When to sell? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #1

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
When to sell?

After 5 years and over 20,00 miles in a pop up tent trailer, we've just ordered an Escape 19. So now we need to sell the Flagstaff and I'm not sure when to put it on the market. My gut feeling is March would be a good time to start advertising, but I'm wondering if earlier might be better.

Any opinions? I've always been good at buying, but actually selling something is a new concept.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Certainly before the beginning of camping season in the Pacific NorthWET. March is good, often those folks who may be getting tax refund have that extra cash to spend towards something they want... at least that's what I always did. With a tent trailer, the worst time is at the end of camping season, unless you're willing to take far less for the product. IMHO

Perhaps start with any free advertising you can get to test the waters.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It doesn't hurt to list it now, remember it is warm in some part of the country year round!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
As I was picking up Egbert in May of this year, I listed my Flagstaff pop-up on Craig's List in late March; it sold within a few days, oddly enough to a young family from Vancouver, B.C., as their entry-level trailer. Don't be disappointed in what you get for it--just be glad it's gone and that an Escape is on the way!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #5

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
As I was picking up Egbert in May of this year, I listed my Flagstaff pop-up on Craig's List in late March; it sold within a few days, oddly enough to a young family from Vancouver, B.C., as their entry-level trailer. Don't be disappointed in what you get for it--just be glad it's gone and that an Escape is on the way!
I am not expecting top dollar. We've had a lot of fun in it, but we're getting older and are looking forward to a more convenient style of traveling. It would make a great trailer for a young couple with children.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealmccarter View Post
I am not expecting top dollar. We've had a lot of fun in it, but we're getting older and are looking forward to a more convenient style of traveling. It would make a great trailer for a young couple with children.
When you want the head out somewhere in the morning after a rainy night you will not miss packing up the wet popup. For us, that was one of the reasons we sold our popup and moved into hardsided. If you are listing it at a reasonable price, it seems that popup can sell pretty fast - at least our Coleman did.

You will love your Escape!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Most people go looking for bargains in colder climates at this time of year. I remember my last trailer, a 24' sticky, I bought in mid December for a fantastic deal. When I sold it, I did so in early May, as around here May long weekend is typically the first camping trip. I got a great price for it then. Like others have mentioned, I would wait until at least April to list it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Thinking that's when most buyers (best weather ahead) would be out there I wasn't able to get my previous FB trailer ready for what I thought would be the best time to sell it, April-May-June. So I was upset. A lot of trailers seemed up on eBay then. By mid August I was ready, and worried, because I don't recall there being more than one or two up. But, it sold, and in fact I got a holy-cow good price, well over expectations because, I think, there was no competition. 33 bids!

If they want the trailer they want the trailer.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote