Traveling to BC for new Escape. Need NC registration - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Trailer: New Escape 19 on order
Traveling to BC for new Escape. Need NC registration

I have ordered an Escape 19 and so excited. My wife and I will be traveling from North Carolina to pick it up and then do a tour of Western Parks. How is the registration and plates handled? It appears I can get some sort of temporary plate but it is for 10 days. How do I stay out West for a while?
renglish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Congrats on the Escape coming! You talk to your state about plates for a trailer being imported from Canada. Someone from NC can give their situation but this seems to vary from office to office. Escape will provide you with paperwork about a month in advance of when your unit will be finished.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:11 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Several states require inspection prior to plate issuance, if you have your old one take it and transfer once you arrive back home, otherwise your paperwork should suffice until you finally get home. AFAIK no one has had any issues traveling without a plate after pick up.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I was unable to secure plates. Towed for about 4000 miles before plates were secured. No problem with towing without plates. I guess if I was pulled over for breaking laws, the lack of plates might have been questioned, but I was in no hurry.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 1721
We picked up our Escape in July and were able to secure a NC plate before we left. Overall, it was a fairly painless process.

In NC, trailers are registered just like a car. Follow the process for purchasing from a Dealer and you will be fine. You'll need to get Escape to notarize the Certificate of Origin (title) and have them complete the Damage and Odometer Disclosure Statements. These docs can be downloaded from the DMV. We calculated what we actually paid in USD and asked Escape to include that amount on the Bill of Sale. That helps the DMV determine the sales tax. Please note, the notarization does come with a fee.

A few weeks before your completion date, Escape will send you all the paperwork which includes import docs, bill of sale, and so on. We took all papers to the DMV, but only gave them the ones required on the website. The lady we spoke with did need to call someone about establishing sales tax, but she was directed to determine the tax based off the cost in USD noted on the Bill of Sale.

We did need to pay $5 in cash for something (can't remember what), so bring a little cash. You also have the option to purchase a permanent plate instead of a standard plate. A permanent plate cost more, but it eliminates the annual plate fee for as long as you own your Escape. The breakeven point is 3 years.

It was nice being able to put the plate on in Washington and not have to worry about being pulled. Though, I don't recall ever hearing about someone being pulled on the forum. Enjoy your new Escape!
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
We camped for 4.5 months and about 6500 miles this summer without plates on our new trailer. No one, other than a few camping neighbors, noticed. Not even some law enforcement officials that happened to be driving behind us a couple of times.

There was one minor exception to the above. We went back into Canada for a few weeks and returned to the US via Sumas, WA. The US customs official was a little suspicious of the missing plate, but I showed him all the paperwork from Escape and the import paperwork and all was good. He didn’t even bother (or forgot) to charge the import duty on the wine that we collected in Osoyoos (which I declared when I first pulled up).
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
We picked up our Escape in July and were able to secure a NC plate before we left. Overall, it was a fairly painless process.

In NC, trailers are registered just like a car. Follow the process for purchasing from a Dealer and you will be fine. You'll need to get Escape to notarize the Certificate of Origin (title) and have them complete the Damage and Odometer Disclosure Statements. These docs can be downloaded from the DMV. We calculated what we actually paid in USD and asked Escape to include that amount on the Bill of Sale. That helps the DMV determine the sales tax. Please note, the notarization does come with a fee.

A few weeks before your completion date, Escape will send you all the paperwork which includes import docs, bill of sale, and so on. We took all papers to the DMV, but only gave them the ones required on the website. The lady we spoke with did need to call someone about establishing sales tax, but she was directed to determine the tax based off the cost in USD noted on the Bill of Sale.

We did need to pay $5 in cash for something (can't remember what), so bring a little cash. You also have the option to purchase a permanent plate instead of a standard plate. A permanent plate cost more, but it eliminates the annual plate fee for as long as you own your Escape. The breakeven point is 3 years.

It was nice being able to put the plate on in Washington and not have to worry about being pulled. Though, I don't recall ever hearing about someone being pulled on the forum. Enjoy your new Escape!
Was there no discussion or need for an inspection for the trailer.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by renglish6 View Post
Was there no discussion or need for an inspection for the trailer.
Nope. Not required in NC.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #9

I think the $5 cash in NC is for a notary at that DMV office to notarize something. It happens every time we register a vehicle. I always wonder where that money goes.

We're going to try to get our plate before we leave to pickup our 21 in June 18' !!! Can't wait !
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #10

Thanks for spot on info. Plates secured today with no hassle. When we pick up the trailer in early August we will be permanently registered. Whoo hoo! Hey this is getting real!