Used Buyers be Aware - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #81

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post

Actually i'm not happy when the Canadian dollar goes down because we have some Canadian stock in our Retirement funds and it has lost some value but I still think Canada should do well when Saudia Arabia stops bringing down oil prices .Jim
Actually, your Canadian stocks haven't lost any value. Their worth is in Canadian dollars and you haven't lost or gained any money until you sell. A lower value, on paper, of the Canadian dollar can often make a Canadian stock a better deal for the purchaser with foreign dollars. Some people are investors and some people are traders. YMMV.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #82
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I guess one could order a new one now for $500.00 and then wait for Canadian dollars to go down further if it does and then pay in full.
I'd pull the trigger now. There's no guarantee that the CAD will go lower, and you're getting a great deal at the current rates.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Also a potential bump up in build dates. It happens.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Do build dates change? We missed a 5 TA in florida We just saw Alf "s 5 TA yesterday and then sent e-mail to other seller and it was sold . It was the same price as a delivered new one but we could get it now , Do you think buying it now with full payment is a good idea? Loosing interest or stock/bond appreciation?
Getting it in October is loosing the summer . I guess one could order a new one now for $500.00 and then wait for Canadian dollars to go down further if it does and then pay in full.

Actually i'm not happy when the Canadian dollar goes down because we have some Canadian stock in our Retirement funds and it has lost some value but I still think Canada should do well when Saudia Arabia stops bringing down oil prices .Jim
Hi: jennykatz... Sorry we took so long showing and the trailer sold.
Now you have the opportunity to pick the options you need for your specific style of camping... not to mention the truck you want and to sell your trailer after the next season of use.
Sometimes a sizable deposit/ partial payment will mean some advance on the build date. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
FMB Florida for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #85
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Actually, your Canadian stocks haven't lost any value. Their worth is in Canadian dollars and you haven't lost or gained any money until you sell. A lower value, on paper, of the Canadian dollar can often make a Canadian stock a better deal for the purchaser with foreign dollars. Some people are investors and some people are traders. YMMV.
A very good point. It isn't a 'realized' loss. I trade currency, so in my case, I don't care if the CAD is higher or the USD is higher. What I'm looking for is movement. Movement in either direction can make me money. A stagnant value? Not so much.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #86

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Sometimes a sizable deposit/ partial payment will mean some advance on the build date.
Does this mean a build date can be bought?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #87

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think that means if there is a cancellation and ETI has a choice of moving someone next in line that the person who has all their paperwork completed and in ETI's possession and all the payments have been made is more apt to be able to take advantage of the last minute opening versus someone who has a $500 hold on a certain date without options nor build sheet,nor other paperwork completed. We all know that snail mail is slow. I was able to get my first Escape in approximately 8 weeks due to a cancellation and the fact I had completed and sent all the necessary paperwork and payments..
Old 02-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #88
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Does this mean a build date can be bought?
I think it means that money talks Karen, both in Canada and the US. The closest thing to a universal language that we have.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #89

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
In my case it was a simply being at the right place at the right time. I went to Chilliwack in November to look, I put down my $500 deposit on "Escaping Reality" and before I had a chance to blink there were 2 dates in January that had just opened.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #90

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiej757 View Post
I just ordered a new 17B figuring it would cost about the same a used one, if I could find one for sale. Having to wait till Oct for delivery we'll miss this summer season but we feel it's worth it.
It also depends on "how long in the tooth you are". At my age I could loose upwards to 10% (hopefully not more) of future camping opportunities if I were to forego one year of camping.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #91

Trailer: 17b
Having fun now is worth a lot to me.**

But if you look at the loonie and current predictions, it's not going to move either way enough to make a huge diff, IMO. Right now it's around .80 and the worst (best for us) predictions I've seen are that it would go to .75 or even .71, but not until later this year. Of course, that was a Goldman-Sachs prediction, and they've been off lots of times.

**I'm a Baby Boomer and like instant gratification.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #92

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Alf I can't thank you enough I think Bob sold it on Sunday so it wasn't meant to be. I was busy the week before with visitors from up north and still putting in a driveway . I just talked to Escape it's $500.00 Canadian for a build date .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #93

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think that means if there is a cancellation and ETI has a choice of moving someone next in line that the person who has all their paperwork completed and in ETI's possession and all the payments have been made is more apt to be able to take advantage of the last minute opening versus someone who has a $500 hold on a certain date without options nor build sheet,nor other paperwork completed. We all know that snail mail is slow. I was able to get my first Escape in approximately 8 weeks due to a cancellation and the fact I had completed and sent all the necessary paperwork and payments..
I agree. We sent an email to ETI saying we had the funds, build sheet ready, fabric and formica on it's way, and we could pick it up ASAP. Our build moved up a couple months a few months later when something changed in the schedule. We received our new 19 in August instead of Novmber
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #94

Trailer: 1999 Itasca
Just a note! My Oct 10 build date is now June 10 so I won't miss the summer! Which is great because my wife is a teacher!

I just asked that if someone cancelled could they move it into that position. They'll put you on a list of those people requesting improved dates. In my case I think they added another 5.0 TA to the build schedule and the list got to me!

Another thing to consider on purchasing 6-8 months out is whether you want to risk the change in foreign exchange rates. If it drops you could pay thousands more or if it increases pay less. You can lock it by paying now or going on the exchange and securing a rate for a future date! The latter allows you to lock in for 10% down. The plus is you still control the money (not Escape) so if there are any issues you don't have to depend on them returning it. The negative side is its harder if you want to move in the date.

I'm good with my date so I locked in a rate for my June build date. Now I know exactly what I'm paying. If it goes to $1.30 I'll whine a little bit but I'll still have a new trailer with all its warranties for less than some of the used 5.0 TAs
Planned_Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #95
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planned_Escape View Post
Another thing to consider on purchasing 6-8 months out is whether you want to risk the change in foreign exchange rates. If it drops you could pay thousands more or if it increases pay less. You can lock it by paying now or going on the exchange and securing a rate for a future date! The latter allows you to lock in for 10% down. The plus is you still control the money (not Escape) so if there are any issues you don't have to depend on them returning it. The negative side is its harder if you want to move in the date.
I think you should double-check with Tammy because that's not the way it worked for me. When I took my build sheet up, I wrote a very healthy check. Tammy checked the rate at that moment. When I went to pickup and pay off the balance (wasn't much), she again checked the rate. I don't know if the rate went up or down between the two times. But she definitely checked.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #96

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Or...
Buy Canadian Dollars if you live in the US and/or buy US Dollars if you live in Canada. Select and start a suitable bank account in your country of residence and your ready no matter what happens with the exchange rate.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #97
Site Team

They check the rate and convert for any funds received at the time they receive them. If you put 90% down on one date, you'll get the rate for that date. When you pay the remainder you'll get the rate for that date. Straightforward.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #98

Trailer: 1999 Itasca
Per the contract, remaining funds are due upon completion!

BTW Escape isn't locking the rate! You have to use an exchange company that does forward exchanges. I used USForex and secured a rate for my completion date they send the money in Canadian Dollars to Escape then.
Planned_Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #99
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planned_Escape View Post
Per the contract, remaining funds are due upon completion!

BTW Escape isn't locking the rate! You have to use an exchange company that does forward exchanges. I used USForex and secured a rate for my completion date they send the money in Canadian Dollars to Escape then.
OK, now that's clear. You are using a FOREX account. Might be an advantage to lock in today's good rate. You never know what it will be months from now.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #100

i cannot believe the talk around exchange rates. simply put if your us dollar buys more, then that is the way to go. say you wanted a pair of shoes and the merchant says that will be x number of dollars. then you pay for them. in the trailer case you have to wait for delivery. now the interesting part is that the trailer is x dollars at time of order. if the dollars are at par then the purchase price stands. soooo when you buy take the money from your funds put the funds in a special account---awaiting delivery. the sale has been completed. because the full balance is not due until delivery, you can have the exchange rate play with your money. if the exchange moves positive for you then let it ride. vice versa you can sell and rebuy. right now the US funds are worth more than canadian---- a bonus for US customers. now if this brain surgeon hasn't convinced you more schooling is needed
tmorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, wanted