Used Buyers be Aware - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
currinh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Box Elder, South Dakota
Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Posts: 347
Not selling our 19, nor buying another one.

But we've been planning a trip to Idaho and Montana for this summer. But wow, at these rates we might be able to travel up into BC. WooHoo.
__________________

__________________
Hugh Currin
2018 Bigfoot 25'
2018 RAM 2500 Diesel
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Western, Colorado
Trailer: 17b
Posts: 145
"What is an exchange rate bobble in trade for a summer?"

Sally hit the nail on the head.


And best wishes!
__________________

Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 13,554
I think that awareness of the exchange rate and the resulting effect on the new price is good information for buyers. On the other hand, this is only really relevant for those comparing a used purchase from a U.S. owner to a purchase (new or used) from ETI or a private owner in Canada.

For us here in Canada, the changing relative value of the U.S. dollar has no immediate effect on the price of a new trailer, or the price of a used trailer in Canada. A used trailer in Canada will still be priced lower than a new trailer (which of course is also in Canada), regardless of the buyer's location. Buying a used Escape from the U.S. and re-importing to Canada is now even less attractive, but it's not like there's a big selection of these anyway. Of course, new prices will go up as required to compensate for rising costs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #24
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
Hi, all, I'm back. And have my own personal answer to 'buyer beware.' Yes, if you have all the time in the world, or think you do, wait. But life doesn't always go by the book. I had that brand new 21, then had lung cancer. Sold the 21, had surgery and chemo. Ordered a new 17, then worried about not being able to use it, so cancelled. Last month my 1 year CT was clear, and when Dave Okimoto's 17B came up for sale, I sure jumped on it! What is an exchange rate bobble in trade for a summer? Will be picking it up next week and taking it to Chilliwack for a solar retrofit. As Donna says, YMMV.

And through all this, I can't express my gratitude enough to Tammie for her understanding.
You are so right Sally! Life can sure throw you some curve balls. Great story. Good for you.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Delta, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 271
We recently sold our 2010 5.0. It took over 6 months (it will actually be 10 months when the buyer picks up the trailer in April). Early on I realized that the spectre of converting to Canadian dollars was troubling to some US buyers. For that reason I listed the selling prices in Canadian or US dollars (Canadians face this all the time - Magazine prices are a good example - the US vs Can price have nothing to do with the exchange rate). No conversion needed (I will deal with that). Back in September the prices I quoted favoured the US buyer (I was going to take a loss on the conversion of 2 or 3 percent). When the trailer sold the Canadian dollar was dropping. The buyer was fully aware of that but was happy with the US price. Even now when we speak he jokes that I am going to make some money, but has never suggested that I should lower the price. It has not affected him one iota as he is still paying what we agreed he would pay. However, even now I am not completely sure what I will receive in Canadian Dollars but it will be close enough to what I was asking. A new trailer was never an option for him. He wanted the smaller 5.0 or nothing.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Allendale, New Jersey
Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Posts: 251
I really think the exchange rate is a moot point if purchasing used from the US marketplace. Demand is high and supply is low. I would be all over a lightly used 19' just a few hours from me on the East Coast if the layout was to my liking at these prices. That would also mean eating a $500 deposit for one on order. Wait till Spring these TT will be sold.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bend, Oregon
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 146
I think the OP's post was appropriate. As stated earlier, it was not in the Classifieds and was for buyer education purposes, not to slam current sellers. All non-Canadian buyers are somewhat at the whim of current exchange rates when they buy and sell. We all take that risk, some will 'win' and some will 'lose', but hopefully we all 'win' by getting the trailer we want. Also, as stated earlier, there will always be buyers who want/need their trailer now, not in 8-10 months, and will help support the used market. Just my two cents worth as a very recent buyer.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,868
Anybody that concerned with the Canadian dollar lowering in value to the US dollar can always buy US dollars today. What's there to loose? A US dollar will always be worth a US dollar in the United States and a Canadian dollar will always be worth a dollar in Canada.
Your only gain or loss is when you sell or use the currency.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
t-twnbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 188
The favorable exchange rate is not only a good time buy, it's an excellent opportunity to add more stuff to the build sheet that one would normally pass on. Adding the solar package and inverter now seems to be with in reach. Decisions decisions!!
__________________
2013 GMC Sierra CC Max Tow
2011 Casita 17 SD-sold
2015 Escape 5.0TA-sold
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Allendale, New Jersey
Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Posts: 251
I don't think it was appropriate to call out the ONLY three Escape's for sale in the US. I even think they might have even tried buying one and were not happy with the results.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
The favorable exchange rate is not only a good time buy, it's an excellent opportunity to add more stuff to the build sheet that one would normally pass on. Adding the solar package and inverter now seems to be with in reach. Decisions decisions!!
You're absolutely right but you'd have to also pay for those upgrades before the rates change.
If you live in Canada, and are thinking about a purchase such as an Escape, or upgrades to a build sheet, why not start US account (at any bank) and deposit a few grand. If you later change your mind, or situations change, the money is there for US vacations, US camp grounds or what ever.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Milligan, Tennessee
Trailer: 1999 Itasca
Posts: 5
Buyers be Aware

Well, my post has certainly sparked some interest!

CPAHarley2008 was correct I should have made the title different If not his "Used Buyers Beware" maybe "Used Buyers be Aware!"

Please appreciate that my position right now is as a BUYER! I'm not trying "thwart" the attempts of the sellers but inform fellow buyers to the facts. Many probably know these facts but it appeared that many sellers weren't factoring that into there prices. As consumers (buyers), we can only affect prices by our willingness or unwillingness to accept the prices out there. ECON 101

Many factors go into that willingness:
- Price
- Availability (Supply & Demand)
- Exchange Rate (in this case)
- Ability or willingness to wait for new (October 2015 for 5.0 TA)
- Non-Transferable Warranties.

For me, I have more time (I hope) than money. Although, my wife was diagnosed with cancer a year and a half ago (With the Lord's help we've beat it!), price is still a big factor for us. And also my unwillingness to pay more for a used trailer than new, just doesn't make sense in my book. So I'd have to wait for new or until a seller realizes that they can't expect to get New prices for their Used trailers.

Whether I have lots of money or none, a lifetime or weeks I always fall back on the principle of fairness.

A final word! ETI could help their product sales and support used resale's by making their 2-year warranty transferable. Probably can't do anything about the appliance warranties!


Planned_Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planned_Escape View Post
...As consumers (buyers), we can only affect prices by our willingness or unwillingness to accept the prices out there...

...price is still a big factor for us. And also my unwillingness to pay more for a used trailer than new, just doesn't make sense in my book. So I'd have to wait for new or until a seller realizes that they can't expect to get New prices for their Used trailers....
Any trailer, new or used, is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The combination of long waits for new, combined with high quality and high demand could very well drive prices of used to very close to those of new. Many of the older Trilliums, bolers, scamps, and other molded fiberglass trailers will command a resale price today that exceeds their original purchase price many years ago.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Western, Colorado
Trailer: 17b
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Any trailer, new or used, is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The combination of long waits for new, combined with high quality and high demand could very well drive prices of used to very close to those of new. Many of the older Trilliums, bolers, scamps, and other molded fiberglass trailers will command a resale price today that exceeds their original purchase price many years ago.
Would that be true if one factors in inflation?
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
Would that be true if one factors in inflation?
It could be true but maybe a little difficult to attain in most cases. For example, in Canada it appears that average annual inflation over the past 30 yrs has been about 2-2.5% per yr. If you bought a new trailer 30 yrs ago for $5000 (and I do not know if that is a realistic price 30 yrs ago), it would have to be worth something like $10500 today if it kept its value with about 2.5% inflation considered. Based on what I see in the classified ads for fiberglass rv's, $10k for a 30 yr old fiberglass trailer is on the upper end of the price scale.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
I don't think it was appropriate to call out the ONLY three Escape's for sale in the US. I even think they might have even tried buying one and were not happy with the results.
My thoughts too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planned_Escape View Post
I'm not trying "thwart" the attempts of the sellers but inform fellow buyers to the facts.

Although, my wife was diagnosed with cancer a year and a half ago (With the Lord's help we've beat it!), price is still a big factor for us
But, I do think all buyers already are aware of the facts, and the difference in exchange rates, and are capable of making their own decisions. They don't need any of us to point out the obvious to them.

My best wishes go out to your wife, who will hopefully nip this cancer thing in the bud. As a bit of hope for her, almost 26 years ago I was diagnosed with Leukaemia, back when they were just starting to have successes with it. I was declared clean over 20 years ago, and live as proof that cancer can be beaten.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 13,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
... For example, in Canada it appears that average annual inflation over the past 30 yrs has been about 2-2.5% per yr. If you bought a new trailer 30 yrs ago for $5000 (and I do not know if that is a realistic price 30 yrs ago), it would have to be worth something like $10500 today if it kept its value with about 2.5% inflation considered.
Another approach is to use the StatsCan Consumer Price Index tables. They say that from 1985 to 2014 the index (which is relative to 2002 prices) when from 60.6 to 125.2, a factor of 2.07 times, so that $5,000 trailer would be equivalent to $10,330 now. It's the same as Dave's numbers, but it's easy to pick any year and doesn't assume a constant inflation rate. I assume that there is a U.S. equivalent.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Milligan, Tennessee
Trailer: 1999 Itasca
Posts: 5
I disagree, it isn't that obvious!

First, Many people automatically assume a dollar is a dollar not thinking about the exchange rate (unless you're living on the border and crossing over a lot). And I think a lot of the sellers are hoping for that with the prices they're trying to get.

Second, Escape doesn't state anywhere on their trailer pages that the funds are Canadian. In fact I called and asked before I posted so I knew that they were Canadian dollars (so I wouldn't look stupid)! It might be somewhere on their site but not on any of the pages I hit. So, one could again easily assume that a dollar is a dollar.

Third, many US buyers are looking at US built trailers where the exchange rate doesn't apply so it's easy to just think they're comparing apple to apples. Especially, if they're looking at new.

Thanks for the Best Wishes, we hope in 20 years we'll still be saying we beat it too!

All the Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My thoughts too.

But, I do think all buyers already are aware of the facts, and the difference in exchange rates, and are capable of making their own decisions. They don't need any of us to point out the obvious to them.

My best wishes go out to your wife, who will hopefully nip this cancer thing in the bud. As a bit of hope for her, almost 26 years ago I was diagnosed with Leukaemia, back when they were just starting to have successes with it. I was declared clean over 20 years ago, and live as proof that cancer can be beaten.
Planned_Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
gabeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planned_Escape View Post
I disagree, it isn't that obvious!

First, Many people automatically assume a dollar is a dollar not thinking about the exchange rate (unless you're living on the border and crossing over a lot). And I think a lot of the sellers are hoping for that with the prices they're trying to get.

Second, Escape doesn't state anywhere on their trailer pages that the funds are Canadian. In fact I called and asked before I posted so I knew that they were Canadian dollars (so I wouldn't look stupid)! It might be somewhere on their site but not on any of the pages I hit. So, one could again easily assume that a dollar is a dollar.

Third, many US buyers are looking at US built trailers where the exchange rate doesn't apply so it's easy to just think they're comparing apple to apples. Especially, if they're looking at new.

Thanks for the Best Wishes, we hope in 20 years we'll still be saying we beat it too!

All the Best!
When we go to a US website with intent to purchase we always assume the cost to be in US dollars and likewise Canadian website - Canadian dollars . Always assume there is an exchange rate after all two different countries with their own currencies .
Reading your posts one might think you have had a disappointing experience with a seller who was not willing to meet a price you were comfortable with . Sorry if you have had that experience , but it doesn't really mean a seller is being "unfair" as they would be the only ones to determine what selling is worth to them . Just as it is up to a buyer to decide what they want to pay . Think of all there wonderful times you will have with your brand new Escape - and the fun picking your options !
We too wish your wife a healthy happy future . Been there too (twice ) , to know that Jim Bennett has 25 years cancer free is truly very inspiring !
__________________
All things in life are easier to swallow with a good cup of tea .....
gabeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
LarryandLiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maple Ridge, BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planned_Escape View Post
I disagree, it isn't that obvious!

Second, Escape doesn't state anywhere on their trailer pages that the funds are Canadian. In fact I called and asked before I posted so I knew that they were Canadian dollars (so I wouldn't look stupid)! It might be somewhere on their site but not on any of the pages I hit. So, one could again easily assume that a dollar is a dollar
Anyone buying anything in a country different then their own should be able to figure out that they will be dealing with that country's currency. Says this long suffering Proud Canadian
__________________

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
price, wanted

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×