WA Title issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2022, 09:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
WA Title issue

Having just moved to Washington state, I needed to register and title my Escape 21 in the new state. However, when attempting to title it, the state licensing office looks up the trailer to establish its value. The system does not know about Escape Trailer Industries. I explained it was a fiberglass trailer made in Canada. I showed them paperwork that had ETI information on it.

It seems you can only use what they have in their system. They asked if it was made by KZ, since they have a model called Escape. I said no. They showed me a picture of the KZ Escape, I said that wasn't it, but it was about the right size. Apparently, they can only use what is in their system. So, my title will state KZRV as the manufacturer and Escape 21 as the model.

I know there are many Escape owners in Washington. Did you have this issue? What does your title say? How did you get it corrected?

I am not sure if this is problem or not if I ever try to sell my Escape.
Thanks for any info or advice.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One would think with Chilliwack so close, a phone call would help?
Old 01-25-2022, 10:50 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's LOTS of Escape trailer owners in Washington State. Someone will be along shortly. But I can tell you, the standard line if you can't get what you need from one DMV office is to go to a different one! Good luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
I had the same issue a year ago. The trailer was already licensed in WA. I was simply putting it in my name. I had them look up Cassita trailers and took in photos of my Escape. They taxed me on value of a Cassita same year. And kept my photos for their records.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
There are many Escapes registered in WA so there must be a way for you to get it done. First suggestion has already been mentioned... go to a different registration office. I used the county office without any problem after a private company started making things difficult. Also maybe contact Escape and see if you can get a copy of the original manufacturers statement of origin if you don't have it in your records. Possibly somebody who lives in Pierce County can give you some local info on what they did, or maybe get their license plate number to use as a tutorial for your clerk.

One lesson learned is that WA will have you pay taxes on it based on their estimated value of when it was new. They have a form you can use to say that the trailer is not new and has some damage or something not working. If you use this form and say it is not new and not in excellent condition your tax will drop significantly. I mentioned a ding in the floor and a wall, both very minor, but my resulting tax was 40% of what they wanted to first charge. Good luck working with WA officialdom.

Stay healthy and safe travels,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
Having just moved to Washington state, I needed to register and title my Escape 21 in the new state. However, when attempting to title it, the state licensing office looks up the trailer to establish its value. The system does not know about Escape Trailer Industries. I explained it was a fiberglass trailer made in Canada. I showed them paperwork that had ETI information on it.

It seems you can only use what they have in their system. They asked if it was made by KZ, since they have a model called Escape. I said no. They showed me a picture of the KZ Escape, I said that wasn't it, but it was about the right size. Apparently, they can only use what is in their system. So, my title will state KZRV as the manufacturer and Escape 21 as the model.

I know there are many Escape owners in Washington. Did you have this issue? What does your title say? How did you get it corrected?

I am not sure if this is problem or not if I ever try to sell my Escape.
Thanks for any info or advice.
I have registered two new Escapes in Snohomish WA with no problems. I’m assuming you are the original owners and have at least copies of all the paperwork that came with the trailer when it was new. I would go to another licensing office and take all the original paperwork with you,
The fact that your title says a totally different manufacturer could be an issue in a couple ways. If you get into an accident the sticky is worth a ton less in value then the Escape and the title is what your insurance company will most likely use to value the loose.
If you ever want to sell your trailer I can’t imagine the new buyer would accept the title the way it is.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I had no problem either with a new Escape or a used never registered in the US one. I agree-different office. My DOL person was willing to figure it out and she did.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I have registered two new Escapes in Snohomish WA with no problems. I’m assuming you are the original owners and have at least copies of all the paperwork that came with the trailer when it was new.
Not the original owners. And hard to believe that once the tax has been paid in another state to title/register that one would have to pay tax again in WA. Really?
Old 01-25-2022, 07:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Not the original owners. And hard to believe that once the tax has been paid in another state to title/register that one would have to pay tax again in WA. Really?
No you don’t have to pay tax again, you just need to register it. The original paperwork might give the Licensing department who Escape is so the title is correct.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Interesting, and good news, that folks are not getting taxed anymore when they bring in a trailer and register it the first time in WA. When we brought our stick built to WA in 2002 was when we had to do the reduced value form thing to reduce the tax Snohomish county charged to title and register it up here. They said that all new to WA RVs, boats, etc had to pay an excise/luxury tax based on the original price as they found it. This even though the original sales and other taxes were paid at the time of purchase in AZ. It was their version of a luxury/excise tax they collect because they don't get the sales tax.

When we brought our new Escape to Clallam county in 2017 all we had to pay was the sales tax. They immediately went to the Canadian dollars cost and I had to explain, and document, the US dollars cost, which was about 25% less. But there was no issue with them finding Escape brand trailers as a company.

Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 94 sportmobile, 70' travco, 86' u haul, 13' escape 19'
changing a vt title to a new york title, you need to pay full value at time of purchase tax amount. they do not care that you allready paid vt the tax when you bought it there. their response is " new your is not a reciprocal tax state with vt" WTF they have no way to look up the value so you have to go to a nys licensed dealer for an estimated value. ugh !
raydsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:24 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydsimmons View Post
changing a vt title to a new york title, you need to pay full value at time of purchase tax amount. they do not care that you allready paid vt the tax when you bought it there. their response is " new your is not a reciprocal tax state with vt" WTF they have no way to look up the value so you have to go to a nys licensed dealer for an estimated value. ugh !
Based upon your avatar, you have spent a lot of time on transfers.......