. My boss and my commissioner both native Iowans did not appreciate the joke. My boss
Asked me if I had a Minnesota comeback. Then said " Take her"
I raised my hand and she called in me. I said " What do they call two dead hogs and a tractor that won't start?" She gave me a blank stare.
"Minnesota State Fair"
That got me a reprimand from the Executive Diector. I reminded him that he worked for me not the other way around. He pretty much did not like me after that. I can hold my own. And take it too
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
I was at a park conference once when a Minnesota speaker told an unkind Iowa joke. My boss and my commissioner both native Iowans did not appreciate the joke. My boss
Asked me if I had a Minnesota comeback. Then said " Take her"
I raised my hand and she called in me. I said " What do they call two dead hogs and a tractor that won't start?" She gave me a blank stare.
"Minnesota State Fair"
That got me a reprimand from the Executive Diector. I reminded him that he worked for me not the other way around. He pretty much did not like me after that. I can hold my own. And take it too
Dave
Somehow I imagine you have lots of Cheesehead ones up your sleeve too....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
AAA won't do it, trust me. They used to. Kinda like your local bank used to do notary for you but not anymore, except for bank business.

The DMV experiences are a symptom, and think we should all push back when we get this bullying. Write letters-Susan did with a very rude camp host at Flathead Lake, MT and got a concerned reply from State Park officials.

So Garberville is probably one to avoid. Alturas for us was good. except to be fair a supervisor from Redding was there and able to parse through the nuance of the dreaded import trailer

For California- stay rural, and stay inland
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #40

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Somehow I imagine you have lots of Cheesehead ones up your sleeve too....
Living part time in Wisconsin , I avoid telling cheese head jokes.
It takes too much time and effort to explain them.
Green Bay residents have the hardest time but that's to be expected.